Max samples vs Percent Complete

Good Evening.

As you can see in my attachment I'm soon approaching my Max Samples while my percent complete is at 26.  Does this affect my render, and if so, how can I fix it?

Thank you.

Max vs percent.PNG
1178 x 430 - 412K

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2021

Rendering Quality is exponential, I believe. 2.0 takes twice as long as 1.0, 3.0 takes twice as long as 2.0, etc. At a setting of 4.4 at 100%, it'll take forever to converge. If you're worried about it, open the parameters setting and disable the limits for Max Samples & Max Time, then set them to -1. That way, they'll render until they converge, or the universe reaches heat death, whichever comes first.

Personally I don't bother with Rendering Quality at all. I just render it until it looks good.

EDIT:

Per Sickleyield, it's actually impossible to reach a convergence of 100%.

Post edited by margrave on
  • Hi Margrave, thanks for such a quick reply.

OHHHH!!!!!! NOW I get it!!  The percent is the march towords "Convergence"!!!

I think a light, (with bloom effect) just went off in my head...

Thank you so much!!!

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

wjpblathwayt said:

Hi Margrave, thanks for such a quick reply.

OHHHH!!!!!! NOW I get it!!  The percent is the march towords "Convergence"!!!

I think a light, (with bloom effect) just went off in my head...

Thank you so much!!!

"Convergence" basically means your render is photo-accurate. However, since 100% photo-accuracy would require calculating so many light rays your computer would explode, you need to manually set the acceptable quality range.

Rendering Quality is how good you want the final render to look, and the Ratio is how close to the mythical photoreal image you're willing to go.

• Convergence is an estimate of when a pixel is to its final value (Iray also has another, suposedly somewhat better, way of estimating this). The quality setting determines how fussy iray is about deciding when a pixel is converged. As far as I know convergence is caculated by how much the pixel varies with each additional path that hits it.

• Thank you Margrave and Richard, you've explained alot!

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

My understanding of convergence is that it's the percentage of pixels whose values weren't changed in the most recent iteration. That's why it stays at 0% for a long time at the start, where it's changing every pixel every time, rushes through the middle values, and then slows down at the end as the last few pixels are dealt with. The quality number determines how fussy Daz is when deciding what constitutes a change in value.

If you set those values too high, your computer won't "explode," it'll just grind away forever making imperceptible changes to the image forever in pursuit of some imaginary "quality" target.

The numbers that we put into the renderer are all very well, but the only thing that matters is how it looks to the mark 1 eyeball. If an image looks good to you, it is good. Don't obsess about reaching higher numbers.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I set Render Quality to 1.0 and Convergence to 95%. I also set the Maximum Iterations to 5000 and it almost always reaches 5000 before it converges to 95% render quality. I set time to 0 otherwise it would reach that before it reached 5000 iterations.

• chris-2599934 said:

My understanding of convergence is that it's the percentage of pixels whose values weren't changed in the most recent iteration. That's why it stays at 0% for a long time at the start, where it's changing every pixel every time, rushes through the middle values, and then slows down at the end as the last few pixels are dealt with. The quality number determines how fussy Daz is when deciding what constitutes a change in value.

If you set those values too high, your computer won't "explode," it'll just grind away forever making imperceptible changes to the image forever in pursuit of some imaginary "quality" target.

The numbers that we put into the renderer are all very well, but the only thing that matters is how it looks to the mark 1 eyeball. If an image looks good to you, it is good. Don't obsess about reaching higher numbers.

I don't think it's unchnaged, but it's soemthing like unchnaged within a set limit - the quality, I believe, governs how strict that limit is.