Purchased Rooms

Hi,

When you purchase an environment that has walls, windows etc (and you don't get the items as props), can you copy these items and use them in a seperate scene or just the prop items that make up the scene.

Specifically can I copy the windows in a purchased room and then create my own room and use the windows from the bought product ?.

Cheers,

Terry

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

That really depends on the creator. Some have a seperate walls, and some throw everything into one mesh. You can usually tell by looking at the description of a product if it mentions something like : Wall A, Wall B window, Ceiling. But "Kitbashing" as it is called is certainly possible. There are a few room creation kits as well on the market.

• Thanks, I already have the room and the glass walls are seperate,  I can duplicate them in the scene itself I just wasn't sure if it was okay to make a prop out of them and save them to use on my own scene.  I have the room creator and want to use the glass walls in that.  If it is okay to do I will just read up on how to do it, I got as far as duplicating but not saving as a prop yet, just thought I would check first.

Cheers, Terry

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Yeah, kitbashing is fine :) 

As you say, you are using them on you own scenes, so that's good.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

terry.wanless said:

Thanks, I already have the room and the glass walls are seperate,  I can duplicate them in the scene itself I just wasn't sure if it was okay to make a prop out of them and save them to use on my own scene.  I have the room creator and want to use the glass walls in that.  If it is okay to do I will just read up on how to do it, I got as far as duplicating but not saving as a prop yet, just thought I would check first.

Cheers, Terry

As long as you're not distributing the new prop there's no problem.

• Thanks for the info, there are heaps of good items in this set I am glad I can utilise them elsewhere, I am just using them to create scenes not distributing.

I think I am close to learning how to save them but I must be missing a step as when I load it up the item is transparent.

The item is Shower Doors so it has 2 glass walls and the main door.

I highlight the parent folder - create - new node instance - choose default settings.

Highlight the new instance - save as - Scene Subset

I uncheck the full scene and just save the new instance.

When I merge the save subset into a scene it is blank ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Terry

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited April 2021

I think you may be doing an unnecessary step by creating any Instances... assuming the parts you're trying to save are already their own Nodes in the Scene.

Just so you understand at least the very basics (which is about all I know) an Instance is a way to have duplicates of a Node in your Scene, but the Instances are completely dependent on the original Node and will change exactly however you might change the original Node that they depend on. Saving an Instance as a Scene Subset probably doesn't work.

To save a Door from one Scene, for use in other Scenes, with that Scene open in DS you can simply choose Save As > Scene Subset, choose a File Name in the first Dialog, then just uncheck everything in that Scene except the Door in the second Dialog.

We all kit-bash all the time and I'm sure there are many different clever ways to do it. If I wanted a Prop out of a particular Scene like you're describing, I'd personally delete or at least hide everything else in the Scene, get the Prop you're Saving centered in the Viewport and then go through the few steps above. This way the Thumbnail created for the Prop (Scene Subset) will only show the Prop, making it easier to distinguish all of your wonderful Kitbashings from each other.

Good luck bashing away!

Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • Thanks phatmartino for the explanation and instructions, made it all very easy and it worked just as described.  I was going about it the hard way with no result :) ...

Cheers,

Terry