Daz 3D Receives Epic MegaGrant from Epic Games

Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155
edited April 2021 in The Commons

We’re excited to announce that Daz is a recipient of an Epic MegaGrant from Epic Games! This allows us to provide a better experience when you use the Daz to Unreal Bridge and other Daz products.

What Is an Epic MegaGrant?

Epic Games awards these specialized grants to support those who are innovative in their use of the Unreal Engine and/or bettering the 3D graphics community. This includes game developers, enterprise professionals, media and entertainment creators, students, educators, and tool developers. 

In our case, we have the Daz to Unreal Bridge available for free that allows creators to transfer their Daz assets into the Unreal Engine and work from there. Not only is it incredibly easy to use, but it also gives Unreal Engine users access to our versatile and customizable character platform. This fits Epic Games’ description of a project that solves tough problems and improves workflows. We’re very grateful to receive an Epic MegaGrant!

Epic MegaGrants is a $100 million program designed to service and assist game developers, enterprise professionals, media and entertainment creators, students, educators, and tool developers doing outstanding work with Unreal Engine or enhancing open-source capabilities for the 3D graphics community.

What’s Next?

We’re very grateful to receive an Epic MegaGrant as it will help us improve the Daz to Unreal Bridge and add new features. Plus, we plan to convert thousands more of our products and characters as we kick start the storytelling process for Unreal Engine users.

Want to know more about Epic MegaGrants and the application process? Visit this website, and if you have additional questions, have a look at these FAQs.

If you want to start working in the Unreal Engine, check out how you can use Daz Studio for faster game development in Unreal.

Post edited by Daz_Jessica on

Comments

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163

yeah.. we knew about this weeks ago....?

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,901

Khai-J-Bach said:

I didn't. 

I think this is awesome! I downloaded UnReal a month ago or so but haven't installed it, but maybe next week after I finish up this project I'll install it and start playing around with it! 

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163

benniewoodell said:

Khai-J-Bach said:

I didn't. 

I think this is awesome! I downloaded UnReal a month ago or so but haven't installed it, but maybe next week after I finish up this project I'll install it and start playing around with it! 

well it's in the unreal forum here.. and it was announced by Epic weeks ago... and....

• Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

benniewoodell said:

Khai-J-Bach said:

I didn't. 

I think you'll love the Unreal Bridge and there is an Unreal forum here at Daz as well to help with questions and issues.  We update the bridges pretty regularly too. 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,901

Khai-J-Bach said:

benniewoodell said:

Khai-J-Bach said:

I didn't. 

well it's in the unreal forum here.. and it was announced by Epic weeks ago... and....

Well, since I haven't used the UnReal bridge yet, I don't go in that forum and I don't go on Epic websites since, well, I haven't used it. Good for you though on keeping up with everything going on, I'm glad to know someone out there is paying attention to it all. 

I think you'll love the Unreal Bridge and there is an Unreal forum here at Daz as well to help with questions and issues.  We update the bridges pretty regularly too. 

@Daz_Jessica yeah, I've been talking a lot with Sam about the Blender bridge and helping test stuff out with that one, and it looks like now I've got to learn a third program! I love what you guys are doing opening Daz up to other outlets. 

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited April 2021

The Unreal forum here is kinda dead, so I hope announcing this here as well might bring in some experts to help users that are new to Unreal (like me). 

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Congrats.

any plans to bridge carrara?  
    please add skinning support for general rigging.  we can see the bones moving, but the vertex mesh isnt connected.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

SnowSultan said:

The Unreal forum here is kinda dead, so I hope announcing this here as well might bring in some experts to help users that are new to Unreal (like me). 

If you're looking for Unreal support, the best place would be the Unreal forums

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,799

Sevrin said:

SnowSultan said:

not in my experience 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Can you please use some of the money to hire a web person to fix your store search? It's been over five months since you broke it.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I sure hope some of that money gets put into better IK, otherwise all the Unreal users will run screaming as soon as they find out how tedious animating in Daz Studio is.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

xyer0 said:

Can you please use some of the money to hire a web person to fix your store search? It's been over five months since you broke it.

...+1 

edited April 2021

...hmm, downloaded the Unreal Engine a couple months ago, Install went fine but when I booted up the programme it totally froze and I could not close it (even in Task Manager) without rebooting the system   When my system was back up and running I uninstalled it and deleted the installer.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sevrin said:

SnowSultan said:

not in my experience 

LOL, yeah I have to agree with Wendy. So many questions go unanswered over there, including the one question I asked, and at least here, others will know something about Studio and potential compatibility or comparable terminology.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824
    edited April 2021

xyer0 said:

I bet it has to go into Unreal related activities which would makes sense to me, though I understand your sentiment.

Congratulations Daz! 

Post edited by BlueFingers on

I think Daz should take us all out for ice cream.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

BlueFingers said:

xyer0 said:

I bet it has to go into Unreal related activities which would makes sense to me, though I understand your sentiment.

Congratulations Daz!  

Y'know, a wife will nag and nag her husband about the way he is treating her. It could go on for months, maybe years. Then, one day, she stops nagging, and he thinks everything is fine because he's still making money. Then he receives divorce papers.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Sevrin said:

I think Daz should take us all out for ice cream.

They invited us to spend more money on carefully selected items to avoid stacking discounts, was that not good enough?

It's not like they recieved ton of money.

edited April 2021

...yeah I don't find this PC+ special really special as it requires purchasing a new release to unlock the 2.99$ discount (none of the items Interest me or are even useful for my needs).

I did well enough in MM with the PC+ for a day deals, and the next PC+ Extravaganza Sale is only 6 months away.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

kyoto kid said:

...yeah I don't find this PC+ special really special as it requires purchasing a new release to unlock the 2.99$ discount (none of the items Interest me or are even useful for my needs).

I did well enough in MM with the PC+ for a day deals, and the next PC+ Extravaganza Sale is only 6 months away.

Maybe even less if they do one in June like last year 

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596

SnowSultan said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sevrin said:

SnowSultan said:

not in my experience 

LOL, yeah I have to agree with Wendy. So many questions go unanswered over there, including the one question I asked, and at least here, others will know something about Studio and potential compatibility or

comparable terminolog

y.

The unreal community is actually really awesome. been a part of it since 2014. I'm guessing most don't know or use Daz products much. So they just don't discuss it.  I think it's much better to build a strong community here. Though i know it will take some time. I'm going to be working on using Daz3d products in UE4 , so I will do my best to contribute as I learn.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,865

Congratulations :) I love seeing the more and more crossovers with other programs... and Daz getting recognition on the time and effort they put into developing Daz Studio is fantastic

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited April 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sevrin said:

SnowSultan said:

not in my experience 

For bridge support, the best place is David's (the author) Discord.  For Unreal support in general, I have found the forums reasonably supportive.

Also I remember writing in a post a couple of years ago getting Daz integrated with Unreal would be awesome.  The Unreal content store is pretty dire when it comes to characters and clothing.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Can you hire some more people to fix your broken content now? 

Serene Night said:

Can you hire some more people to fix your broken content now? 

Or, better yet, check it before it hits the store 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Mada said:

Congratulations :) I love seeing the more and more crossovers with other programs... and Daz getting recognition on the time and effort they put into developing Daz Studio is fantastic

sorry, but the irony here... lol

the entire award and celebration is for the *export tool*.

that said, more resources allocated to that cause works just fine for me, so congrats DAZ. big win.

heh,

--ms

• MadaMada Posts: 1,865

mindsong said:

Mada said:

sorry, but the irony here... lol

the entire award and celebration is for the *export tool*.

Yes? :) I love being able to take something I created and rigged in DS into other programs.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i would like to use those general rigged clothes and hairs conveniently in Carrara 8.5 Pro videos.

i can see the bones moving, but the geometry doesnt move with the bones.

geograft shoes punch holes in the geometry, destroying the uvs in scary ways.  

the latest carrara update was August 2013.
    and its not like carrara is a free software, it was hundreds when i first started with it.
    RDS ray dream studio