You Want Realism Daz March 13 2022

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,269
edited March 2022 in The Commons

I was originally going to post this in my coffee break thread, however, since this is so specific, I thought better to have it's own thread.

Many people have commented on wanting realism when using Daz, mostly in regards to my complaint about insisting you need the newest, most powerful and usually quite expensive computer, graphics card and massive amounts of ram.

This time around, I am catering to those who strive for realism. Many vendors, free and paid for, have created some exceptional products in this regards. So to help further this, I give you links that show what something looks like in realife, if you intend to make your product as real as possible.

My first offering relates to Kimono's, however this person lives in Kyoto Japan and also discusses and shows many aspects of Japanese culture, both old and new, on his channel, so definitely worth a look through. Yes he speaks english and rather well.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

Comments

• A new challenge for those who create for dforce....

This ballet outfit has a skirt with multi layers, so of course I would like to be able to have something like this for Daz or any program that uses dynamic. The hard part is doing this for Daz and not have it explode when posing or animating.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2021

Speaking of realism, I want to list out some of my favourite PA products allowing lazy guys to just load the character and click render and have very decent results:

ironman13: Executive Office, Newsroom, Dean's Office, Doctor's Office, Therapist's Office, Productivity Area, New Addition Living, Tire Shop, Clothing Boutique, Eclectic Style, Living In Style, On My Own

1st Bastian: Public Restrooms Ubiquitous Interiors, After School Detention

Dreamlight: Amanda Mai Luxury Office

Polypusher: Executive's Pool House

Post edited by CHWT on

I was originally going to post this in my coffee break thread, however, since this is so specific, I thought better to have it's own thread.

Many people have commented on wanting realism when using Daz, mostly in regards to my complaint about insisting you need the newest, most powerful and usually quite expensive computer, graphics card and massive amounts of ram.

This time around, I am catering to those who strive for realism. Many vendors, free and paid for, have created some exceptional products in this regards. So to help further this, I give you links that show what something looks like in realife, if you intend to make your product as real as possible.

My first offering relates to Kimono's, however this person lives in Kyoto Japan and also discusses and shows many aspects of Japanese culture, both old and new, on his channel, so definitely worth a look through. Yes he speaks english and rather well.

Yes we need a good reference for kimonos. To my understanding Japanese women never cover the back of their necks with the kimono, and I think that's one of the factors to determining whether a 3D kimono looks realistic or not.
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited September 2021

KHImage studios have one the most anatomically correct bend morphs for the Genesis figures, others are more idolized representations...

The sad/infuriating thing is that this amazing artist/PA most likely quit making their product due to consumer lack of interest, well at least I can expand on their work as a template with my own!

...Daz should hire them to make Genesis 9! smiley

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

takezo_3001 said:

KHImage studios have one the most anatomically correct bend morphs for the Genesis figures, others are more idolized representations...

The sad/infuriating thing is that this amazing artist/PA most likely quit making their product due to consumer lack of interest, well at least I can expand on their work as a template with my own!

...Daz should hire them to make Genesis 9! smiley

Thanks for pointing those out. The masin image is sort of contorted so I completely overlooked it.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,269

Might we finally have true holograms. Not sure if the information in this video can help with the 3D creation of holograms, in either case, this is pretty interesting news.

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited October 2021

In my experience with Daz, realism is possible...under certain situations. It's a mix of lighting, character modeling, skinning, lighting, environment, lighting, and natural posing...and lighting. And not EVERYTHING is best just from Daz, I use a lot of stuff from from 3rd party sources, especially architecture and lately using photogammetry scans and sewing that into my scenes. The models I use now the skin is actually real human scanned skin, not an artists photoshop idea of the perfect skin. I mix that with the best specular maps and then am consistent with those and especially skin tone shading between characters. If you just rely on loading model A from this artist, and B from that artist into a scene, they won't match, they won't look good, they won't pass as real because every PA has their own style and shader setups. Then there is hair, that is it's own beast.

For your ballet, there is dForce Urban Ballerina Textures | Daz 3D and there are several others. But your question was about dforce, well to be honest Dforce doesn't always get you the look you actually want. There are other ways to achieve the desired look with existing assets, such as porting the dress over to Blender and sculpting it. I usually port first the actor in pose and then the article of clothing I want to edit (don't do them together, make them 2 different pieces.) There in sculpt mode you have precision editing tools and are not at the whim of how dforce will behave.

Post edited by charles on
  • charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited February 2022

According to this video, White Day is the Japanese version of Valentines and happens a month after the one many of us are familiar with. With that in mind, some of you might want to create something for the Japanese version. Watch the whole video to learn how Japan celebrate the two special days. There is also a 3rd day, Orange Day and there are others mentioned in the video.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
    Wow, I never knew there is an Orange Day! We learn something new each day.
  • For those who create environments (yes Stonemason has exceptional environments and love his work) and need some references for Japan, this channel is people who walks all over the country, to different cities, towns and villages, showing you all Japan has to offer, also show you some of the cultural things they do through out the year.

https://www.youtube.com/c/VIRTUALJAPAN/videos

• A new trend for modern Kimono's that might be of interest.

A lot of people seem to work hard when it comes to Kimono's for women, though not a lot about men, so this video is a good start to learn about that.

How about creating a place for a photoshoot for someone in the Japanese style. This video can give a good start on that subject and you can do further research of different places that do this

This is very informative if going for realism of the Geisha, Geiko, and Maiko, this video explains some of the differences.

Of course the information in these video's is just a basis to work from, more research will ultimately give you more to work from.

I stumbled across this video today and thought, what better way to exemplify realism in clothes than to use actual photo's from the time era. In this video, you will see what clothes styles and hair styles were like on men, women and children, from around the world in the the early 1840's.

Check out his entire channel and see both pictures and film of people over a 100 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebopsam1975/videos

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Faeryl Womyn said:

I stumbled across this video today and thought, what better way to exemplify realism in clothes than to use actual photo's from the time era. In this video, you will see what clothes styles and hair styles were like on men, women and children, from around the world in the the early 1840's.

Check out his entire channel and see both pictures and film of people over a 100 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebopsam1975/videos

very interesting, thanks

Came across this, more really old photo's

Very good information in this video