Iray GPU rendering stops working after a few renders

Hello

So I have a GTX 1070. Normally that works well, I selected GPU and CPU as render devices and it has a reasonable performance. But sometimes it happens after x renders (varies), that the Iray renderer will start to be slow and in the process bar window I will see "native CPU mode" and no GPU anymore. I also can not enable the GPU again, only restarting DAZ Studio helps.

The GPU drivers have been updated a few weeks ago. That problem happened before the update and after.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Here the log with some errors:

2021-04-19 22:09:40.991 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.6   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 480.251 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)
2021-04-19 22:09:41.031 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.6   IRAY   rend error: OptiX Prime error (Device rtpModelUpdate BL): Memory allocation failed (Function "_rtpModelUpdate" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaMalloc(&ptr, size) returned (2): out of memory)
2021-04-19 22:09:41.032 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Scene setup failed
2021-04-19 22:09:41.034 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Device failed while rendering
2021-04-19 22:09:41.034 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.

Comments

• If you are leaving render windows open they will continue to consume resources, but even if you do close them each time there are still issues that cause available resources to deplete so that a restart is needed.

You may want to try rendering with only the GPU enabled - it won't affect the memory issue but you may find it is actually faster than GPU and CPU together.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited April 2021

Sorry I didn't realize I wasn't on my thread when I replied, because mine is similar. This is a bug in daz/iray. Unfortunately the only way around it is to shut daz down and open it. I've tried the memory purge script and it doesn't help. The reason this is happening is because you probably have CPU fallback disabled, which is good IMO. I don't want DAZ using my cpu

Post edited by dakkuuan on
  • I did not know that CPU + GPU is slower than GPU alone. I will try this

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

If you are leaving render windows open they will continue to consume resources, but even if you do close them each time there are still issues that cause available resources to deplete so that a restart is needed.

You may want to try rendering with only the GPU enabled - it won't affect the memory issue but you may find it is actually faster than GPU and CPU together.

yeah i have noticed too this can be a memory hog on the cache so a restart is needed, it will become unstable too with many changes made if you have alot in scene, 10 or more models in scene with a heavy poly background is a drain on resources sometimes clearing cache is the only solution to fix renders. I have had some renders take an hour when they should of been 5 minutes, this could also be a bug. The render does seem to stop without finishing compressing the shaders giving you firefly and unrendered pixels that are blurry and reduce fine texture detail like wrinkles in skin, the picture below took about 4 hours to render on normal settings, every chararcter is way more detailed when rendered singlely with little background but the more polys you add into a scene it renders longer but always stops at a point even if you set the render times longer the render still seems to look as if it stops rending hours into the picture because it remains unchanged by the final render. Worse of all it leaves some large white dots in a render because of reflection issues with the lighting used.

won't finish rendering kajer8 leg png file. 4h.12m.53s.jpg
    2400 x 1280 - 3M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on