Are Interactive Licenses needed to use Daz renders in visual novels?

Hi everyone, is an Interactive license required to use daz renders in an visual novel game?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Terms of Use. Two Dimensional Works. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, User may (i) access, use, copy and modify the Content in the creation and presentation of two-dimensional animations and renderings, (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived by User from the Content in User's other works, and (iii) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense User's two-dimensional animations, renderings and other works; provided that User may not in any case publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content, or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the Content can be separately exported, extracted or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or format.

The EULA is really not that hard to understand.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

As long as you're using only 2D renders (still images or animations) in your game engine, and not the 3D meshes or textures themselves, then the standard license should be enough.

• As I understand it, no. Because a visual novel isn't "interactive". The renders you produce are considered your own art.

• ronstringfellow said:

As I understand it, no. Because a visual novel isn't "interactive". The renders you produce are considered your own art.

It isn't a matter of interaction, it's 2D renders vs 3D data (or textures) that is the determining factor. An old-school dungeon-delver that used 2D sprites (like the original Elder Scrolls games or Dungeon Master) would not require an Interactive License, depending on how the walls were generated.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Ascania said:

Terms of Use. Two Dimensional Works. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, User may (i) access, use, copy and modify the Content in the creation and presentation of two-dimensional animations and renderings, (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived by User from the Content in User's other works, and (iii) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense User's two-dimensional animations, renderings and other works; provided that User may not in any case publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content, or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the Content can be separately exported, extracted or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or format.

The EULA is really not that hard to understand.

LOL, expect that kind of reception when you publish your novel.