Best Practices using multiple runtimes with both DAZ and Poser items

Best Practices using multiple runtimes with both DAZ and Poser items

I've been collecting both DAZ and Poser compatible items for a number of years. Recently (due to circumstances I think you can imagine) I have some free time and so I have decided to finally set up both programs and get started working in them more seriously.

I have the most recent version of DAZ (4.15) but I only have Poser 11. I have decided to concentrate on DAZ for now since it looks like more of my stuff is DAZ related and it seems to be a little easier to find tutorials for it.

However the items I have include:

1. Items that only work in DAZ

2. Items that were made in Poser and have not been tested  in DAZ

3. Items that were made for Poser and state in the docs that they won't work in DAZ. These are usually older items and it's usually the materials that are singled out as not working.

4. Items that have both DAZ and Poser versions.

So - advice on how to organize my libraries?

Currently I am using one library for stuff from the DAZ store (I may split that later - it's pretty big and it's currently on my boot drive).

I have another library on a different drive where I am installing only the items listed as being fully compatible with DAZ.

What do I do with the Poser stuff? Can I add it as another library (imported as Poser format I guess)? Any thoughts on "not tested in DAZ" versus "mats won't work in DAZ"? Should those be in separate libraries?

For the items that have both DAZ and Poser versions - should I make two more separate libraries for those and import the DAZ version to DAZ and the Poser version to Poser (if/when I get around to setting that up)?

Comments

• Try the not tested stuff, soem will work some won't (watch out, for example, for morphs supplied in .pmd format).

For materials, most items will be UV mapped so you could in principle apply the texture maps to various properties in the Surfaces pane. For things like fabrics, wooden items, and building materials there are a lot of DS (Iray and/or 3Delight) materials that could be used instead of the supplied materials.