More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

mdk1960 said:

Still working on producing a nice, clean illustrative style. So, more troubleshooting and experiment.

all your illustartions are wonderful - love the styles. Pity they are not a little bigger in your posts.

edited September 2021

We've been in lockdown for a month - another three weeks to go gah gah gah gah. Lots of inspiiration here.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,743

Headwax said:

Artini said:

Example renders with Sakura 8 and different LUTs (Look Up Table) in Beautify 2 in Unity.

wow this first one hits the spot!

Thanks a lot.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,743
    edited September 2021

Another try with toons in Unity.

Toons021.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 789K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

An in-joke between a friend and I.

Trying to work on making IRAY renders into NPRs. Its still a bit janky.

edited September 2021

This one is a happy accident. I managed upon some kind of magical settings while playing with Iray and a shader set I bought a while back. its all in-studio too.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,108

That's probably my favorite of the ones you've posted so far, but to be honest, they all have a blurry look to them that I find off-putting.

edited September 2021

Blur hides the graininess. I don't have that powerful of a video card to work with, and I dont' feel like dedicating a whole hour to a test render, Its a trade off I'll just have to live with. Especially at the price decent graphics cards are going for.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • First attempt at posting on the forums! Throwing my hat in the ring for stylized renders :) This is Seana. She is 50% Bette 8 (body & head), 25% Emmy Lou (body & head), and 25% Stylized 21 (body & head). Used some morphs on her booty. Clothing and hair are Daz assets. Clothing was simulated in Marvelous Designer. Hair simulated via Dforce. Rendered in Daz IRay. Postwork in Photoshop with help from Nik Collection, Topaz Adjust and Topaz Studio. I made some mistakes I will correct next time. Learned a lot from these forums. Happy to share my methods :P

seana.jpg
    940 x 1240 - 439K

Looks very nice!

•  Thanks, vrba79! :) I really like the effect you got in your hair in your last two renders. Hair was/is a struggle point for me since I am   using hair intended for photorealism. Your effect reminds me of the approach I was exploring for a while where I used the bloom   filter enabled. Is that one of your magic settings? ^_^ I found I could dial that filter in for the hair but I needed to render the hair   separately via a beauty pass in Canvases so I could use different settings for the rest of it. I'm super curious what shader you're   using for your hair as well. I'm currently using two shaders a slot for my figure, hair, and clothing. Iray-Resource Saver and some   Ceramic shader on a Matte setting. I usually let them replace the maps and then manually drop the opacity maps back in. Helps a   lot with render speed!

Another render of Seana with a little different camera angle. Tweaked eye positions and gave a subtle smile. Not sure what I was going with for the hair, but I rolled with it haha

seana2.jpg
    820 x 1237 - 563K
    edited September 2021

At present, its a WIP I've Frankenstein'd together from different bits.

Post edited by vrba79 on

That said, its crap on darker skinned characters. The skin tone just comes out too flat looking, so I'm probably just gonna stick with my Pwtoon/Postwork method until I can sort something out in Iray.

When I can get something that looks like this in Iray, I'll make the switch for good, but until then, Iray is just an experiment for me.

• Cool renders and experiments  @vrba79  @artini and especially @mdk1960 , your last image really top knotch!

I wanna talk about hairs , which hair you prefer easy to work when doing NPR ? The reason I`m ask because I`ve seen so many Blender and ZBrush toon/anime and stylized scuplting lately and noticing that most of their hair model seem perfect matches with the styles  .

And for curious reason I`ve also doing some manual tracing those hairs in Affinity Designer to mashup the render and solid Vector works  , and you know what... those hairs simple works !! Not sure its all about Geometry shape or something elses

• Changed my approach a bit. and added an actual background. Final Fantasy 7 themed. Same 'Seana' Character.

@juvesatriani

The majority if hair is equaly difficult to work with. No real preferences here as the same work arounds apply to all. I ht them with an iray cermaic shader on matte setting and it removes the maps. I then add back in the opacity maps. Everything else is postwork. Obviously the ideal is gemotry based hair that's scultped to be stylized in Zbrush or the like. I don't have those for Gen 8 handy though! I have gone the vector route. That can work, but I can achieve a look I like even quicker with Photoshop + Nik and Topaz.

EUlehpeUwAAxHqV.jpg
    1658 x 1620 - 1M
    edited September 2021

I have a secret weapon for my hair. It comes with both 3DL and Iray versions. Its perfect for both PR and NPR rendering. Works on ANY hair too.

https://www.daz3d.com/dg-toon-style-hair-shaders

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Anime Eyes going on clearance for $2 grab it while you can.

https://www.daz3d.com/awesome-anime-eyes-genesis-3-female

• My attempt

Vertex Doctor - Non photo realistic sep182021.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

The Vertex Doctor said:

My attempt

Cool that looks like the art style of the first computerized comic book from the 80' "Shatter

• Cartoon-y test for a crowd scene

DAHELL-test1.jpg
    1176 x 1732 - 2M
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited September 2021

mdk1960 said:

Cartoon-y test for a crowd scene

Love your style !!

@vrba79 , I`m just doing experiment with Sakura eyes , and since they also have 3delight version and I believe you work in Anime Styles,  I think they will suit your  need . Here example straight render from DAZ and pwToon plus Sakura eyes ( no Postwork)

g8 Plus Sakura eyes

Sakua.png
    994 x 893 - 892K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • juvesatriani asked about camera-matching, between DAZ and Poser. There's this free script, which works with free camera-matching software:

"mcjExportCameraToPZ3 is a script for Daz Studio 1, 2, 3 and 4, It lets you export an animated Daz Studio camera (including animated focal length) as a PZ3 (Poser scene file) which can then be used in Carrara or Poser."

edited September 2021

Sakura has a neat look to her, but she doesn't blend well with other facial morphs that affect the eye area, due to her specialized eyeballs, so I tend to avoid using her most of the time. There's a female G8F Aiko-style figure on Renderosity I recommend instead called Tahiza. The best part is she has a male counterpart named Tidazo. Got them as a bundle, and they blend well with everything. Lately Renderosity has been delivering the content I really want, but just can't find here. Unfortunatrely their materials don't suit my needs as they're Iray only, and not everything(like eye reflections) make the move over the 3DL.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • To control for mesh sizes, I use the old greeble city models, and even use more gen3 and older models to cut things back. I found this nice free model hover bike by an artist/hobbyist going by the name taktelon at sketchfab so had to try it out in a pic.

CYBER-TEN22-SA-1-SM.jpg
    2352 x 922 - 2M

Really like how that looks!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited September 2021

I haven't done a lot in the way of 3D renders over the last 18 months but I'm starting get back into Daz Studio and I'm learning everything again. I bought JeffersonAF's My Shaders when they first came out. Been playing with older models with them. This is one of Aiko 6 rendered in iray with the new shaders and then post work done using PhotoShop and Topaz Studio 2. There's a bigger version image in my artwork thread and I've linked the products used in my gallery. I think I also used Awsome Anime Eyes but I'm not sure. 

Image of Aiko 6 and the Bots

Aiko-6-My-Shaders-WEB-small.jpg
    1385 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by Mollytabby on

very nice renders all,

here's two of mine - originally from 2012 circa but reworked with what I've learnt in this thread

Carrara render passes worked up in post

Red Riding Hood and The Sky Is Falling 

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Headwax, those images are stunning. Absolutely beautiful artwork. I love the colour tones.

edited September 2021

Mollytabby said:

Headwax, those images are stunning. Absolutely beautiful artwork. I love the colour tones.

I must agree @ Headwax, your work is awesome. thanks for sharing. 

Post edited by Tugpsx on