Updates to Store Search Launched and More Updates Coming!

Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155
edited April 2021 in The Commons

Thank you for your patience as we have continued to make updates to our store search over the last several months. This week we were able to complete a major update on our store search software which included further incorporating descriptions and keywords in search outcomes. We will continue to enhance and improve the results.

We have a few more updates to be released in the coming weeks including an updated user interface to improve your ability to filter and we hope to expand this to category pages to enhance your ability to find and buy items during promotions. We are also currently updating and enhancing categories to improve useabilty, completeness and more!

If you are seeing any bugs with search, please, please create a customer service ticket, so we can look into these issues and improve your experience. 

Post edited by Daz_Jessica on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...are we going to see any fixes to the forum search?  It is really really bad,.  Back before Magento or whatever is used now, the forums search was much better as it allowed for phrase searching and using post topics as the targets. It also had a better spell check utility than we have now. Currently I have to copy/paste to/from Word to perform a proper spell check, a real drag.

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,409

Thank you all for your hard work, the site search is much better now!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

I think I found an insect. I ran a search for "101", instead of making the list like usual, it simply jumps me to a specific page.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

At least there is finally some communication and a tiny bit of progress. I don't want the store search to play charades: "Sounds like..." "Rhymes with..." But I would like a store search that could find the items in your store. That's what I want a store search to do. (You know, like it did before it was improved). I have to use an external search to find all of the items in your store that conform to my search term and ONLY to my search term. I've still got tickets in from last year that haven't been addressed, but the answer is more tickets? It just might work.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,298

TheKD said:

I think I found an insect. I ran a search for "101", instead of making the list like usual, it simply jumps me to a specific page.

Historical find... That's for the original first Vicky? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,933

TheKD said:

It probably searches by SKU if you type just a number.

If you search for "101" with the quotes it gives you the text search results.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 782
    edited April 2021

I'm curious to see the changes/additions but right now I want to THANK YOU!!! for the Store Search update. For months, I was frustrated I couldn't find things I know were in the store. Just a simple search for 'mountains' has given me more options I generally would not expect in such search results. wink 

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

kyoto kid said:

...are we going to see any fixes to the forum search?  It is really really bad,.  Back before Magento or whatever is used now, the forums search was much better as it allowed for phrase searching and using post topics as the targets. It also had a better spell check utility than we have now. Currently I have to copy/paste to/from Word to perform a proper spell check, a real drag.

The forums weren't changed with the store changeover (they were just migrated) and aren't currently being worked on for search. Eventually we'll likely have to completely update the forums, but not currently.

• Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

Leana said:

TheKD said:

It probably searches by SKU if you type just a number.

If you search for "101" with the quotes it gives you the text search results.

Leena is definetly correct, the sku is 101 for that product.  We'll have to see if there a way to resolve for this one product. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited April 2021

Daz_Jessica said:

kyoto kid said:

The forums weren't changed with the store changeover (they were just migrated) and aren't currently being worked on for search. Eventually we'll likely have to completely update the forums, but not currently.

...well afew things here have changed a bit since the store changeover and loss of the Gallery back in October/November.  Like no longer being able to multi-quote, when quoting someone the software now opens up the edit window on its own page so you can't scroll back to other posts, and the incidence of double (even triple) postings has increased. 

The search function has been absolutely useless for some time, as it highlights every incidence of a word (or individual words in a phrase) so you end up having to slog through pages of posts. The forum spell check is also just as useless as it  no longer allows you to add terms to the dictionary as well as does not alow access to alternate dictionaries as it originally did.  Replacement suggestions are sometimes ridiculously off base and don't handle common typos like "teh" for "the" or "whne" for "when".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

Daz_Jessica said:

kyoto kid said:

...well afew things here have changed a bit since the store changeover and loss of the Gallery back in October/November.  Like no longer being able to multi-quote, when quoting someone the software now opens up the edit window on its own page so you can't scroll back to other posts, and the incidence of double (even triple) postings has increased. 

The search function has been absolutely useless for some time, as it highlights every incidence of a word (or individual words in a phrase) so you end up having to slog through pages of posts. The forum spell check is also just as useless as it  no longer allows you to add terms to the dictionary as well as does not alow access to alternate dictionaries as it originally did.  Replacement suggestions are sometimes ridiculously off base and don't handle common typos like "teh" for "the" or "whne" for "when".

The quotes were disabled some time after the store chnage as they were causing issues (pages that would not finish loading) in their existing form.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

Daz_Jessica said:

kyoto kid said:

It would not be that hard.  The simplest way would be to archive the old forums as they are, and start fresh with new forum software.  Trying to convert the database of existing posts to new software would be a huge undertaking, and likely not worthwhile, since, based on my years of using web forums I can say that many people prefer to start new topics rather than search the forum, no matter how well searches work, and the same questions get asked over and over again.

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163

one change would be letting us stay logged in....?

I have to log in daily (better than the log in every hour it was at one point...)

on the other hand, Amazon, I logged in, about 12 months ago and I'm still logged in. likewise for Netflix, Spotify.....and so on.

the only sites I have to constantly log into every time are my Bank (fair) and here!

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

I tried using the store search on some bundle titles... and uh, it didn't work so great.

Try searching for: Summoned Demon Bundle or "Summoned Demon Bundle" and you wind up summoning unintended demons.
    However, if you search using the SKU number 
    12541 — that summons the intended one.

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 140

Thanks for the update. Appreciate the improvements!

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

I sincerely hope the upcoming improvements to our ability to "Filter" is referring (at least in part) to "Product Types"...

One way or another, when there's a Sale going on where you excitedly proclaim "Over XX,000 Items", i really hope we'll be able to look at only the Hair (and exclude Textures), or only Clothes (and exclude Textures), or only Environments, or only Props...

I swear the lack of the ability to do the above (especially seeing Product types without having to wade through 4 times as many related Texture add-ons as Base Products) has prevented me from spending SOOOOO much money that I wanted to spend, it's silly.

If any of what I mentioned is part of the plan. THANK YOU!!

If all or more of/than what I mentioned is part of the plan, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

Could you get the store, and DIM, to accept more TLDs for email addresses?  I still can't use my "new" email address, which I've had for years, because your systems think it's invalid.  I first asked a few years ago and was told to go get a different email address.  I tried to use it again a few days ago and customer service had to manually switch it over for me.  Now DIM won't work because the address doesn't match the pattern it expects so I can't download my products.  (Some products require DIM to download.)  The TLD in question has existed since 2014, so it's not exactly new.  

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

Has the "additional products used in promo images" been expanded/improved? I seem to remember there was a more restrictive limit. Here's an example.

https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-marty-for-victoria-81

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

anyway to find doors that open?  

the french quarter doesnt say either way

• LucielLuciel Posts: 475

Can we fiiiiinally get the ability to filter by hair/clothing/characters/textures etc? Basically all other 3d stores seem to have that function and the store here seems to have that information, but just no way to use it! Hopefully as check boxes so we can uncheck "textures" but not clothes or something like that!

Also the ability to search within things like sales pages. When you see a page of 12000 sales items it would be nice to find something a bit more efficiently!

laugh