Which coordinate system to use if I have to rotate a figure which is not alighned to any axis?

Which coordinate system to use if I have to rotate a figure which is not alighned to any axis?

PS. And a second quesion which is may brelated to the previous one: How to align the screen to the horizon? I mean it is easy to tilt the screen but how to align it beack (It probably is stupid but I try to align it visially).

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

To align flat, click on any side surface (face or edge) of the Camera Cube (i.e., Front would give zero rotations about the camera axes). If using Keyboard Navigation (Shift-K) try Alt-P. As to the coordinate systems, there aren't that many to choose from, so try different ones to see what works for you. All of them will "rotate" the figure, but differently... hard to determine what you are looking for.

• NorthOf45 said:

To align flat, click on any side surface (face or edge) of the Camera Cube (i.e., Front would give zero rotations about the camera axes). If using Keyboard Navigation (Shift-K) try Alt-P. As to the coordinate systems, there aren't that many to choose from, so try different ones to see what works for you. All of them will "rotate" the figure, but differently... hard to determine what you are looking for.

So no rule of thumb? Or said in another way - there is certain way to align it?

What do you want to align? To clarify, I was talking about the camera alignment with the viewport horizon.

To align the figure with some coordinate system, you have to adjust the Center Point of the rigging, for starters. Long story short, place the figure where you want it, move the center point to [0, 0, 0] and save as a Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Asset to make it permanent. You can either replace the one you have or make a new one. If you are re-saving, most of the info will already be in place when prompted for Product name, Vendor name, and all that, from the instance you loaded to begin with.

• NorthOf45 said:

What do you want to align?

I mean neither of the figure 3 axis are at any of the 0, 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,469

handel_035c4ce6 said:

NorthOf45 said:

I mean neither of the figure 3 axis are at any of the 0, 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees.

What figure and where did you get it?

Have you looked what the xyz rotation dials say in "Parameters Tab" for the figure and it's hip?

• PerttiA said:

handel_035c4ce6 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Have you looked what the xyz rotation dials say in "Parameters Tab" for the figure and it's hip?

Any figure may stay in similar position. And for unknown reason the rotation sliders under Parameter tag rarery corresponds to the rotation circles of the gismo.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,469

handel_035c4ce6 said:

PerttiA said:

handel_035c4ce6 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Any figure may stay in similar position. And for unknown reason the rotation sliders under Parameter tag rarery corresponds to the rotation circles of the gismo.

Nevermind the gizmo. If you zero all the rotation dials in "Parameters Tab" or use "Zero Figure" (Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure) what happens?

How are you looking at the figure, is your camera tilted?

• PerttiA said:

handel_035c4ce6 said:

PerttiA said:

handel_035c4ce6 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Nevermind the gizmo. If you zero all the rotation dials in "Parameters Tab" or use "Zero Figure" (Right Click at Parameters Tab->Zero->Zero Figure) what happens?

How are you looking at the figure, is your camera tilted?

If I zero the figure pose it goes to the 0,0,0 in the default pose, this is not a problem. But from here it is PITA to return it and pose if as it was before because I want to make just a tiny adjustment (for example it stays a little bit awry). But moving any rotation slider rotates around all the other axis at the same time and instead of the legs only the whole figure becomes haywire.
    And if I just put all the sliders at zero the whole figure moves at some weird pose which had nothing in common the innitial pose.

Fro now I'm getting the best results by putting the settinds to "Screen coordinates", clicking on the cube to go to the needed orto projection and manually adjusting the rotation through the gismo. But if I instead try the slider with the corresponding color everything goes haywire again.

Nevermind, forget the question. Long live the Gismo!

The Parameter dials are set to one coordinate system (World Coordinates, I believe), but the gizmo can use any one of the selections in Tool Settings for any of the manipulation tools (Universal, Translate, Rotate, Scale).

• NorthOf45 said:

The Parameter dials are set to one coordinate system (World Coordinates, I believe), but the gizmo can use any one of the selections in Tool Settings for any of the manipulation tools (Universal, Translate, Rotate, Scale).

Oh, I see, thanks! Never knew this.

BTW - how to align the frame to the horizon after using the tilt?

See my first reply.

• NorthOf45 said:

See my first reply.

Oh, yes, it worked. I didin't understand it is related to the tilt question. Thanks!

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    edited July 2021

Might not be your problem, but when I work with objects with wonky rotation axis, or have translation values that make them rotate off of world center, I create a null at 0,0,0 and parent the object(s) in question to that null. I then rotate and / or move the null rather than the object. This is also an easy method to move two interacting characters or objects around your scene without having to adjust each one.

Post edited by rrward on
  • rrward said:

Might not be your problem, but when I work with objects with wonky rotation axis, or have translation values that make them rotate off of world center, I create a null at 0,0,0 and parent the object(s) in question to that null. I then rotate and / or move the null rather than the object. This is also a easy method to move to interacting characters or objects around your scene without having to adjust each one. 

Thanks! Will try it.