Can't find Michael 4

flipside555flipside555 Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I've installed Michael 4, but I can't see an icon to load him. I've searched for similar problems, and it seems that several people have had a problem with support files when they try to load him, but I'm not even getting that far. He doesn't appear in the people tab in the smart content tab. There is a folder for him in the Content Library under which there are Clothing and Materials directories. There is Michael 4.dsb and a Michael4.png in ...Runtime/Libraries/Character/Daz People.

There was a lot of stuff for him in ...Runtime/Libraries/!Daz. I read that that might be causing a problem, so I removed it. As far as I could tell it was poser stuff. It all had the .pz2 extension.

How can I load him?

Thanks.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You do need the Runtime:Libraries:!DAZ folder -- that's all the morph information.

Michael 4 is a Poser-format figure, you'll find him in Content Library > Poser Formats > [your content folder] > Figures > DAZ People

• flipside555flipside555 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Still no luck, unfortunately. I've reinstalled him, and the directory is back in the !DAZ folder. Content Library>Poser Formats>[my content folder] is empty. I have People> Michael 4 >Materials> M4 Sample-Res {and M4-Standard-Res} which contain things like hair and eyes.

edited December 1969

Which files did you install? There is a large zip named IM00007877-01_Michael4Base.zip -- in DAZ Install Manager it's labeled "Michael 4 Base". That contains the files for the figure. There's also a StudioCF zip with DAZ Studio-optimized materials, and a Powerloader zip to inject his morphs on loading, but they both require the main zip.

edited December 1969

I tried opening the Michael 4.cr2 file with Daz Studio (by default .cr2 files are associated with another program on my system). When Daz Studio tried to open the Michael 4.cr2 file it gave the message about the support folder not being found.

edited December 1969

I installed the main zip. I think I'm going to uninstall everything and start again.

edited December 1969

Can you post these 2 screenshots:
    1) In DAZ Studio, Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"
    2) In DAZ Install Manager, on Ready to Install tab check the "Show Details" box in the lower right

edited December 1969

I'm doing a re-install at the moment. I'd somehow ended up with 2 libraries, which I didn't particularly want. I don't know if that was causing the problem. I'll see where I am after the re-install. Thanks for your help with this.

edited December 1969

All fixed now. Thanks a lot for your help. For the benefit of anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future, the problem was that "Poser Formats" directory in the Content Directory Manager was pointing to the wrong place. That directory needs to be set to the Daz library, even though I'm not using Poser.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

That directory needs to be set to the Daz library, even though I'm not using Poser.

Maybe not, but all the Generation 4 figures (and a lot of DAZ content) are in Poser format. Also, every single one of your texture files — the actual picture files, not the D|S scripts that load them on to your objects — are in a Textures folder in the Poser Runtime folder. Strictly speaking, they're all Poser files as well. This is why you must have your content location set exactly the same in both D|S Formats and Poser Formats.
  • amonra7amonra7 Posts: 5

This software structure is crazy insane. Poser was so much simplier

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    amonra7 said:

This software structure is crazy insane. Poser was so much simplier

You do realize that 'crazy insane' is BECAUSE of Poser's oh so logical structure, right?

Just imagine how trouble free DAZ content would be without having to maintain Poser compatability....

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Poser content is mapped exactly the same in Studio as it is in Poser, you point both programs to the library folder that holds the "Runtime" folder.

• Well, here it is 2022, and I encountered the same problem.  To make a long story short, I went hunting and found M4's actor file in the Michael 4 base Puppeteer folder under Products.  No fancy moves; just an (im)patient search. I hope this helps.  -Steven

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I thought it might be an issue with the Poser runtime not being pointing to the folder.

For those complaining about the file structure. I still remember the problem of finding mats for clothing because everything was saved in separate places.

I love that I can go to people/character and find everything for that character in the one place. 

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I usually just use the Products listings to get out of a tight spot, when I'm trying to find M4.

One thing about the listings that I, and others have mentioned before that's sooooo annoying is when a PA (I guess) wants to stand out from the crowd, instead of using a category name like "stuff" they will make it plural (eg. "stuffs") - presto, whole new subdomain right there.