RIP Jim Steinman

namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

And another legend passes on.Jim Steinman, creator of classic mini-operas, at age 73.

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Oh sad. Like it or not (and I do like it) Bat Out of Hell was iconic and we could always recognise a Steinman song after that, no matter who was performing it. 

• HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 466

Now I'm sad. He wrote so many great songs, and worked with some of the best singers out there. 

Bat out of Hell. 

Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

I'd do anything for Love (but I won't do that).

Total Eclipse of the Heart. 

And so, so many more. :'(

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Wow, so many good songs he wrote. Condolences.

• beachlegsbeachlegs Posts: 475

WOW So sad may he R.I.P :(

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

The last thing he saw was his heart... still beating....

RIP Jim.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited April 2021

I have to admit, one of the things I loved about Steinman's music was that he wasn't afraid to go for epic cheese. SERIOUSLY epic cheese. Until the music industry really changed in this century, he was one of the few composers who could consistently get some unusually long songs on the radio and on the charts in an era when the perfect pop song was thought to come in around 3 minutes, 3:30 if you wanted to push it a little -- "Total Eclipse of the Heart" clocks in at 5:34, "It's all coming back to me now" has versions ranging from 5m30s to 8m03s (!), "Original sin" has an original version at 6:30 and a soundtrack version from The Shadow at 5:30, "I'd do anything for love..." with a singles version at 7:40 (and apparently there's an album version that runs over 12 minutes!). Just amazingly epic, and you actually wanted to listen to the whole thing.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited April 2021

I was vey saddened by this. I was a fan of Bat Out of Hell from the first time I heard it. Over the years I have seen Meat a couple of times.

When I found out Bat was originally wriiten for a musical, I always wondered what it would look like. Back in the late sixties Jim wrote a Musical Called "The Dream Engine" it was only performed a couple of times and featured very early versions of Total Eclipse and Heavan Can Wait. Over the years this was rewritten time and time again and only in 2017 it made it to the stage.

It opened In Manchester, around 20 mins from my home town. I saw it once and was hooked. The production moved to London then to Toronto before returning to London. I saw it many time in London and even visited Toronto twice within 6 weeks. I have met so many good friends in this time, one of whom lives just 3 miles away from me yet we met in Toronto. In 2019 a new production of the musical opened in New York. myself and a few of the friends i'd met because of the show had to go.

His music and his show has changed my life, they gave me confidence and a new outlook on life.

Jim Steinman for that I love you

During one of the shows, I think the opening night after it returned to London, a friend and I dressed as 2 of the main characters. We bumped in a guy call Barry in the foyer of the theatre, he was a lifelong friend of Jim's and had been in his original production of The Dream Engine. He had a video camera and was recording all sorts of things for Jim as he was already ill at this point an couldn't travel. As soon as he saw us he wanted to record a message from us to Jim.

He has been the cause of many a great night out for me and a terrible hangover the following day.

RIP Jim, The Beat Is Yours Forever.

Post edited by droidy001 on
  • Steinman was never afraid to go for EPIC. "Everything Louder Than Everything Else" seems like his motto. I'll miss his work. I'd say rest in peace, but somehow I can't see him actually wanting peace and quiet, so I'll just say thank you for everything.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

His song are some of the most meaningful and cherished in my life. I hope now he'll team up with David and Freddie and create some great soundtrack for when we'll arrive on the other side.

You're never alone 'cause you can put on the phones and let the drummer tell your heart what to do.

Thank you, Jim! crying

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

I loved "Total Eclipse of the Heart." Such a great song!

• Don't forget his soundtrack contributions for Streets of Fire.

• "I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, now don't be sad 'cause two out of three ain't bad"