copyright question re: art on 3d products

ats3717ats3717 Posts: 11

My understanding is that you're allowed to use the models you purchase on DAZ3d in 2D renders art and sell those renderss for commercial porjects (as long as you don't redistribute the models or textures, and you don't put them in video games without the proper license).  Does this allowance for 2d renders cover the art that appears on the models, as well?  For instance, a bottle has a label on it with some art that the maker produced?  Would that label be covered under the same allowance as the model?

If someone from DAZ could answer I'd be happy/  

Comments

• ats3717ats3717 Posts: 11

PS:  sorry for all the typos.  It's been a long day.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you talking about textures that are included with the model? If so, then yes, those would be covered under the same license. If you're talking about putting art from somewhere else on a 3D model, then that would depend on the license of that particular art.

No, for instance.  Let's say Daz sells a 3d soda bottle.  The soda bottle automatically comes with a unique label, like any soda bottle in real life, that says "soda" and unique smiley face and pattern on it that the creator of the mode made.  It's already on the model when you buy it and use it in your render.  Daz sold the soda bottle with it on it.  Is that art also covered by the allowance for 2d renders? 

For further clarification, let's use this product as an example.  

Industrial Loft Dining Room Decoration Add-on | Daz 3D

In this set it includes a picture model that says "Coffee, Brew, ect" in a funky, unique design.  I know that using the frame would be ok, but Is using the picture with that art design included in your 2d render acceptable under the agreement?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013

Oh yes you could use that one.

Steer clear [usually found more often with freebies] of official trademarked items such as for "CocaCola" etc. Those can become very expensive ;-)

Also, whether it's still in the store or not I don't know, but there was at least "one" set sold at Daz3D which I acquired a LONG time ago ... and the PA that had made the models was using demo images from unpaid for software programs. Granted all those fancy bars looked interesting but no. Don't use promo demo images from any company's software programs. It's just not cool.

• I think Catherine has already answered your question. You should be able to get away with it. Only ones that worry me are some of the art portraits. Which I know probably should be free use, but if you don't know where they came from, you are trusting the vendor. If you ever are worried about it take the source picture, chuck it in photoshop, invert some colours and maybe replace the text with some of your own. Might take you all of 5 mins depending your skill level and you'll sleep better knowing no one can claim your stuff! Is also a good practice in that it will make your renders seem that little bit more unique.

Templates are often provided, or are easy enough to make, simply for the purpose of retexturing the props, clothing, etc. After all, if millions of people have download Daz Studio and "everybody" gets the same product, the excitement of the artwork would wear thin on the general viewing population.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Nicely put.

Two web pages of interest when designing packaging: Myfonts dot com and textures dot com

"Myfonts" in particular does a good job of placing their typefaces in situ, eg. if you want something for a bottle of soda there may well be a typeface called just that, and it will be displayed on a bottle too!

• donchan1donchan1 Posts: 48

I have used Daz3d renderings for websites and other online content with no problem at all, as long you make your own renderings and did not steal the model from somewhere else. My only question so far this will be a little off topic but kinda related in regards to a video or animation which was made by myself and using daz studio products...was it also considered as your own too? thanks.

Yes AFAIK.