How to Avoid dForce Simulation Crashes?

I recently purchased a dForce-ready hair model (dForce Classic Long Curly Hair) and am trying to drape it using simulation, but nearly every time I run the simulation, it fails — Daz simply quits unexpectedly. Daz support tells me it’s probably due to mesh intersection that happens during the simulation, a problem for which they offer no remedy. While I can do my best to avoid mesh intersection when, say, posing a model, I don’t see how to avoid it during a simulation.

This makes all dForce simulations highly problematic. There must be a better way to implement it than to just cross my fingers and hope I get lucky and avoid a crash. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to avoid mesh collisions?

Also, a related question: Would a better graphics card run the calculations with a higher success rate? Or is the crashing bug occurring purely within Daz itself? Does anybody know?

As always, I appreciate any insights the community has regarding this issue.

Comments

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited April 2021

You don't say what your current system setup is.  When you say "crash" do you mean "explodes"?  Or does Daz die?

Post edited by Robinson on
  • mk1837mk1837 Posts: 25

Sorry, I shoud have stated: I'm running Daz Studio 4.15.02 on a quad-core Mac Mini with 16 GB of RAM, and OS 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Daz often quits unexpectedly during simulations, and also when I hit Save. It also sometimes quits unexpectedly during renders.

• mk1837mk1837 Posts: 25

Thanks Greg. I'll try using the CPU to run the simulations rather than the graphic card, and see if I get better results.