Many User's Avatars are Missing

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
edited July 2021 in The Commons

Many users' avatar images are missing in forum posts. Not all, but many. For example Richard Haseltine no longer has his cat avatar.

227 x 211 - 8K
Post edited by barbult on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Is this possibly because I disabled webp in Firefox? But why would that only affect some avatars?

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

I have disabled it too, but I still see the avatar of Richard. However, at one point, some avatars, even mine, were gone; a refresh brought them back, though.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited July 2021

...not sure. 

Mystiara keeps getting Chrome logos in place of thumbnails on store pages. I use Chrome and haven't seen that so I suggested she check her settings, maybe something was inadvertently turned off relating to displaying .webp images.. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

Some avatar images want to download as webp, some as jpg. I have noticed that sometimes promo images want to download as one or the other, sometimes on successive tries. I don't know how it is decided who gets what, when, so...

I can't see the icons for creating and editing messages, either.

Screenshot 2021-07-24 205757.png
    1225 x 122 - 8K

kyoto kid's avatar was missing until I refreshed the page several times. Now I can see it. I still can't see the icons for message creation/editing, though.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I haven't been able to see any Daz generated avatars for days (the different smiley faces that show up if you don't choose your own avatar).

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

I've had webp disabled in Firefox, tried to enable it (and restart Firefox) but I see no difference, some user's avatars are missing in both cases.  No difference with the message icons either, I see them all in both cases.

I think they have a general problem affecting certain things, "(owned)" is also missing for the Required Products fields if you own the required product and I think (?) that started at the same time as the missing avatars.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383

What browsers have been being used? I'm using Chrome and I haven't had any of these issues. At least that I've noticed.

AllenArt said:

I haven't been able to see any Daz generated avatars for days (the different smiley faces that show up if you don't choose your own avatar).

I noticed that your custom avatar has disappeared and now I see this one for you. Did you delete the custome one?

AA Avatar.png
    180 x 217 - 8K

frank0314 said:

What browsers have been being used? I'm using Chrome and I haven't had any of these issues. At least that I've noticed.

Firefox 90.0.2 (64 bit)

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,926

frank0314 said:

I use FF and opera, and even allenart's avatar is gone! 

Taoz said:

I've had webp disabled in Firefox, tried to enable it (and restart Firefox) but I see no difference, some user's avatars are missing in both cases.  No difference with the message icons either, I see them all in both cases.

I think they have a general problem affecting certain things, "(owned)" is also missing for the Required Products fields if you own the required product and I think (?) that started at the same time as the missing avatars.

Maybe the timing with me disabling webp is just a coincidence. It may be a Daz problem and not my problem.

I also have FF installed ,but don't use it anymore because they revamped or have gotten rid of some of the plug-ins that I always use. I'll go see if it happens to me on FF.

I wonder if this is something like the readme problem, where you had to click on it a dozen or more times to finally get it to show up.Yesterday, when I refreshed the forum page several times, some avatars that were missing entirely, started to show up.

Have you tried a hard refresh or dumped cache. Does Richard have his avatar today for you? I'm seeing it in FF and chrome.

frank0314 said:

Have you tried a hard refresh or dumped cache. Does Richard have his avatar today for you? I'm seeing it in FF and chrome.

Normal page refreshing several times yesterday brought Richard's avatar (and others) back again for me. I don't know what a "hard refresh" is or how to "dump cache".

RH Avatar.png
    178 x 250 - 23K

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

I noticed that your custom avatar has disappeared and now I see this one for you. Did you delete the custome one?

I still don't see it in Firefox whether webp is enabled or disabled.

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

I did delete the custom one, but I don't even see that one that you posted. LOL I'm on Google Chrome and I didn't do a thing about hiding any kind of images. Must be an extension or was there a recent update?

barbult said:

I wonder if this is something like the readme problem, where you had to click on it a dozen or more times to finally get it to show up.Yesterday, when I refreshed the forum page several times, some avatars that were missing entirely, started to show up.

The ReadMe problem was fixed recenly, they now show up on first try.

edited July 2021

I cleared my cache and everything. Signed in, signed out. No love. I see my avatar when I go to edit my profile and change the thumbnail. It's there. But not here in the forums. 

I get this:

Capture.PNG
    194 x 153 - 4K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited July 2021

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

I still see this one (Firefox 90.0.2 / 64):

daz_missing_avatar.png
    143 x 100 - 4K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2021

barbult said:

frank0314 said:

Normal page refreshing several times yesterday brought Richard's avatar (and others) back again for me. I don't know what a "hard refresh" is or how to "dump cache".

Control F5 is a hard refresh and to clear cache go to (firefox):

Click the menu button and select Options
    Select the Privacy & Security panel.
    In the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data….
    Remove the check mark in front of Cookies and Site Data.
    With Cached Web Content check marked, click the Clear button.
    Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.

Post edited by frank0314 on

AllenArt said:

I cleared my cache and everything. Signed in, signed out. No love. I see my avatar when I go to edit my profile and change the thumbnail. It's there. But not here in the forums. 

I get this:

The URL for your new generic smiley face is https://i1.wp.com/vanillicon.com/cf1aa0aeceb7a46412c9855893bceb85_100.png?ssl=1

frank0314 said:

barbult said:

frank0314 said:

Control F5 is a hard refresh and to clear cache go to (firefox):

Click the menu button and select Options
    Select the Privacy & Security panel.
    In the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data….
    Remove the check mark in front of Cookies and Site Data.
    With Cached Web Content check marked, click the Clear button.
    Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.

Thank you, Frank. Hard refresh brought back the icons in the message creation box for me.

icons are back.png
    840 x 182 - 28K

Awesome

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

barbult said:

I can't see the icons for creating and editing messages, either.

I've had this happen to me in Chrome as well. It happens randomly though (looks fine at the moment). A few avatars have vanished on me as well but they return later. The disappearing avatars hasn't happened as much as the post icons going blank.

And now I've just had a spate of 502 and 504 gateway errors in the forums.

We've been getting that for weeks now. Not sure what's going on.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited July 2021

frank0314 said:

I also have FF installed ,but don't use it anymore because they revamped or have gotten rid of some of the plug-ins that I always use. I'll go see if it happens to me on FF.

...yeah I quit FF a few years ago when updates would permanently break plugins and extensions including very useful ones like one which was sort of like an "undo" command that allowed you to restore text you accidentally deleted while in a forum or on social media edit window..  

As to missing avatars and buttons on the forum edit window, not experiencing any of that happening (on Chrome). 

Still running W7 so wonder if there is a conflict or bug between third party browsers and Windows OS.  There was that recent printer spooler patch issued (I don't have a printer so I never use it).  Anyone on a Mac experiencing this?

barbult said:

And now I've just had a spate of 502 and 504 gateway errors in the forums.

...I've been getting those for a while as well. and have switched to composing and spell checking posts in Word and then copying them to the edit window.

Post edited by kyoto kid on