Has your purchase patterns increased? Decreased? Or remained about the same?

Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,033
edited July 2021 in The Commons

For me, with nearly a hundred pages of purchases, I've noticed that I've been slowing down with my buying. Unless it is an offering that is really unusual and I can fit it into my story arc, I tend to pass. 

The other day, DAZ was offering a mega sale with items more than 90% off. In the past I would have stocked up but with the inventory that I already have, a lot of that stuff looks the same and even that huge discount didn't persuade me to buy things. 

How about others? I'm just curious. 

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,062
    I still have £50 per month for all my hobbies. Cross stitch threads & canvas, fountain pen making, general machine tool parts for my metal lathe, mill and CNC router, material for my 3D printer and DS bits. As you can imagine, the cash is spread pretty thin. My next purchase is a 5" 4 jaw chuck for my lathe at, hopefully, under £60. So next month purchases of everything other than the chuck will be zero.
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,556
    edited July 2021

Noticeably less.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • For Daz, I've decreased - at first due to the financial uncertainty of the times, now just due to the fact that I can't use most of the new offerings here so that makes most sales uninteresting with the buy-in requirements.  I still have a massive wishlist, but so far there hasn't been a sale tailored to my inclinations :-D

• Decreased maybe more pending if everything created is only going to be for G8.1. Mostly concerning characters I regards to that. Other stuff like lights , vehicles and such more.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

My spending increased after each of the stimulus checks, because I had money, lol. Since the end of March, my spending here has slowed significantly. This is partly due to having less money available, but also largely due to the whole NFT debacle. I cut my wishlist to about a fifth of what it was and have been shoppiing at Renderosity a lot more since then.

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited July 2021

It decreased after figuring out how to create my own custom content. That's the game changer. So even the 90% off items don't entice me since I know I can make better quality items. And my art is more interesting if not ripped off from someone.

also knowing where to get the freebies.

Post edited by davidtriune on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2021

my first choice in shopping is to shop where they dont force webp.  just honest jpg.  i save one jpg promo for everything i buy

hasnt been anything new for carrara content in ages and ages.  last thing was a planet.    the cr2 export has never worked for me.  missing chunks of geometry.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

I'm spending about the same, but how/what I buy has changed. With the increase in prices, and the change in style/type of content/figures DAZ is making, there is less incentive for me to buy any of the bundles (only have 3 G8 Pro bundles, and one G8.1 bundle). It's also a very rare occasion that I participate in the "buy this to get a price break on that" sales because seldom do I want any of the "buy this" items, and having stuff I'll never use is not really productive for me.

I tend to only purchase items I'm very sure I will use. Of course, I've been here since 2004, so that is no doubt a huge factor. With Genesis 8 and 8.1 my purchases of pro/starter bundles and the more recent type of bundles, has really dropped off.  There haven't been many that were must haves for me. The product quality/details for a lot of DAZ Originals clothing simply isn't what I want. Again, paying for something I will probably never use to get a couple of discounted items I will use doesn't make sense for me. I'm also not a big fan of most of the new DAZ named G8/G8.1 characters, they just aren't my style. While I do have a bit of interest in some of them, I'm not interested in them at the typical prices when I can get a non-named HD character or PA HD character that I really like for much less.

Victoria for Genesis 8.1 was the first time I didn't get the new Victoria figure since getting Victoria 3. I just couldn't justify the cost for the quality. The character is great, but those tattoos!! While being great art creations, they looked more like body paint than tattoos. I'm just not going the pay a big price for something I have to "fix". The cloths in the bundles are also not as detailed as what I really want. For example, I'm looking for the details/quality of Aeon Soul or Linday. IMHO it seems a bit odd that most of the named G8/G8.1 characters seem to be pushing more toward the realistic end of things, yet many the cloths in the bundles fit better with a more toon/stylized figure (seriously, look at most of the boots, not very realistic details, mats, or shaders).

The only 8.1 bundle I've purchased was Cleopatra, and that was because I inadvertently checked the price in my cart during a store glitch and it was too good to pass up. It's interesting to note though that she is a more stylized figure, and I felt she fit well with her bundle, and the bundle was something I will use. I was very tempted to get the Topsy bundle(s). I thought everything fit well together, but was a bit out of my price range, I did get Topsy for $5 in the sale yesterday .... WooHoo!!

So to make a long story short (too late for that), I probably am not spending a lot less here now, though probably a bit less just due to the current situation and lost income. I am a lot  more discount aware than I used to be. Over the past year I've bought very few items during the introductory sales. Most of my purchases are a minimum 50% off, but usually 65% off or more. There is also less in the store that I really want .I really like fantasy, and fantasy "skimpwear", something DAZ is moving away from it seems.

I've got to add that the PC+ for a day sales have caused me to spend more than I would have this year. Too many really great items to pass on!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

My spending at Daz goes in waves.  I am currently closer to a trough than a peak.  I bought a lot of the V4/M4 generation.  I did not buy much when Genesis 1 was the current figure.  I bought quite a lot when Genesis 2 was the current figure.  I did not buy much when Genesis 3 was the current figure.  I bought a lot while Genesis 8 was the current figure.  I am buying less now that Genesis 8.1 is the current figure.  This is not a plan of mine; I find that new figures tend to come out just as I accumulate a coherent library of content that works well together.  And yet, because of the way Daz promotes older content as a bonus with new sales, I do have quite a bit of Genesis 1 and Genesis 3 content.  

Having said that, the PC-for-a-day sales also helped pry open my wallet.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Mystiara said:

my first choice in shopping is to shop where they dont force webp.  just honest jpg.  i save one jpg promo for everything i buy

wtf? why? wep is awesome. trust me I'm a web frontend engineer.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited July 2021

Decreased. The last few sets of new items have been for areas I'm not interested in. Also, I've been here for so long (started in 2005) that I've picked through all the sale items multiple times. I have more female characters than I'll ever use, enough clothing to stock two stores, and enough living environments (bed, bath, living room, kitchen, dining room, and extra rooms) to fit out a ten story condominium, and enough outdoor space to be parks and recreational areas for a population in the 100 to 150 thousand range.

I'm short on public transportation - buses, light rail, and rail - and automobiles that real people, including families, can actually fit in and take off to the corner grocery or on vacation. Also places for (and outfits for) blue collar workers - construction sites, farms, foundries, MHRV manufacturing plants, and other work sites.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited July 2021

Decreased. Signifigantly. I don't even have anything on my wishlist anymore. I spend just enough to use up my PC+ coupon, and that's about it.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • My buying has increased over the past year, both the number of items purchased and dollars spent.  The dollars per item spent is very low, however.  I've bought a large number of old items for less than $2 each, and now a lot of G8 items are selling for less than $4.   

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745

Over the past year I feel my spending has been going down in fits and starts. The increasing cost of living is eating into my free money and unexpected expenses (this week a vet bill roughly $2000.00 after a chunck the past few weeks too) have made me take a hard look at what I buy and when. My wishlist has grown, but I have also been pruning it. There are items by special PAs who have products I have seen in the Commercial Threads that I am reserving money for. I have also completed deleting over a 130 G8F characters off both my computers, many who were fillers in bundles, that also has made me leery of more character purchases without something really special. I am being cautious of G8.1, as I have mixed reactions to the character's skin. And let's not mentione the Season Pass fiasco. That left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Also, my computers are not as happy with the latest D|S upgrades as they were when I bought them. So that crunches my joy and happiness in the process.

• I definitely increased my spending.  Especially during the last big sale.  Took a little break to start working with all my new purchases (mostly G3M characters and products) and now I've got a few dozen items in my cart due to the weekend sales. Still adding to my cart for a little while longer and then I'll pull the trigger on those purchases.

I'm a relatively recent DAZ Studio user (about a year and a half) and have been picking up Genesis 8 products and now Genesis 3 items to round out my library.  I came from Poser (versions 1 through 12.)  Also, I'm still using DS 4.12.0.86 on a couple of Macs.  That version is super stable for me, which is why I continue to use it instead of 4.15. :)

Lee

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

Funny you should ask. I just left a request with the Help Desk for info on what would happen if I stop all purchases for 3 to 6 months. Hopefully I wouldn't be dropped automatically from the system. I can't afford Comcast's rates anymore, so I'll have to drop my internet service for at least 3 months to qualify for their low-income rate. I may, though, stretch that to 6 months, since saving money right now sounds like a very good idea.
    I mean, how many props can a person use in a lifetime, right? I've barely used 1% of what I have... mostly due to an old computer that can't handle most of them.
    Oh well, we all have our reasons. Still love Daz3d, and I have deep respect for them. Just need to take a breath for awhile to refill my coffers.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,556

You should ask customer service to be sure, but I've had gaps over 2 years in my order history and my account was waiting for me when I came back.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2021

My purchase pattern to my surprise increased since Jun 2020 when I realised I needed at lot of sets and a lot of (very nice) sets also started showing up in the DAZ Store. Also, that was in large part driven by DAZ and the PAs starting to do on the occasional sale, $5 Interactive Licenses for those PA sets. I would of never of bought all those at full price for the interactive licenses but would have waited for absolute neccessity and just bought what was actually going to used in a published fashion. So bottom line, I bought more than I'll use, but also I thought of scenes I wouldn't have tried otherwise, so it's a win-win.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I rarely purchase anything for less than 70% off anymore but I still find myself spending a lot because when items are $1.99 or 80% off or more I stock up. I wait till I can get bundles cheap and doing the math, most items end up between $2.00-$3.00 dollars each (including the core characters) if I divide the total price of the bundle by the number of items in it. I’m a very careful spender, but it adds up. I rarely spend more than $20 on a core character bundle unless it comes with a LOT of freebies at launch that I can use. Everything goes on deep sale eventually. I can wait. I have more than enough to last a lifetime but whenever I can get things on deep sale I continue to buy more. If they didn’t have these deep sales, I’d stop shopping completely. I really don’t NEED anything. But I’m still spending and buying regularly at deep sale prices. 

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

My spending has decreased substantially since the NFT crap led me to unsubscribe from the newsletter.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,098

Torquinox said:

You should ask customer service to be sure, but I've had gaps over 2 years in my order history and my account was waiting for me when I came back.

Same here. If you disappear for long enough, they start sending you "please come back" coupons. 

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

I still buy PA items, although I spend significantly less. I've completely stopped purchasing DO items, and a lot of what I was spending here goes toward software and making my own stuff.  

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited July 2021

about the same..

But I don't buy characters/morphs anymore due to the penalty paid on load times.  If Daz5.0 can help address asset volume's effect on load time, I'd propbably pick up buying characters again but currently, adding in more just works against my work flow time-wise.

Plus, a lot of the items that are coming out, don't appeal to me that much...  I do mostly fantasy/sci-fi kinds of stuff, so I just kinda wait for Environments and Props that can be used or repurposed for what I am doing.  

Post edited by Chumly on
  • UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 142

at the beginning - like 2 to 3 years ago - i spent a lot because i didn't have any morphs etc.

My purchasing then decreased because i had accumulated a library to use.

Recently there was an uptick in spending as bought some old figures and morphs.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008

Chumly said:

about the same..

But I don't buy characters/morphs anymore due to the penalty paid on load times.  If Daz5.0 can help address asset volume's effect on load time, I'd propbably pick up buying characters again but currently, adding in more just works against my work flow time-wise.

Plus, a lot of the items that are coming out, don't appeal to me that much...  I do mostly fantasy/sci-fi kinds of stuff, so I just kinda wait for Environments and Props that can be used or repurposed for what I am doing.  

Yes, this has affected my purchasing. Now avoiding characters. Easy enough to make mynown, I suppose.

• markgoode77markgoode77 Posts: 343

Plummeted.

Daz customer experience is not good.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 635

Decreased.

Higher prices combined with decreased qualty control makes me more reluctant to pull the trigger. I've even let PC+ coupons lapse. Meanwhile at the "other" store I'm spending about the same as always.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731
    edited July 2021

gerster said:

Mystiara said:

wtf? why? wep is awesome. trust me I'm a web frontend engineer.

Webp is fine as a standard in itself, but force converting other formats to webp during download which is common (if not the standard now) is an intrusion.  If I want webp instead of jpg or whatever I can convert myself after download, with the settings I prefer. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

My purchase pattern is always the same - spending more than planned.