More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2021

[Deleted]

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited October 2021
    [Deleted]
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited October 2021

Oh bump maps are complety off. I'm still investigating why the jean texture looks like that when rendered with the shader.

Edit: I think I fixed the problem fidgeting with the shader settings. Still might not be to your taste, but I'm pleased with the result.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited October 2021

vrba79 said:

Oh bump maps are complety off. I'm still investigating why the jean texture looks like that when rendered with the shader.

Edit: I think I fixed the problem fidgeting with the shader settings. Still might not be to your taste, but I'm pleased with the result.

This looks better. Good luck with what you're doing.

Thanks! DzDefault's toon shader is a lot better than most people realize, and I intend to document my techniques once I have them refined enough for public consumption.

• csaacsaa Posts: 805

I don't know if this approximates a manga-style illustration. The color scheme comes from a mecha anime I watched some while back -- Mazinger Z if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers!

G8M figures. Blender cel shading and render. Post editing in Clip Studio Paint.

• @csaa thank for Blender material library info . Cool render too !!

@vrba78 Great example from DAZ default toon shader use !! 

edited October 2021

Thanks. The only thing I'm not applying the shader to in that pic is the hair, which I use DG's toon hair shaders on instead.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited October 2021

@juvesatriani,

Thanks! Here's omething I worked on recently, tyring out a noir style of lighting and cel shading in Blender. It's sort of Hellboy-ish, but monochrome! wink

The two G8F figures, the stool and the tree came from DAZ. I applied the night sky background using CSP. With coloring out of the way,

it's easier to think about the image as a whole -- it's mood and message.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

@csaa thank for Blender material library info . Cool render too !!

@vrba78 Great example from DAZ default toon shader use !! 

Post edited by csaa on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited October 2021

Space Doll pwToon Multipass

Just wondering , if possible to animate motion FX in Photoshop ? Meanwhile here my pwToon Multipass edit in Photoshop 

SpaceDoll.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 146K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on

@juvesatriani,

Interesting image! You may have to use After Effects - https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-add-motion-blur-effects-to-cartoon-animation-using-after-effects--cms-38034 - for the animated motion blur that you want.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

Just wondering , if possible to animate motion FX in Photoshop ? Meanwhile here my pwToon Multipass edit in Photoshop 

• csaa said:

@juvesatriani,

Interesting image! You may have to use After Effects - https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-add-motion-blur-effects-to-cartoon-animation-using-after-effects--cms-38034 - for the animated motion blur that you want.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

Thanks for the link , Actually I `ve already familiar with AE because my daily job for last 5 years is/in ARCHVIZ . Dont know why ? but lately  I seem just wanna simple solution with everything  LOL 

edited October 2021

@juvesatriani,

Simplicity in life. Yearning for that is a sign of creeping maturity, my friend! laugh

I think we tend to look for patterns as we grow older, that's why we clear away the distractions and try to aim for the essentials.

As a photographer I knew once said, it's easier to think about composition and emotion when photographing in black and white.

Master that first, he adviced -- master setting the underlying bone structure --  and once you move on to color -- overlaying the flesh --

the images will come out wonderfully.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

Thanks for the link , Actually I `ve already familiar with AE because my daily job for last 5 years is/in ARCHVIZ . Dont know why ? but lately  I seem just wanna simple solution with everything  LOL 

Post edited by csaa on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited October 2021

juvesatriani  You have an awesome DeviantArt collection. Your style certainly is represented in your artwork. Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks with the community.

Looking forward to many more. smiley

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

juvesatriani said:

Space Doll pwToon Multipass

Very cool!

edited October 2021

Thanks @csaa @tugpsx @Hylas for nice support and words .

The truth is I wanna to keep explore what I can do with NPR styles and find balance berween which one suit my personal need better and new stuff I need to learn.

Thanks god , we have this thread so we can learn and trying improve our preferred worklow from each other

Have fun and keep your NPR soul happy :)

edited October 2021

Old Rockstar pwToon

Toon FX created using my freebie JS Stylized ( pwToon Preset) . Then Bring to PShop to overlay the Strap + BG and Texts

Second Image pwToon render and get total treatment in Photoshop

OldDude.jpg
    1074 x 1271 - 700K
    New Old Dude.jpg
    2147 x 2541 - 5M
  • mdk1960mdk1960 Posts: 37

Nice work. Really solid! 

juvesatriani said:

Old Rockstar pwToon

Toon FX created using my freebie JS Stylized ( pwToon Preset) . Then Bring to PShop to overlay the Strap + BG and Texts

edited October 2021

juvesatriani said:

Old Rockstar pwToon

Really love how that turned out. Gonna have to break down and give your presets a try. I love trying to figure out stuff myself, but these are just too good not to try. Probably gonna be tomorrow evening before I get a chance to play with it though. Work and all that other boring IRL stuff to contend with and all.

Post edited by vrba79 on

@juvesatriani,

Great work! The shader captured the texture and the lighting quite nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers! 

juvesatriani said:

Old Rockstar pwToon

edited October 2021

So that's the secret sauce! Never would have occoured to me to fidget with the Rim settings to get an effect like that. You're damned clever for working that out!

Post edited by vrba79 on

Sometimes this is how I feel like while waiting for my render to complete ...

"Pondering Weighty Matters." Daz assets. Blender cel shading and Evee render. Photoshop post-processing.

edited October 2021

Thanks for nice words guys ! Thats encourage me to explore further .

@csaa love it what you`re doing with your style , especially the last one . Remind me about Minimalism Trend in web design .  Maybe you find your market in there ;)

@vrba79 , yeah I think  thats one of many pwToon perks .Those RIM LIGHT workaround idea actually came after I`ve seen lots of Digital Comic Coloring Tutorials

The way how they`d created  nice overlay/secondary color FX in top of simple shading object inspire me to experiment with  those RIM setting . Same goes happen with the light presets 

I know I`m not 3D Shader or Material and Lighting expert in term of technical stand point , so getting ideas from outside of 3D world and try to mimicking those steps into 3D is what I mostly did.

Sometimes it will break the rules but since NPR is About Breaking almost standard 3D rules , so I have no problem with that LOL . My Blender EEVEE Multipass method also one of samples how I Breaking the rules as long I can get result just like I want :)

Thanks again guys for nice words. Keep your NPR`s soul Happy !

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

By reading through some of these threads and Vrba79s thread I decided to give this a go.  Not really my normal type of art but Im very pleased with the results so a big Thank You to those contributing and providing tips, tricks and tutorials.

And excellent renders everyone!

BetteToon1020211.jpg
    867 x 1285 - 701K
    BetteToon102021.jpg
    1441 x 1285 - 945K
    edited October 2021

@Daventaki great style and image .  I hope this thread will be one of many reasons DAZ didnt ditch 3Delight in future version . And Maybe they`ll adding more Non Photo Realistic options for us ( Real Time OUTLINE like in Poser Comic Book Preview etc) :)

edited October 2021

juvesatriani said:

I know I`m not 3D Shader or Material and Lighting expert in term of technical stand point , so getting ideas from outside of 3D world and try to mimicking those steps into 3D is what I mostly did.

Sometimes it will break the rules but since NPR is About Breaking almost standard 3D rules , so I have no problem with that LOL . My Blender EEVEE Multipass method also one of samples how I Breaking the rules as long I can get result just like I want :

@juvesatriani,

There's something to be said about different approaches to NPR. All rivers lead to the same ocean, the saying goes. Somehow there's a common visual grammar we all follow. We all combine the same building blocks such as line, color, lighting, etc to communicate our intent. But because each one has a unique perspective -- the result of different experiences and cultural background -- we communicate the same idea, feeling, situation or symbol differently. It's certainly useful, as you say, to tap into other art fields for inspiration. After all, the tools we use (PWToon, Blender, etc.) are just tools. Without a motivating vision, these tools, sophisticated as they are, can't produce the outcome we aim for. To this end other genres are a great source for nurturing our unique vision.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
    edited October 2021

Js Flat Demo and Universal Setting

Guys , right now I`m building new preset for pwToon as alternative for my complicated Multipass technique . That will be for anime or cel shading style . And since this only one pass ,thats possible to make Video or animation with it .  I`ll be releasing next week after ironing some quirk and make sure to finish the guide . 

For Now , check this setting if you wanna get same style .  This is same style I`ve been used in  this Looping video 

EDIT: In sample image All line created using free GEOSHELL Outline

Have fun

JsFlat Quick.jpg
    1675 x 974 - 730K

@juvesatrani,

Bravo! Looking forward to what folks will create using it.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

Guys , right now I`m building new preset for pwToon as alternative for my complicated Multipass technique . That will be for anime or cel shading style . And since this only one pass ,thats possible to make Video or animation with it .  I`ll be releasing next week after ironing some quirk and make sure to finish the guide . 

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

That looks amazing @juvesatrani smiley

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

csaa said:

Sometimes this is how I feel like while waiting for my render to complete ...

"Pondering Weighty Matters." Daz assets. Blender cel shading and Evee render. Photoshop post-processing.

Very cool, looks like a retro illustration!