Changing Displacement Parameters over Timeline

Hello!

I have a question, and I'm anticipating there may be an easy answer but I cannot find it.  I'm trying to make an animation in DAZ Studio where a displacement map is added (or perhaps already there but zeroed out) and slowly the strength increases over the course of about 20 seconds or so.

An example:  Like if I wanted to "age" a person with wrinkles and stuff using displacement over a few seconds.

Is it possible to do this?  I have already tried adding the displacement map to the character, keying out 3 keyframes over 30 frames, and then in the middle keyframe adjusting the displacement strength in the surface properties.  They don't seem to save to a specific frame, so I'm a little lost.

I Googled, and saw things about animating textures, and I bought that plugin, but I don't think this is exactly right...  anybody know?

Comments

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902

I don't think you can, maybe someone knows something I don't about that, but what you could do since you're animating it anyways is render out your timeline with the displacement at 0 and then render it out again with the displacement set all the way up, and maybe one at halfway for good measure. Then in your editing software just layer the tracks on top of each other and the displacement all the way up layer keyframe to go from 0% opacity to 100% (or do it halfway if you do a pass with the displacement at 50% but I don't think you need it). It should do exactly what you're looking to do, that's how they used to do it years ago with like the Wolfman and such, they'd just dissolve the shots into each other.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

... well nobody who can post without approval angry

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Casual has a script

AH Wendy, thank you!  I literally just found this and was about to come here to post the link to see if anybody had tried it!

I think this will be perfect (or PURRFICT, in honor of your catz).  If I'm understanding this correctly, I should be able to just adjust the displacement value over time.  THanks!

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

benniewoodell said:

I don't think you can, maybe someone knows something I don't about that, but what you could do since you're animating it anyways is render out your timeline with the displacement at 0 and then render it out again with the displacement set all the way up, and maybe one at halfway for good measure. Then in your editing software just layer the tracks on top of each other and the displacement all the way up layer keyframe to go from 0% opacity to 100% (or do it halfway if you do a pass with the displacement at 50% but I don't think you need it). It should do exactly what you're looking to do, that's how they used to do it years ago with like the Wolfman and such, they'd just dissolve the shots into each other.  

THank you for your reply!  I was starting to think along the same lines of you, actually, when I was starting to give up that there was a technical solution.   I think this would have worked, although I would have had to learn how to do it.  I'll keep the idea in my back pocket for the next time I need to do something weird like this haha!

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902

This is awesome that there's a script for it! 

And no problem, it's really easy to do if you ever find yourself needing to do it. If you can keyframe an animation in Daz, you can set two opacity keyframes in any editing software :) 

Good luck!