Is it possible to request previous versions of Daz Studio?

Hello everyone, I have a problem. I recently tried to open some old files created with Daz Studio 4.10 with a recent version of this program, but unfortunately it doesn't work in older versions. I have tried other versions of the program backwards, up to the native version of the files, the 4.10: the files now work perfectly. Unfortunately I can only find a 32-bit version of 4.10, so I would like to know if it is possible to ask the creators for an original version of Daz 4.10 x64, instead of looking for it on the internet, with the risk of catching some viruses. Thanks a lot.

Here a loading screen.

DZ.png
651 x 491 - 689K

Comments

• What is failing when you try to load the scene?

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited July 2021

dofit11332 said:

Hello everyone, I have a problem. I recently tried to open some old files created with Daz Studio 4.10 with a recent version of this program, but unfortunately it doesn't work in older versions. I have tried other versions of the program backwards, up to the native version of the files, the 4.10: the files now work perfectly. Unfortunately I can only find a 32-bit version of 4.10, so I would like to know if it is possible to ask the creators for an original version of Daz 4.10 x64, instead of looking for it on the internet, with the risk of catching some viruses. Thanks a lot.

Here a loading screen.

I got a lot of flack for suggesting people back up their DS install zips so they won't have this very issue as it's simply just copying the DS install zip file along with the dsx file to a backup folder, but yeah, next time back up your DS install zip and dsx files...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633
    edited July 2021

You can file a help ticket and Customer Service MIGHT provide you with an earlier version.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

takezo_3001 said:

dofit11332 said:

Here a loading screen.

I got a lot of flack for suggesting people back up their DS install zips so they won't have this very issue as it's simply just copying the DS install zip file along with the dsx file to a backup folder, but yeah, next time back up your DS install zip and dsx files...

Yes, that is what I am doing, just in case :) 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited July 2021

Petra said:

Yep, I have a pretty long list of backups but it's been pretty much my habit whenever I download/install a new version of the software, I have hundreds of copies of old and new programs clogging up my HDD! :)

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,992

takezo_3001 said:

Petra said:

Yep, I have a pretty long list of backups but it's been pretty much my habit whenever I download/install a new version of the software, I have hundreds of copies of old and new programs clogging up my HDD! :)

So did I ... but then, the "one" I want ... do you think I can find the installer, nope. Oh well. I'm okay with 4.15 atm. Hoping for a final release of 4.something more stable before 5 rolls out. Since there's the beta, we have reason to hope yes. 

Swept all my installers off the HDD on to an external drive.

• Maybe my English isn't very good, but I think it's pretty understandable that I obviously have older versions of Daz, and the one I need is unfortunately 32-bit. 

Richard Haseltine said:

What is failing when you try to load the scene?

Everything. If I load a scene into a newer version of Daz than 4.10, the scene is empty. So, for that I would need a 4.10 X64. Someone could give me their copy, but as I understand it, it is forbidden to redistribute Daz. Quite odd, given that it is a free program...

zombietaggerung said:

You can file a help ticket and Customer Service MIGHT provide you with an earlier version.

How can I do? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited July 2021

You cannot redistribute Daz Studio. Check your product library which may contain an older version you can install. What are you trying to open? and what version of DS are you using?

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

When I asked for an old version from Daz store customer service they denied the request. 

• As I said, I've already checked, and the version I need is 4.10 X64. I always keep all versions of Daz, but unfortunately, this time the one I'm missing is just the one I need. And as I said (again), I'm trying to open jobs that I did with Daz version 4.10 but that don't work with all later ones. The file is loaded but appears empty. If I try to export the scene in .obj and other formats, it continues to be empty.

Why does it seem so difficult to understand?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

What does the log say?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189

Open DS, load your scene your trying to open. Go to Help>View Log File and read through it. If you see any warnings post them here so we can see whats going on.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633

dofit11332 said:

Maybe my English isn't very good, but I think it's pretty understandable that I obviously have older versions of Daz, and the one I need is unfortunately 32-bit. 

Richard Haseltine said:

What is failing when you try to load the scene?

Everything. If I load a scene into a newer version of Daz than 4.10, the scene is empty. So, for that I would need a 4.10 X64. Someone could give me their copy, but as I understand it, it is forbidden to redistribute Daz. Quite odd, given that it is a free program...

zombietaggerung said:

How can I do? 

Go Here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and make sure you are Signed In at the top of the page.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

takezo_3001 said:

Petra said:

Yes, it is always good to backup programs, one never knows when it is needed to roll back. 

dofit11332 said:

As I said, I've already checked, and the version I need is 4.10 X64. I always keep all versions of Daz, but unfortunately, this time the one I'm missing is just the one I need. And as I said (again), I'm trying to open jobs that I did with Daz version 4.10 but that don't work with all later ones. The file is loaded but appears empty. If I try to export the scene in .obj and other formats, it continues to be empty.

Why does it seem so difficult to understand?

The difficulty is that it should be possible for any of the newer ediitons of D/S to open a scene made by 4.10. So they are trying to help you figure out what has gone wrong.

An idea, since you can load the scene in 4.10 32bit, do so and then resave the scene either as a scene or scene subset with a new name. With DIM you can install the 4.15 beta edition of D/S. And then see if the freshly saved file will load there. And if it does, then you can uninstall 4.10 and install a more recent edition [like 4.15 perhaps] and be able to update the shaders etc. in the scene and save it again with the more recent edition.