Huge HDRI maps are lagging Daz Studio

So... I've been using DAZ for 3 years now, and I noticed something that dates back all the way to 4.11 or so (Currently on 4.14)

When I use a huge HDRI map (like 12000x12000 or 16000x160000), whenever i try to perform certain actions, DAZ is becoming incredibly laggy. This happens when:

1) I'm saving the file with CTRL+S - daz freezes for 5-15 seconds, which does not happen if there is no HDRI or if it's small (like 2048x2048)

2) If the "Enviroment" tab is open with the huge HDRI loaded, no matter what i do - move an object, etc - DAZ just lags horribly

3) When I try to change the huge HDRI to something else, hovering around it's icon makes DAZ freeze for a couple seconds.

Is there any workaroud to this?

My specs:

i7 8700

RTX 3090

64 GB ram

NVME ssd's

Win 10 x64, latest build

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I'm not sure that's to do with the resolution of the HDRI.  I've had DS 4.15 get laggy for no apparent reason recently.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited April 2021

I am not on 4.15, but I find with the higher the resolution of HDRI, the more it lags. I have a nice collection of HDRI files and usually have them in 4K as well as 16K or larger so I can use the 4k during setup and the larger size for the final render.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

Well a high res HDRI would use more RAM and would have more points to compute lighting from, so it's not really surprising.

• mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 315
    edited April 2021

Leana said:

Well a high res HDRI would use more RAM and would have more points to compute lighting from, so it's not really surprising.

I was talking about working in texture shaded mode, not actual rendering. It has nothing to do with computing lighting from HDRI.

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on
  • blazblaz Posts: 261
    I get some lag with large HDRIs when I open "render settings - environment" tab. It seems like something (hdri?) is reloading.
  • blaz said:

I get some lag with large HDRIs when I open "render settings - environment" tab. It seems like something (hdri?) is reloading.

Exactly! I have the exact same issue and I do not understand it. I think it should be posted as a support/bug ticket.

mwasielewski1990 said:

blaz said:

Exactly! I have the exact same issue and I do not understand it. I think it should be posted as a support/bug ticket.

There's nothing to  stop you. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2021

Big hdri are memory hogs. While I love hdri, recently bought a new set by dreamlight and holy cannoli, it was a monster. 

Pas who add both high and medium resolution hdri are quite helpful.

I use depth of field so it isn't really needed to have  16k hdri.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

I get the same 5-15 second pauses (even get the 'Not responding' message) on both saves and loads... but in my case it's when I have added LIE based textures on top of G7 and G8 characters.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,450

A single 16000x16000px 24bit image will take 732MB's of memory.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Also check if they are .exr or .hdri files as the .exr files are bigger.

• Fishtales said:

Also check if they are .exr or .hdri files as the .exr files are bigger.

I know, but what difference does it make? My GPU has 24GB vram. My system has 64GB. I'm not running out of RAM/VRAM. All my drives are SSD's. My main content library is on an NVME drive. Loading a 1GB .exr file from it takes an unnoticeable fraction of a second. 

It's like - whenever you go into the Enviroment tab, DAZ is for some reason reloading the HDRI (or doing something with it behind the scenes? Processing it in some way maybye?).

There's definitely something wonky with 4.15.  I've been seeing DS lag when I switch from Iray preview to texture-shaded, which didn't happen previously.  I don't know if it's 8.1, or the PBRskin shader or Iray or what.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2021

I know...not very helpful but I just used a 21k HDRI with 3DL with no lagging or anything, smooth as butter, but then again, still using DS 4.9...

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Sven Dullah said:

I know...not very helpful but I just used a 21k HDRI with 3DL with no lagging or anything, smooth as butter, but then again, still using DS 4.9...

That is quite interesting. Maybye it's the Iray's fault? Maybye there is someone with a legacy DAZ version that can confirm this problem occurs/does not occur?