Super-Resolution

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
edited April 2021 in The Commons

Is there a super resolution app, preferably open source, that can upscale images?  I see plenty of AI-based github projects but they all seem to require some hacking to get working (Python script nonsense).  I wanted to try out upscaling to see how it looked on Daz images.  Anybody have an experience of this?

Speaking of this kind of thing, I've successfuly used Flow Frames Framerate Upscaler to change a movie from 30 to 60 fps.  15 to 60 was pretty terrible, so don't do that.  I'm on the lookout for tools that will allow me to cut down the time spent rendering you see.  I worked out that to make a 15 minute movie at 60 fps would take me about 30 million years. 

Post edited by Robinson on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I haven't tried it, but there are a bunch of YT videos about different options

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Yea, I'm looking for something I can download, rather than a cloud based solution.  Or a GIMP plugin, something like that.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

There are photography programs that can upscale, increase the resolution, sharpmess, on still images.

One is made by Topaz, and has a very good reputation for quality and results. Try this:

https://www.topazlabs.com/

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

For images, right now gigapixel is the best in most cases I tried. I have photozoom and gigapixel, usually try both and pick which one looks better. I do not know of any open source ones, that weren't too much of a pain to even try.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

The current really good solutions for that really require DLSS and an nVidia RTX 2000 or 3000 series video card.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Bendinggrass said:

There are photography programs that can upscale, increase the resolution, sharpmess, on still images.

One is made by Topaz, and has a very good reputation for quality and results. Try this:

Tried out Topaz Gigapixel AI.  Rendered an image at 1280x720, upscaled it x2 to 1440 and it looks fantastic.  Maybe what I'm looking for. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Robinson said:

Bendinggrass said:

Tried out Topaz Gigapixel AI.  Rendered an image at 1280x720, upscaled it x2 to 1440 and it looks fantastic.  Maybe what I'm looking for. 

Yep, I tried out different apps and Gigapixel was the best by some distance. I think the AI still needs some work though as it tends to sharpen details and defects alike. 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Gigapixel may the best option, but it still can be better. BTW, these apps will work better if you can feed them higher res pics. I know that probably sounds like it defeats the purpose, but when you give them more pixels to work with they will perform better.

The same is true of the denoiser. That is your other option. Instead of upscaling a picture from 720 to 1440, you could instead render at 1440 but not finish the render...use a denoiser on the image to 'finish' it. The Iray denoiser is OK, depending on what you do, but I have started to like the Intel denoiser more. Using the Intel denoiser requires some set up, which mcasual has kindly created a script to help automate. Once you set it up, it only takes a few seconds to denoise an image, and you can denoise any image, even ones not rendered by Daz or Iray. It is blazing fast, works well, and it is free.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/334881/a-i-based-open-source-de-noiser-for-daz-studio-pc-and-macs/p1

I offer that as an alternative because the Intel denoiser is pretty solid at its job without as many funny artifacts that upscaling tends to introduce, in other words, better images. And since this is Intel, you don't need a Nvidia GPU to do this (and it works on AMD as well). So what you do is render to like 40 or 50%, save and use this denoiser. You can experiment and try different things, you might get perfectly usable images denoised when they are only 30 or 20% done. I've had images not even hit 10% and still denoise ok. It can vary wildly from image to image. At any rate, I think you will find the results better than trying to use Gigapixel. Oh, and this is all free.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

Robinson said:

Bendinggrass said:

ive been using letsenhance.io

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,497

marble said:

Robinson said:

Bendinggrass said:

Yep, I tried out different apps and Gigapixel was the best by some distance. I think the AI still needs some work though as it tends to sharpen details and defects alike. 

I recently got this software along with the sharpening and denoising apps, and I've been having a good time with it. One of the more impressive features was the ability to sort out issues present in the source images, which would have been nice even without the upscaling. Maybe it's doing some kind of deblocking like the DVD players used to do. The least impressive feature was the setting to enhance the faces, which tended to either do nothing or change the face in an undesirable way. The sharpening app managed to fix a blurry picture I had from years ago, enough to make it usable. I haven't tried the denoising app yet but I have high expectations now.