PC Crash while using DAZ Studio

2»

Comments

• mbug90mbug90 Posts: 53
    edited November 2021

PerttiA said:

This has been used to find problems when most of the stress tests have failed to find them https://www.ocbase.com/

One thing to check is, how much RAM do you have and how big is your swap file. There is a pattern of users with 8GB RAM to run out of usable memory which has caused crashes.

I ran the Linpack test (v 2019, Physical and virtual, 2048 MiB) for one hour (it's the most I can do without paying), no errors.

As for the memory:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 59.4 GB

Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB

Available Virtual Memory 67.5 GB

Page File Space 9.50 GB

I don't have a swapfile.sys

Post edited by mbug90 on
    edited November 2021
    I still want to figure out the root cause of these crashes. I also saw a thread about another user who had problems like mine. After a few crashes, Windows itself stopped booting on their machine. Now I'm afraid to use DAZ again. I've done everything I've been recommended so far. What do I do now?
    Post edited by mbug90 on
    edited November 2021

I'm still waiting for recommendations of what to do next.

I need DAZ Studio for my hobbies.  I also don't have a backup of an older version that I can roll back to.

I've also sent a help request to DAZ but I doubt they'll get back to me.

Post edited by mbug90 on
  • This is just one crash? Theer isn't really anything to be said to that, far too many variables involved.

This is just one crash? Theer isn't really anything to be said to that, far too many variables involved.

Actually, it's two different crashes over the course of four months. Both happened while using DAZ Studio.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

mbug90 said:

I'm still waiting for recommendations of what to do next.

I need DAZ Studio for my hobbies.  I also don't have a backup of an older version that I can roll back to.

I've also sent a help request to DAZ but I doubt they'll get back to me.

Quite impossible to remotely troubleshoot, as it could be related to your hardware, OS, drivers and/or other software you have installed in addition to what you have installed in your copy of DS and how it is setup.

There are no two systems that are identical.

• ... and maybe could be W10 downloading updates in the background [i.e. without telling anybody]. After the last D/S crash [for no apparent reason, I had done nothing that should have caused a "poof gone" crash] I noticed that the OS was wanting to restart to install M$ updates again.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I don't believe Studio is the cause of the problem it is just revealing a flaw in your system.  If this old comp-u-tater (AMD Qud core 2.3 GHz, Radeon HD 6520G GPU, 6 MB DDR3 memory) can handle simple renders your beast of a system should fly instead of crashing.

jestmart said:

I don't believe Studio is the cause of the problem it is just revealing a flaw in your system.  If this old comp-u-tater (AMD Qud core 2.3 GHz, Radeon HD 6520G GPU, 6 MB DDR3 memory) can handle simple renders your beast of a system should fly instead of crashing.

I don't render anything when I use DAZ at all. I just pose figures and light them. Yet the crashes still happened.
    edited November 2021
    What could this "flaw in my system" be? I've already tested my CPU, RAM, and hard drives. Don't know how to test my GPU though. And that Furmark program sounds dangerous.
    Post edited by mbug90 on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited November 2021

mbug90, sometimes D/S just crashes now. It didn't use to years ago [at least not for me], but now it does. I'll reload the scene and repeat selecting the head, or whatever it was I last did before the crash, and it does not repeat the crash. It's just a little quirky. So moving on the company is likely working feverishly to get D/S5 out for some very good reasons. Hopefully it will again be stable as bedrock.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 112
    edited November 2021
    mbug90 said:
    What could this "flaw in my system" be? I've already tested my CPU, RAM, and hard drives. Don't know how to test my GPU though. And that Furmark program sounds dangerous.
    It could be a power supply. What power does yours have?
    Post edited by vectorinus on

vectorinus said:

mbug90 said:

It could be a power supply. What power does yours have?

It's supposed to be 800W 

• Try this and see what happens PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software this software will test the GPU I used 3DMark Advance for stress testing. 

AgitatedRiot said:

Try this and see what happens PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software this software will test the GPU I used 3DMark Advance for stress testing. 

The results: https://ibb.co/YfcZL6K

Did not crash my PC 

• dxgkrnl is the DirectX Graphics engine, so it's pointing to something with your video card.  Could be corrupt drivers and doing a rollback/update doesn't always help.

Check out the Display Driver Uninstall utility:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

This does a deep uninstall of your video drivers and cleans the registry of everything video card related.  Purge everything under C:\Windows\TEMP and C:\Users\[your username\Appdata\Local\Temp.  Then, try downloading the nVidia studio drivers for your card and do a custom install/clean install.

edited November 2021

But what about ntkrnlmp.exe?  As referenced in the most recent bsod?

Post edited by mbug90 on
  • Same same.  Recommended solution is to update video card drivers.  Download and run the DDU, then clean up temp files and install the Studio drivers.  They're typically a version or two behind the Game-Ready drivers and are considered "stable":.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,220
    edited November 2021

Potential causes of Ntkrnlmp.exe errors include:

Damaged power cords and adapters.

Installing new devices, drivers, or software updates.

Installing Windows system updates.

Installing third-party software that is poorly programmed or not verified.

Viruses or other malware.

IMG_20211127_0001.jpg
    648 x 404 - 41K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on