Wolfgang 8.1 Reaction thread

Thoughts about Wolfgang?

Comments

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

character looks good, bundle with $60 too expensive. no loyalty discount. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I like the figure. Too expensive. He does kinda look like a resculpted Christian in a way tho.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited July 2021

Everyone remember when we would get 11 items or so in a bundle? With this one we get 7 for $59.27, or whatever discount they are giving on the side. Too expensive. Pass! Nice looking character though.
    Think I will go over to Metropolis Comics and Collectibles and invest in a comic book.

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151
    edited July 2021

Like the figure. But I own literally a gazillion of Gen 8 and DAZ Original bundles and no discount on this dude's bundle whatsoever. Sorry, but no. And additional 20% and some other goodies might make me think. If it stays as it is: pass.

Plus DAZ should optimize the wordings: $10 EACH for the places. Plus how to save up to 80% if the most expensive item in the selection is $39.95? Strange math.

Post edited by Rod Wise Driggo on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Also a shame that the straight, sleek hair shown in the main promo is not in the bundle. It has an actual male hairline for once.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

He's ... interesting. Not sure I need another older character actor, and not hugely interested in more pirate stuff.

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

I like the character, but this has to be the worst deal of all the 8.1 bundles released so far.

• Hey look!

It's pirates! The cycle begins again!

Someday a little variety in themes/genre would be nice...

Other than that, I haven't got used to the new pricing, so I probably wait until it's in sale.

Best regards

• He does look like a good sculpt. A lot of character in that face... but I didn't buy in to this Season Pass.

I mean... I passed on Valentino when he first came out, although I did pick up Sahira.
    It's just not my need in a figure and I have no discounts here, so likely a pass.

If I need to get close in shape, I'll just start from Ollie and/or Dasan, I think.

Bundle looks okay, but it's not really my thing.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

He looks good I like his sculpt and textures but I'm probably not going to get right now because of the price.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

A home run for me, just like Zale before him. Too bad my Daz budget has been severely curtailed.

• sidsid Posts: 399

AllenArt said:

Also a shame that the straight, sleek hair shown in the main promo is not in the bundle. It has an actual male hairline for once.

I do too like that hair. Hopefully something I can recreate with strand-based hair or Blender.

I'm still a sucker for the boys, I'll probably buy him even tho I haven't done anything with Zale yet.

Like the figure very much. Also the hair, the ship and outfits from the bundle. But not willing to spend $60. Will wait for tomorrow's Scullywag bundle but most probably I'll let him sail some more months in peace before engaging in monetary battle.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

I like him - the scarred skin is pretty cool and he can be more than just a pirate.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,031
    There is a banner for Wolfgang:

"You've stocked your library with aquatic-themed bundles, and now's the time to add a pirate into the mix. Enjoy an EXTRA 20% OFF the Wolfgang 8.1 High Seas Bundle."

Presumably referencing the recent Zale merfolk bundles and/or the Sahira and Valentino pirate bundles. Price with banner is $47.42.

Neither the character nor the bundle deal are exciting me. It is cool to see a DO pirate ship - that's overdue.
    Wolfgang_banner.png
    1080 x 1920 - 599K
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

doubledeviant said:

There is a banner for Wolfgang:

"You've stocked your library with aquatic-themed bundles, and now's the time to add a pirate into the mix. Enjoy an EXTRA 20% OFF the Wolfgang 8.1 High Seas Bundle."

Presumably referencing the recent Zale merfolk bundles and/or the Sahira and Valentino pirate bundles. Price with banner is $47.42.

Neither the character nor the bundle deal are exciting me. It is cool to see a DO pirate ship - that's overdue.

I got the first Zale bundle, also having Sahira and Valentino bundle and didn't got any discount 

• Like him and bought him, but purely for the new skin. Skipped the HD add-on. Picked up the corsican raider outfit, but mostly just for the shirt. Popped the platinum coupon on for 6$ off. No longer interested in bundles, and yes, that will proabbly mean no more banners, but I am less and less interested in the few content items that you do get. Less items, more expensive. The only thing I would be remotely interested in is a Build-Your-Own-Bundle after the 2 or 3 successive bundle offers appear for a new character launch. Even if you could pick one item from different categories, it would be much more appealing. 

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

Definitely not for Valentino/Sahira, I have those and all the other pirate theme bundles except some bits of Skull Island Bundle (which isn't part of the bundles sale today, strangely enough - could have been a good opportunity to complete that one). Must be a combo of fishfolk stuff released lately.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    sid said:

AllenArt said:

I do too like that hair. Hopefully something I can recreate with strand-based hair or Blender.

I'm still a sucker for the boys, I'll probably buy him even tho I haven't done anything with Zale yet.

I could have sworn I've seen that hair before, but I looked a bit in the store and was unable to track it down. :(
  • James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008

I used to buy a lot of bundles, but Daz has moved on. Pirates not my thing, so too expensive. Looks reasonable. Does the ship include below deck? Quyite like the hair at first look, but not going to look forther.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    He reminds me of a car mechanic I know. I probably wouldn't use Wolfgang as a pirate because of this. Had a similar reaction to Sydney, who reminded me of a lady that goes to my church, so I don't use Sydney as a biker gal at all. XD
  • AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

If the file list of the readme page gives any clues, I would assume no.

I guess that the gun hatches do not even have morphs to pull the cannons inside and close the hatches.

However, we should keep in mind it is only a DO asset for $22.95, and for that, it really looks stunning.

• bjoernb78bjoernb78 Posts: 135

In my opinion a season pass isn't worth it, if you usually buy pro bundles.

Content of the bundle is good, but it's overall too expesive. I'll wait for a better deal.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

Nice character (with a not so nice looking body) and a nice bundle, and I don't know if it is really too expensive. The ship looks great!

But now I think we have more than enough elderly men. I don't know if all the pretty young Daz ladies really dream of men who could be their (grand)fathers... In my youth, I didn't.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

Just posted this in the Sword and Sorcery contest but figured it's relevant here too (as we have no renders yet) - This is Wolfgang 8.1 with a little (about 25%) of Collossus HD's body to give him some muscle. Used the scarred skin texture. Not a pirate but more a Conan-esque barbarian in this case...

^Click for bigger

ioonrxoon said:

Definitely not for Valentino/Sahira, I have those and all the other pirate theme bundles except some bits of Skull Island Bundle (which isn't part of the bundles sale today, strangely enough - could have been a good opportunity to complete that one). Must be a combo of fishfolk stuff released lately.

You should take a look on the "Return to Treasure Island Bundle". Think this was also not listed but I put it in the cart anyhow. Got it for $1.91 having only one product (a texture) missing. In any case the RoTIB does contain all products from the Skull Island Bundle IMO so you might be able to complete your bundle that way.

By the way: Why name that pirate Wolfgang? Was there any famous pirate with that name? If using a German name, why not name hin "Klaus" (Störtebecker)?

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

Another case of "looks fantastic, but probably not for me."

His skin looks great and his face looks like it would mix well with other morphs in small doses to give them a little grit.

His body is not for me - I do like them brawny and underwear-model-esque, I will not lie - but we have plenty of those already and this adds something a little different, which is great!

Not interested in pirate stuff but Redz' hair looks pretty good, might get that.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

Rod Wise Driggo said:

By the way: Why name that pirate Wolfgang? Was there any famous pirate with that name? If using a German name, why not name hin "Klaus" (Störtebecker)?

I was wondering about the name as well. I kind of expected some Teutonic dude. Not that it really matters in the end.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

What we definately we need the near future are Egyptian Cowboy Pirates...

• sidsid Posts: 399
    edited July 2021

I do like him. Some test renders and comparisons before I go to bed. No HD.

^Next to Valentino who is wearing someone else's eyebrows

^'Elderly men'... pfft, y'all 12? :)

^Holt standing next to Wolfgang, with Wolfgang styled tall, dark and handsome to age him down a smidge.

I've really, really enjoyed the textures on the last few 8.1 releases: Zale, Catty and Wolfgang. (Jada and Torment also nice, but more even than I would like).

wolfgangtest1.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 647K
    wolfgangtest2.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 1M
    wolfgangtest3.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    wolfgangtest4.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    wolfgangtest5.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    Post edited by sid on