Vehicles scaled for G8 models?

Would anyone happen to know if this vehicle is scaled for G8? I've heard about and experienced some horror stories with some other vehicles.

https://www.daz3d.com/retro-pickup-truck

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

RenderPretender said:

Would anyone happen to know if this vehicle is scaled for G8? I've heard about and experienced some horror stories with some other vehicles.

Thanks for any input!

That truck is way too big, but it still seems correctly proportioned. As long as you scale it to 90% or so, it should be fine.

Polish generally makes high-quality stuff. If you can get the retro vehicle bundle, I'd recommend it.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029

margrave said:

RenderPretender said:

Thanks for any input!

That truck is way too big, but it still seems correctly proportioned. As long as you scale it to 90% or so, it should be fine.

Polish generally makes high-quality stuff. If you can get the retro vehicle bundle, I'd recommend it.

Thank you for the info! Is the same true of the other Polish vehicles? Thanks in advance!

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

RenderPretender said:

Thank you for the info! Is the same true of the other Polish vehicles? Thanks in advance!

I checked the other two retro vehicles and the upper class roadster, and they all seem like they're the correct size. I've yet to be disappointed by a Polish product.

margrave said:

RenderPretender said:

I checked the other two retro vehicles and the upper class roadster, and they all seem like they're the correct size. I've yet to be disappointed by a Polish product.

Thank you for your kind reply!

• This truck is great, but is there any way to reduce or eliminate the opacity on just the door glass? I'd love to have the occupants put their elbows out the windows, but the glass mat zone seems to incllude all of the cab glass.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Since the door opens, look in the scene tab if the window is a seperate node.

If not, then use the geometry editor and see if you can isolate just the window.  Easiest way to do that is to select the truk in the scene tab and then using the Geometry editor, just click on the window and then hold Ctrl and hold the + key on the numpad and it will grow the selection to included all polgons that its attached to.  Hopefully the geometry for the window is not modeled directly to the door but instead a seperate object that can be rezoned as a new mat zone.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

RenderPretender said:

This truck is great, but is there any way to reduce or eliminate the opacity on just the door glass? I'd love to have the occupants put their elbows out the windows, but the glass mat zone seems to incllude all of the cab glass.

You could try making a opacity map to mask out the side windows. Or hide the regions with the geometry editor. 

• You can scale the model.  Assuming that the model's proportions are correct - For cars, use the wheelbase of the real-world vehicle that the model represents and adjust the overall scaling, until the model's wheel base measures correctly.  For aircraft, use the wingspan.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Slightly off topic, but @Mattymanx, I can't find a license plate for my Llamaghini Amenazador Version 2. Am I overlooking an option?

barbult said:

Slightly off topic, but @Mattymanx, I can't find a license plate for my Llamaghini Amenazador Version 2. Am I overlooking an option?

No, I never made any plates for them.  Sorry.

Mattymanx said:

barbult said:

No, I never made any plates for them.  Sorry.

I guess I should be able to make a simple one from a plane. Thanks for replying.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

If no compatible figures are listed for the vehicle then no it isn't scaled properly.

Serene Night said:

If no compatible figures are listed for the vehicle then no it isn't scaled properly.

I thought figures would only be listed as compatible if poses for those figures were included.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

barbult said:

Serene Night said:

I thought figures would only be listed as compatible if poses for those figures were included.

dunno. That was never specified.

edited August 2021

Mattymanx said:

Since the door opens, look in the scene tab if the window is a seperate node.

If not, then use the geometry editor and see if you can isolate just the window.  Easiest way to do that is to select the truk in the scene tab and then using the Geometry editor, just click on the window and then hold Ctrl and hold the + key on the numpad and it will grow the selection to included all polgons that its attached to.  Hopefully the geometry for the window is not modeled directly to the door but instead a seperate object that can be rezoned as a new mat zone.

It appears that you're right about the door glass being a separate object! Now, how do I make it a discrete mat zone after selecting it? Thank you!

Edit: I sorted out how to create surfaces for the window glasses for each door. However, when I select each new surface in the Surfaces tab and dial down the opacity to 0, the left window disappears completely in the render, but the right one's orange-ish mesh still shows in the render. Can't seem to figure out why the two identical surfaces are behaving differently.

Edit: Got it. I was still in the GE and had the truch selected in the Scene tab. Now, can I save the surface setting for the rest of the cabin glass and apply it to the door glass in case I ever want to dial them back in with opacity?

Post edited by RenderPretender on
    edited August 2021

barbult said:

Serene Night said:

The only products that have figure compatibility listed are content such as hair, clothes, characters and poses.  These are addons because they are made to fit to the figure or modify it in some manner.  Vehicles on the other hand are not addons for figures anymore then an interior set or exterior set.  The only time figure compatibility should be listed with vehicles or sets is if they included content that will modify a figure or fit something to the figure.

I can only speak for my own products, but I did try to keep them to real world scale.  Finding interiors to scale is extremely difficult however.  Though super sports cars are not the roomiest vehicles on the planet so it do understand that it may be a bit difficult to fit a six foot character with shoes and hair into the cars.  However,you dont always have to show the whole figure in the shot, just what is needed. 

Post edited by Mattymanx on

RenderPretender said:

Got it. I was still in the GE and had the truch selected in the Scene tab. Now, can I save the surface setting for the rest of the cabin glass and apply it to the door glass in case I ever want to dial them back in with opacity?

After you have the windows separated, you can save a new copy of the vehicle without overwriting the original and use it for now on.  Just make sure the truck is in its default position and such before doing so.

To save surface settings, you can select the glass in the surface tab, make sure the vehicle is selected in the scene tab as well, then you can save that surface as a Shader Preset anywhere on your computer and use it on any surface here after.  Just make sure that both the surface and item are selected before applying the shader preset.  I find using the Surface selection Tool the easiest way to do both at the same time.

• Mattymanx said:

RenderPretender said:

Got it. I was still in the GE and had the truch selected in the Scene tab. Now, can I save the surface setting for the rest of the cabin glass and apply it to the door glass in case I ever want to dial them back in with opacity?

After you have the windows separated, you can save a new copy of the vehicle without overwriting the original and use it for now on.  Just make sure the truck is in its default position and such before doing so.

To save surface settings, you can select the glass in the surface tab, make sure the vehicle is selected in the scene tab as well, then you can save that surface as a Shader Preset anywhere on your computer and use it on any surface here after.  Just make sure that both the surface and item are selected before applying the shader preset.  I find using the Surface selection Tool the easiest way to do both at the same time.

Thank you very much for your help!

RenderPretender said:

Mattymanx said:

RenderPretender said:

Thank you very much for your help!

You're welcome!

• scaling vehicles..  use google to find wheelbase
    create a cube primitive 1 foot ... scale either x or z to the wheelbase. (convert inches to feet)
    put cube between the axle centers ... size car until axle centers hit cube. 
    ---
    and same for wings. 
    and standard door is basically 6'8" high with doorknob at 3 feet high. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

alan bard newcomer said:

scaling vehicles..  use google to find wheelbase
    create a cube primitive 1 foot ... scale either x or z to the wheelbase. (convert inches to feet)
    put cube between the axle centers ... size car until axle centers hit cube. 
    ---
    and same for wings. 
    and standard door is basically 6'8" high with doorknob at 3 feet high. 

Scaling the whole vehicle is no problem, if the relative dimensions of the vehicle are somewhat correct...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/494246/blue-mamba-and-undrivable-daz-vehicles-because-of-scaling-issues/p1 ;