Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Good day everyone, a new contest is upon us! This seems like a good theme with good prizes. But there are bound to be questions and discussions ... so here is the place.

I will begin by asking: what exactly is a keyframe scene? my logic suggests it is a still frame within the animation timeline (for such use as dforce items). But I want to know exactly what this term means.

Thanks.

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

It's almost certainly a fancy way of saying "composition", but don't worry, they won't judge the entries on any of the criteria they say they will anyway.   ;)

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

SnowSultan said:

they won't judge the entries on any of the criteria they say they will anyway. 

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this. BUT, I am also wondering just how much the social media likes and comments plays a part in the judging. While I am very tempted to make an animation for this, I am not really active on social media and do not have a 'following' to work with.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2021

Full rules here: https://blog.daz3d.com/sword-and-sorcery-fantasy-contest-rules/

A few observations...

• Although you're supposed to "showcase a keyframe scene, character, or environment," there's only one competition. So you don't have to say "this entry is for the character category, that one is for the environment one, etc." Whatever you submit will be judged against all three criteria. Just as well, because I don't know what a "keyframe scene" is either.
    • You have to "Post your submission to social media or your portfolio using the hashtag #MadeWithDaz." I don't know what they mean by "portfolio." Would your gallery page count? That could be an option for the social-media-averse. Alternatively you could create a throwaway twitter account purely for the purposes of this competition.
    • You also have to follow Daz, which you probably can't do from a portfolio, so burner twitter account it is then.
    • Nice to see that you can enter from (almost) anywhere in the world. Settling the local tax/legal consequences if you're lucky enough to win is largely your responsibility though.
    • "There is no limit to the number of submissions per individual" but "You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities or devices." Huh? Looks like some cutting and pasting has been happening
    • I'm quite confused by the prizes. The competition page says there'll be seven winners, but only three prizes: "1st Place: Zbrush 2021, 2nd Place: $500 CASH, 3rd Place: $200 Store Credit." The rules explain that there are three each of the $500 and $200 prizes - which gives us seven winners - but says the top prize is a "Zbrush 6 month subscription." Six months of Zbrush costs $180, so you'd be better off coming second or third than winning!
    • Make sure you keep an eye on your email. If you win a prize, but the email goes to your junk drawer, they'll award it to someone else instead!
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    • You have to "Post your submission to social media or your portfolio using the hashtag #MadeWithDaz." I don't know what they mean by "portfolio." Would your gallery page count? That could be an option for the social-media-averse. Alternatively you could create a throwaway twitter account purely for the purposes of this competition.
    • You also have to follow Daz, which you probably can't do from a portfolio, so burner twitter account it is then.

Well that leaves me out. I didn't care for FB or twitter before the election, despise them even more now.

Best of luck though to those that do enter.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2021

What social media platforms? Facebook? Tumblr? DeviantArt? ArtStation? I don't use the Tweeter or Insta. (Yes, I said it wrong on purpose, lol). 

Also, do these need to be new renders? Or new to contests renders? 

Also...I see my girl Frida on the main shop page widget and contest page :D

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,319

chris-2599934 said:

Full rules here: https://blog.daz3d.com/sword-and-sorcery-fantasy-contest-rules/

A few observations...

• Although you're supposed to "showcase a keyframe scene, character, or environment," there's only one competition. So you don't have to say "this entry is for the character category, that one is for the environment one, etc." Whatever you submit will be judged against all three criteria. Just as well, because I don't know what a "keyframe scene" is either.
    • Nice to see that you can enter from (almost) anywhere in the world. Settling the local tax/legal consequences if you're lucky enough to win is largely your responsibility though.
    • "There is no limit to the number of submissions per individual" but "You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities or devices." Huh? Looks like some cutting and pasting has been happening
    • I'm quite confused by the prizes. The competition page says there'll be seven winners, but only three prizes: "1st Place: Zbrush 2021, 2nd Place: $500 CASH, 3rd Place: $200 Store Credit." The rules explain that there are three each of the $500 and $200 prizes - which gives us seven winners - but says the top prize is a "Zbrush 6 month subscription." Six months of Zbrush costs $180, so you'd be better off coming second or third than winning!
    • Make sure you keep an eye on your email. If you win a prize, but the email goes to your junk drawer, they'll award it to someone else instead!

That is pretty odd. If they wanted the first prize to be better than the others why not offer a permanent license version. Plus I'm not much interested in programs by subscription anyway. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

So when it states "Use any item in the Daz store to create a static render or animation that relates to the Sword and Sorcery fantasy theme" does that mean no heavy post work since technically it isn't a render anymore after that.

edited July 2021

FSMCDesigns said:

So when it states "Use any item in the Daz store to create a static render or animation that relates to the Sword and Sorcery fantasy theme" does that mean no heavy post work since technically it isn't a render anymore after that.

I can tell you for a fact that the image they used of mine on both the store page and the contest page went through my normal post-work process. I don't think Daz has ever (that I've seen) said 'no postwork' in regards to a contest. To me, post-work is just part of the art process.

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

I think the definition you're looking for is High Fantasy. I'd imagine that anything within that umbrella would work.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

confused by  

1. Follow Daz on the social platform of your choosing

does this forum count as social platform?  i dont fb. 
    i block fb cookies
    the only site i 'follow' is ytube 

• FSMCDesigns said:

Static not animated.

mebbe an Orc fastgrab? enlightened some white wizard stuff?  dragon stuff?  hobbitses
    blood elft warcraft?

whats the official DAZ youtube channel?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

melissastjames said:

What social media platforms? Facebook? Tumblr? DeviantArt? ArtStation? I don't use the Tweeter or Insta. (Yes, I said it wrong on purpose, lol).

IIRC all of those as well as the gallery here were valid options for previous contests, so I would expect them to be ok this time too.

Mystiara said:

WWWDAZ3DCOM for Youtube

• LeticiaLeticia Posts: 126

Yeah, I was interested right up to 'social media'.  This is my favorite area, and I might consider something... but I don't do social media, or at least not anything that kids THESE days would call social media.

edited July 2021

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is.  

Typical example would be "Conan the Barbarian".
    "Sword and sorcery" tends to follow the adventures of a strong sword-wielding hero or sometimes heroine in a world full of surnatural creatures (like dragons), magical artifacts, magicians (often evil wizards), and so on. So yes, usually medieval fantasy.

Post edited by Leana on

3141592654 said:

Mystiara said:

WWWDAZ3DCOM for Youtube

Thanks.

does the hashtag thing work on youtube? 

all my youtube animations is daz content stuff.  its carrara, but its still daz content

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

You can use hashtags in the DAZ Gallery and they let contestants use the DAZ Gallery in the Woman's Day contest a couple of months ago. They did say, your favorite, as opposed to their favorite, social media site.

Personally I think the ZBrush 2021 prize for 1st place is a permanent license as the other makes no sense at all given there are 3 2nd prizes and 3 3rd prizes worth more than the 1st prize if what was earlier said in this thread is true..

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Two questions (Three questions, sire!)

Is Deviant Art sufficient and which account to follow there?

Are they really asking for the return of NVIATWAS? devil

edited July 2021

SlimerJSpud said:

Are they really asking for the return of NVIATWAS? devil

Well that would definitely fit the theme... Chain mail bikini VIATWAS would probably fit the contest rules better though ;)

Post edited by Leana on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited July 2021

I know I have zero chance of winning, but maybe I should submit an image of Michael in his +10,000 speedo of protection. 

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Seems like situation normal, all the rules are very clear .... to the person who made the rules. No doubt some rules will change and/or be "clarified" ...... sort of soon. Given what I saw with the season pass contests, the rules won't really be followed very closely for judging and prizes anyway surprise. The entries they simply like the most will win (I wasn't in the contests, just an outsiders observation).

I might try to enter just for fun, and an excuse to make an image wink.

So when it states "Use any item in the Daz store to create a static render or animation that relates to the Sword and Sorcery fantasy theme" does that mean no heavy post work since technically it isn't a render anymore after that.

It would be really nice if DAZ would offer two contest categories. One with minimal post work and one with moderate to heavy post work. I simply do not have the artistic skill with post work (or natural talent) to even compete with artists who go beyond minimal post work (levels, minor lighting, maybe a bit of sharpening).  (Note: this isn't because I'm a rendered image only snob, it's because I stink at post work, if I could do what others do in post, I would gladly do so myself.)

It is great that DAZ is sponsoring a contest like this where most everyone can enter, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, I'm sure there will be some amazing images!

edited July 2021

Chain mail bikini VIATWAS would probably fit the contest rules better though ;)

Hmmm ... an Iray Animation with CMB-VIATWAS might not win a render contest, but it sure might get some attention on social media. Can she defeat orcs, ogres, minotaurs, and other such creatures along the way? That must be some powerful sword and a magically protective chain mail bikini!

This Image might give some ideas ... or serve as a warning:

Boobplate Armor

Post edited by 3141592654 on

How about VIATWSC (Vicki In A Temple With Steel Claws)? VIATWAS fantasy images are still my favoite kind of render. Now you've forced me to start working on an entry blush

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

3141592654 said:

Hmmm ... an Iray Animation with CMB-VIATWAS might not win a render contest, but it sure might get some attention on social media. Can she defeat orcs, ogres, minotaurs, and other such creatures along the way? That must be some powerful sword and a magically protective chain mail bikini!

But of course, that's the whole theory of chainmail bikinis. They did say, sorcery!

Ditto on the postwork, Dustrider. I can't draw worth beans. That's why I use Daz!

SlimerJSpud said:

3141592654 said:

But of course, that's the whole theory of chainmail bikinis. They did say, sorcery!

Ditto on the postwork, Dustrider. I can't draw worth beans. That's why I use Daz!

yes laugh 

• solissolis Posts: 124

"Post your render on the social media platform of your choice with the hashtags #Daz3D and #MadeWithDaz, and don't forget to tag us!"

Call me cynical, but...This contest is nothing more than a thinly veiled advertising/promotion/marketing campaign for DAZ...at a fraction of the cost they would have had to pay a professional company. Heck, a few thousand dollars for wide spread, world-wide public exposure?

At least they're being 'transparent' about it. cheeky

solis said:

"Post your render on the social media platform of your choice with the hashtags #Daz3D and #MadeWithDaz, and don't forget to tag us!"

Call me cynical, but...This contest is nothing more than a thinly veiled advertising/promotion/marketing campaign for DAZ...at a fraction of the cost they would have had to pay a professional company. Heck, a few thousand dollars for wide spread, world-wide public exposure?

At least they're being 'transparent' about it. cheeky

this is a whole lot better than the youtube ad blitz

still traumatized by the last smelly belly one.