Nasa Free 3D Models

SpeculativismSpeculativism Posts: 77
edited April 2021 in Freebies

I've looked around and no-one else seems to have posted this link. I apologise if someone has and I just didn't find the thread.

Anyway, here's a link to the Nasa webpage which has freely downloadable 3D models of Earth, The Moon, Mars, Mercury, Saturn and Asteroids, Moons, rockets, etc.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/all/?order=pub_date+desc&per_page=50&page=0&search=&condition_1=1:is_in_resource_list&fs=&fc=324&ft=&dp=&category=324

Post edited by Speculativism on

Comments

• Cool! Thanks

• Thank you for the link!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited April 2021

There may be a small problem. Does anyone have anything that will read the formats available? They seem to be .glb and .usdz, neither of which I have ever heard of before.  Win10 Microsoft Print3D opens the files, but that's a dead end application, it will save in the input format only.

There is an online convertor here: https://anyconv.com/glb-to-obj-converter/ but I prefer to avoid online things like that - who knows when they'll disappear?

Maybe I'm just a stuck-in-the-mud. It does work & the resulting OBJ file has material zones and texture mapping.

Anyway, the scale of the Voyager Probe model appears to be 1 unit approximately equals 1 meter (100cm). Not sure if any of the rest are at anything like that scale.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • spaspa Posts: 42

richardandtracy said:

There may be a small problem. Does anyone have anything that will read the formats available? They seem to be .glb and .usdz, neither of which I have ever heard of before.  Win10 Microsoft Print3D opens the files, but that's a dead end application, it will save in the input format only.

If I remember right Blender can import these files.  From there you can save as obj or fbx

• Ahh. The reasons for trying to get Blender working on my machine despite the AV system deleting the installation file are all stacking up. I may have to make a concerted effort to get it to install. The AV doesn't like the script engine in it for some reason, saying it's a risk. However, as it has been offline for 2 years now, and the AV is getting increasingly out of date. At some point I know I'm going to have to kill it as no longer worth the difficulties it causes. It's a judgement call on when that is.

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284
    edited April 2021

If you don't mind using Windows apps, Windows 3D Builder can open .glb files and you can then save the file in a more common graphic file format (stl, obj, ply). I also use 3D Builder for creating simple models and making minor adjustments in others. Limited functions but easy to use. You can also access their 3D library which is shared with 3d Viewer and Paint 3d. When I use 3D Viewer to download those gtlf files from the NASA site it turns them into glb files which I then open in 3D Builder.

Post edited by Zatetic on
  • ZateticZatetic Posts: 284

I combined one of the free NASA models with a fractal image I made with Mandelbulb3D.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 621

Zatetic said:

If you don't mind using Windows apps, Windows 3D Builder can open .glb files and you can then save the file in a more common graphic file format (stl, obj, ply). I also use 3D Builder for creating simple models and making minor adjustments in others. Limited functions but easy to use. You can also access their 3D library which is shared with 3d Viewer and Paint 3d. When I use 3D Viewer to download those gtlf files from the NASA site it turns them into glb files which I then open in 3D Builder.

Thanks Speculativism & Zatetic!

I was able to use Blender to convert them to .OBJs and import them into DAZ, but I can't figure out how to get the textures to xport over (they're also not showing up when I imported the raw file into Blender, either....)frown

Can I get a little help with that? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ryuu

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

Zatetic said:

Thanks Speculativism & Zatetic!

I was able to use Blender to convert them to .OBJs and import them into DAZ, but I can't figure out how to get the textures to xport over (they're also not showing up when I imported the raw file into Blender, either....)frown

Can I get a little help with that? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ryuu

What's working for me...go into UV editor.  Select the button for "unpack item."  I just click "use file from current directory.  Then in file explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\blender-2.80rc1-windows64\textures  You'll see a weird file.  click on it.  It asks me how I want to open the file because it doesn't recognize it.  I select whatever image program comes up in the suggested list (in my case, I choose Paint).  Paint opened that file, then I save it as something Daz will recognize, either jpg or bmp.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478

rofl

neptune.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 427K
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761
    edited April 2021

I remember getting this rover from the NASA site some years ago.

https://www.deviantart.com/luqu/art/Hasticule-02-843072239

Post edited by lukon100 on