Torment 8.1 Damn you Tail How you Torment me so

Love the Torment 8.1 model but that Tail is a Pain in the Arse to adjust. Yes pun in tendended on multipule levels let me have my fun. Any suggestions on moving it about or how to wrap it around things such as a wrist, pole, waist, make it poke someone like a finger jab , basically treat it like an extra finger/limb. It is not user friendly like many other tail models in my experience. Any advice welcome.

Jacob

Comments

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 898

Have you tried selecting the tail and using the pose control dials for it in the Parameters Tab? Other than that, posing it manually joint-by-joint is going to be your best way to get detailed poses such as wrapping around an object. It's definitely a tedious posing job, but would produce the best results because you can control each area and keep them from clipping into the object you're wrapping the tail around. For example, when making the Essential Poses for Torment 8.1 set, I used a combination of the pose control dials and adjusting manually. The pose control dials can get you the rough pose quickly, then you can make adjustments from there. I would also suggest that if you get a pose that you like and think you'll need anything similar in the future, save a hierarchical pose preset so you can have that pose as a starting point for future ones. That could save you tons of time later on! :)

• CheetahkaCheetahka Posts: 168

Quixotry said:

Have you tried selecting the tail and using the pose control dials for it in the Parameters Tab? Other than that, posing it manually joint-by-joint is going to be your best way to get detailed poses such as wrapping around an object. It's definitely a tedious posing job, but would produce the best results because you can control each area and keep them from clipping into the object you're wrapping the tail around. For example, when making the Essential Poses for Torment 8.1 set, I used a combination of the pose control dials and adjusting manually. The pose control dials can get you the rough pose quickly, then you can make adjustments from there. I would also suggest that if you get a pose that you like and think you'll need anything similar in the future, save a hierarchical pose preset so you can have that pose as a starting point for future ones. That could save you tons of time later on! :)

Hiya Quixotry,

Yeah I've tried using the pose controls after selecting tail, I just wish there was a bit more flexibility/control though them is all. When I try to tweak the tail manually it just starts to look "off" is the best way I can put it. I'll chalk it up to practice. But your right Using a preset and following up with tweaks is the better way to go at this time I have a script from daz that locks body parts in place so you can use other poses w/o messing up a current position you like. I've yet to try it with a tail however.

How do you save the Hierarchy as in your suggestion above could you give an example please?

Sincerely,

Jacob

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 898

Hi Jacob,

Yeah, tails can be fiddly and sometimes it just is a matter of practice.And it seems as if every tail bends a bit differently, too. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it as you get used to how everything bends!

So, with a hierarchical preset, you're basically saving a pose for more than one object: the character and the prop that's parented to it. It's pretty easy. Go to Save As... > Hierarchical Pose Preset. A window will come up that looks like the regular pose preset save window, and you'll see a bunch of checked boxes. One will be called Hip (if I'm remembering correctly) and that's your character's Hip node. The tail will be there as well. Probably also the eyelashes and tear wearables. I usually delete those and any clothes or hair before saving h.poses, just so they're out of the way and I just have the character and the tail.

You can uncheck any box that belongs to a bone you don't want to save the pose for. You can even just save the tail's pose by unchecking everything except the tail's parts. I'm not able to take screenshots of the process at the moment, but if that's not a clear enough explanation, let me know and I'll do a quick little step-by-step with pictures for you that might be easier to follow. :)

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

I wonder if you can put an IK chain onto it and manipulate it by moving a null around.

• CheetahkaCheetahka Posts: 168

Quixotry said:

Hi Jacob,

Yeah, tails can be fiddly and sometimes it just is a matter of practice.And it seems as if every tail bends a bit differently, too. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it as you get used to how everything bends!

So, with a hierarchical preset, you're basically saving a pose for more than one object: the character and the prop that's parented to it. It's pretty easy. Go to Save As... > Hierarchical Pose Preset. A window will come up that looks like the regular pose preset save window, and you'll see a bunch of checked boxes. One will be called Hip (if I'm remembering correctly) and that's your character's Hip node. The tail will be there as well. Probably also the eyelashes and tear wearables. I usually delete those and any clothes or hair before saving h.poses, just so they're out of the way and I just have the character and the tail.

You can uncheck any box that belongs to a bone you don't want to save the pose for. You can even just save the tail's pose by unchecking everything except the tail's parts. I'm not able to take screenshots of the process at the moment, but if that's not a clear enough explanation, let me know and I'll do a quick little step-by-step with pictures for you that might be easier to follow. :)

I'm so into Step by Steps if you would be so kind! I'm very visually oriented Please and Thank you Should you find the time to do so I would be most grateful!