Render Guesstimates/NVIDIA Veteran Question

Hey y'all. Nice to meet you, my name is Samantha. I am new to the DAZ community and have enjoyed personalized 3d storytelling for a long time. 

I am currently working on a storyboard animatic for a music video concept. My question is for the seasoned NVIDIA users out there. How fast does your graphics card render out single 1080p images? I am currently working on a Macbook Pro 2018 and it takes at least an hour with me ending renders at about 85%. I plan to do the majority of my animation work using my laptop but definitely hesitate to render. With the market as it is for GPUs, I figure if I want any more speed (and to not devastate my machine) I will have to rent a better computer. 

I wonder how much time am I wasting waiting around for single renders? Is there a recommended spec range for high-quality and faster-than-this renders? Is anyone processing long-form hi-res content full-time?

I am so excited about this opportunity to create beautiful scenes! Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to your insights!

Comments

• A Windows machine with an nVidia GPU (that can hold the data) will be much faster than your current system, though without knowing more about what you are rendering it's impossible to guess by how much. Of course it does depend on the scene fitting into the GPU's memory, again without more information it's not possible to offer any sensible guidance.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

There are a lot of variables involved, but I can share my experience - and I do a lot of 1080p images and animations.

But first, I might suggest that if this is a one time project, perhaps a render farm might be better for you. I think even Jack Tomalin's service now does animation as well.

In short, I started with an HP laptop with no graphics card. An image would take all night to render - about 10 hours. Later, I bought a `1,000 dollar gaming laptop with an nvidia M960 (approximately 300 cuda cores) and it could render the same scene in 1 hour. Still later, I received my inheritance and put together a 7,000 dollar computer with an nvidia M6000 (over 3000 cuda cores) and it could do that image in under 10 minutes. Nvidia has had 2 or 3 newer generations of cards so they would be faster, but they are also quite expensive at the moment. This is, of course, talking Iray rendering.

I hope that example helps.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Depends on lighting really. With my 2080 super + 1070: A portait type scene with just HDRI and a person or 3 can be done in as little as 10 minutes. If it's a full indoor scene an hour+.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Dependent on the lighting and scene complexity, 1080p with an RTX 2070 can look very nice with only 5 minutes of rendering, as TheKD suggests.  Video is a little different however (you'll have to get to grips with Daz's timeline - it's... what should I say... an acquired taste, quite buggy in various little ways and doing Daz anim is actually quite a pain without lots of 3rd party scripts like mcasual's, for keeping feet in place and so forth).  But with video you can cut the framerate in half and use a piece of software to double it, meaning you only need to render half the frames.  You may also be able to upscale with software (I asked a question about Super Resolution recently), allowing you to render, for example, 1280x720, for an even faster result.  Then there's also denoising technologies (iRay has a filter but there are others out there like Intel's), allowing you to spend less time rendering and "clean up" the result.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

One clothed figure with a hint of danger takes 28s...

Can you even put an nVidia card in a MAC?

1figurewithdanger.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M