Brooke 8.1... Yes, finally ! ! !

JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
edited April 2021 in The Commons

Finally somebody who isn't all muscles and tight skin - this is the realism I've been wanting - a step closer to my Frazetta ideal.

I would imagine the "problem" with too much realism is that perfection sells, but I really hope Brooke is a success and we get more characters along these lines.

But what's Zak doing in the bundle?  Maybe her boyfriend, so Brooke might be a bit of a cougar, hehehe.

Brooke_06_shimuzu.jpg
2000 x 2600 - 3M
Post edited by Jabba on

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    I feel that there is something fishy/sinister behind her smile. A good character for dark/horror scene. Diversity is always a good thing.
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Jabba said:

Finally somebody who isn't all muscles and tight skin - this is the realism I've been wanting - a step closer to my Frazetta ideal.

I would imagine the "problem" with too much realism is that perfection sells, but I really hope Brooke is a success and we get more characters along these lines.

But what's Zak doing in the bundle?  Maybe her boyfriend, so Brooke might be a bit of a cougar, hehehe.

Looks like they've finally put a character somewhere near where Bethany 7 was aimed -- although she is shorter and looks a bit older. (I'd swear that face is modeled after someone famous; it looks really familiar somehow.)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I really like her body (except the upper arms/elbow look weird to me), but her lips just look waaay too thin. Her skin - which is mainly the reason I buy a core character - looks...odd. Bump too high maybe? It looks like she’s slathered on the foundation. The bundle is ridiculous. Over priced for what it is. 

This is the end of Genesis 8, isn’t it? It’s 8.1 from here on in. Sigh.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,461

vwrangler said:

Jabba said:

Looks like they've finally put a character somewhere near where Bethany 7 was aimed -- although she is shorter and looks a bit older. (I'd swear that face is modeled after someone famous; it looks really familiar somehow.)

Did get the same vibe and after some digging I found the one I was looking for, Chloe Webb

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

I like her ‘normal' face and body! Really a bit like Bethany 7 - and my cousin laugh If only the skin would look more realistic. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

CHWT said:

I feel that there is something fishy/sinister behind her smile. A good character for dark/horror scene. Diversity is always a good thing.

yes !!

• DripDrip Posts: 1,135

So, what is the discount on the bundle for Season Pass members? Because right now, this seems to me the most overpriced bundle I've seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I actually like most of the contents, including the figure, and even the male figure (since he has a nice head) but the pricing is totally out of whack.

It's sitting in my cart right now, but there is a massive chance that I'll just empty my cart later today.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Glad I didn't buy that season pass. I guess instead of pro bundles, they're going to charge the heck out of us for a dress, a pair of undies, a hairdo, a couple of characters, and a building, which last time I looked isn't a character. 

Yeah, this comment is going to get deleted.  How about spending a little less time on figuring out ways to get me to spend money for nothing and instead create something I want to spend money ON.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Yay.  A wonderful possible addition to the acting troupe.  

Can you think of an actress that Brooke reminds you of?  Please add her to the list.   

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/234451/character-actors-who-are-your-favorites-and-what-do-they-look-like/p1

Diomede said:

Yay.  A wonderful possible addition to the acting troupe.  

Can you think of an actress that Brooke reminds you of?  Please add her to the list.   

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/234451/character-actors-who-are-your-favorites-and-what-do-they-look-like/p1

Melissa McCarthy and the 'i can do it' meme baby boy

Damsel said:

Glad I didn't buy that season pass. I guess instead of pro bundles, they're going to charge the heck out of us for a dress, a pair of undies, a hairdo, a couple of characters, and a building, which last time I looked isn't a character. 

Yeah, this comment is going to get deleted.  How about spending a little less time on figuring out ways to get me to spend money for nothing and instead create something I want to spend money ON.

I agree that the bundle deal does little for me.  I will probably get the Brooke character to fill that Ethel role for the star Lucy.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

Good point about the skin textures - the promos look like a more painterly direction than the photographic realism we all generally assume is the ideal...

...but for digital artists, painterly can fit in better with, surprise surprise, paintings.

It certainly seems to be coming from sharp lines, possibly caused by HD sculpt and skin normals.

...now, if only there was a one-click solution for G8F geo-shell underwear to fit G8.1F, I'd be much much happier.

@CHWT - Yes!  

Melissa McCarthy and the 'i can do it' meme baby boy

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

So is the season pass just a way to get people to buy potentially under-performing characters, sight unseen?

If I'd bought it and found out the first character was a middle-aged Meghan Trainor-lookalike, I would've been pissed.

• VenomisbeautyVenomisbeauty Posts: 86
    edited April 2021
    Lol. Just 13 days after banana outifit and unvisible chair they joked us again.
    Post edited by Venomisbeauty on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833

Zak is a winner from the bundle for me, since it is created by RedzStudio.

Brooke 8.1 is nothing for me, at the moment. I will save my money for something else.

I am glad, that there is some interest for Brooke in this thread, so maybe Daz 3D will create more characters from real life like her.

Artini said:

Zak is a winner from the bundle for me, since it is created by RedzStudio.

Brooke 8.1 is nothing for me, at the moment. I will save my money for something else.

I am glad, that there is some interest for Brooke in this thread, so maybe Daz 3D will create more characters from real life like her.

Brooke is fine, though I have to say in some promo pics she looks a little bit deranged which creeps me out a little bit BUT that may be a good thing because I can see emotion (whether one likes it or not) in her eyes
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

Jabba, you made her look good. I don't like her with short hair. I had to look up Meghan Trainor, @margrave, thanks for the comparison. I can always use another supporting actor or one-step-above-extra character. That would be Brooke 8.1.

I feared that bundle prices would be increased in order for the season pass to make more sense. So, $40.80 even with a 30% discount? However, the bundle contents don't suck, at least.

Thanks, Redz, for a handsome real man, but I bet people are saying Zak is just with cougar Brooke cos she's famous and has money. You see, it's Zak who lives in the tenement.

• fornitfornit Posts: 20

Idk what you guys are going on about that Zak character. He looks like an absolute default character to me. Like Callan from the same artist for example.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited April 2021

What I said in the other thread because I'm too lazy to type it again - 

Brooke's skin looks like it could grate cheese. Girl needs to visit a dermatologist, stat. Folks are so focused on the 'YAY! A REALISTIC BODY SHAPE!' Well, we can get that with morphs and any base character. I rate new characters on their skin and her skin is just an over-normaled mess with no sss or actual detail. And there still is something definitely not quite right about her mouth. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

melissastjames said:

What I said in the other thread because I'm too lazy to type it again - 

Brooke's skin looks like it could grate cheese. Girl needs to visit a dermatologist, stat. Folks are so focused on the 'YAY! A REALISTIC BODY SHAPE!' Well, we can get that with morphs and and any base character. I rate new characters on their skin and her skin is just an over-normaled mess with no sss or actual detail. And there still is something definitely not quite right about her mouth. 

At least, she is not cross-eyed like Cleopatra 8.1 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2021

To me, it was the cellulite lumps in the face, it's just too lumpy compared to her upper arms. The second row, third thumbnail where she's sitting down, the lighting shows it fairly well in the cheeks and the smoothness of the upper arms. That head lumpiness and fat doesn't match the arms (or chest, for that matter.)   I'm not a season pass holder, but this would be a pass for me. As someone already said, there's morphs to get additional weight and sag onto a character. It is nice they're offering different shapes and a variety of women's shapes though, kudos for the effort to offer diversity in forms.

Post edited by Novica on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

I totally understand that shaping packs can do a lot, but in all seriousness, you cannot actually get the identical body using them... yes, you could maybe match the silhouette, but there are imperfection details unavailable elsewhere.

That said, I am not a season pass guy, but I want that body shape to add to my genepool - anything else isn't really what I see as a priority (G8F textures will work fine if it turns out the Brooke texture is a dud).

But this is what I like about the forums, we get to express our opinions most of the time, then it's up to each of us if the pros-and-cons will result in a purchase or not.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

People talking about the creepiness, she looks a lot like the actress who played in WandaVision, who is a bit weird / creepy (for reasons)

Looked her up, it's Kathryn Hahn she has some resemblance with : https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1063517

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Paintbox said:

People talking about the creepiness, she looks a lot like the actress who played in WandaVision, who is a bit weird / creepy (for reasons)

Looked her up, it's Kathryn Hahn she has some resemblance with : https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1063517

I really loved Kathryns overacting in WandaVision heart

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I think the promo pics on the character's product page are a lot better than the ones chosen for the sales page. They do a better job of showing what she can add to the gene pool. Not a huge fan of her fully dialed in shape, but combined with other characters, I think she offers a lot. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

the new 8.1 textures always look chalky to me. are the promo pics with HD applied or what you get?  

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited April 2021

daveso said:

the new 8.1 textures always look chalky to me. are the promo pics with HD applied or what you get?  

I'm not going to buy her to find out, but I believe that overly textured bumpy look is due to the microdetails. The 8.1 characters I've seen so far (that use the new shader) don't have much in the way of bump maps to even have turned up too high. 

I don't get the obsession with the microdetails. It's just adding a repeating, tiled pattern all over the body. That's not how skin works. Our skin has different patterns and textures depending on what part of the body we're looking at. The back of your hand doesn't have the same texture as the palm...or your cheek or your shoulder. Hell, your cheek has a different texture than your nose or your forehead. They're all different. Repeating the same tiled texture over and over is not the way to go to. I'll keep sticking to my guns in that a well-built and detailed normal, specular, and bump is all you need (texture-wise...so not counting an hd add-on). 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Novica said:

To me, it was the cellulite lumps in the face, it's just too lumpy compared to her upper arms. The second row, third thumbnail where she's sitting down, the lighting shows it fairly well in the cheeks and the smoothness of the upper arms. That head lumpiness and fat doesn't match the arms (or chest, for that matter.)   I'm not a season pass holder, but this would be a pass for me. As someone already said, there's morphs to get additional weight and sag onto a character. It is nice they're offering different shapes and a variety of women's shapes though, kudos for the effort to offer diversity in forms.

Agreed, no one I know, even older, has that lumpy look that is on the face. (Thats not saying its not possible but...)   Someone I know has lost a lot of weight but shes not lumpy just saggy from the stretched skin.  It was nice to see a different less runway model type in the store.  Disappointed in the face and the price!  

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,555

melissastjames said:

I don't get the obsession with the microdetails. It's just adding a repeating, tiled pattern all over the body. That's not how skin works. Our skin has different patterns and textures depending on what part of the body we're looking at. The back of your hand doesn't have the same texture as the palm...or your cheek or your shoulder. Hell, your cheek has a different texture than your nose or your forehead. They're all different. Repeating the same tiled texture over and over is not the way to go to. I'll keep sticking to my guns in that a well-built and detailed normal, specular, and bump is all you need (texture-wise...so not counting an hd add-on).

This ^ Astute observations!