Windows 11 and Daz Studio

I wonder if anyone here is running Windows 11 and can tell us if Daz Studio is working fine?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

There have been several members successively using Daz Studio in Windows 11

• Smooth as usual. I'm using it right now, on Win11 (upgrading win10)

Happy it was not broken :)

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

frank0314 said:

There have been several members successively using Daz Studio in Windows 11

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I shall upgrade from Windows 10  to 11 later tonight. 

Renderwarrior said:

Smooth as usual. I'm using it right now, on Win11 (upgrading win10)

Happy it was not broken :)

Oh, that is so good to hear. I am eager to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 :) 

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153

When using windows 11 with an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU i would recommend to wait.

Upgraded my second system to Windows 11 (with an AMD Ryzen CPU). DAZ worked fine. However the perfomance slowdown in general was very noticable (and annoying) and rolled it back to Windows 10.

From what i understand AMD and Microsoft are working on a fix (expected some where in october)

• RenderwarriorRenderwarrior Posts: 14
    edited October 2021

jerham said:

When using windows 11 with an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU i would recommend to wait.

Upgraded my second system to Windows 11 (with an AMD Ryzen CPU). DAZ worked fine. However the perfomance slowdown in general was very noticable (and annoying) and rolled it back to Windows 10.

From what i understand AMD and Microsoft are working on a fix (expected some where in october)

It's seems a bug between Win11 and AMD. For what I've heard, they're working on a fix together (ops... you already told it LOOL)

Post edited by Renderwarrior on
  • LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

So far I'm having no issues. Started using Win 11 a little over a week before official release and have noticed no issues so far and I do a lot of PC gaming. I only have a Nvidia 1080 and have yet to try Daz Studio though. I'm stuck with that for the forseeable future due to upgrade cost and lack of actual graphics cards on the market.

Happy to hear all these positive answers :)

• Peter_DAPeter_DA Posts: 47
    edited October 2021

I've been running Windows 11 for two days and so far everything is working quite well. The problem was upgrading Windows 10 which didn't work. I had to set up Windows 11 from scratch. DAZ Studio is running great.

Post edited by Peter_DA on

I updated to Windows 11 yesterday.

I needed a new motherboard first.

Daz Studio runs fine for me too.

• faibolxfaibolx Posts: 71
    edited October 2021

I don't know if anybody else noticed this but, on Window 10 looking at the task manager GPU usage is around 5-6 % while on Windows 11 it's 99%. I think this is interesting because why the system would only use a small percentage on Win 10.

Rendering times are same as usual. Everything else goes smooth and fast.

My rig

Ryzen 5 5600x 3.7Ghz at 4.2Ghz

Zotac RTX 3060 twin Edge 12 Gb

16 Gb Ram 3200 Mhz

M.2 nvme 480 Gb + 2 Tb HDD

Post edited by faibolx on
  • faibolx said:

I don't know if anybody else noticed this but, on Window 10 looking at the task manager GPU usage is around 5-6 % while on Windows 11 it's 99%. I think this is interesting because why the system would only use a small percentage on Win 10.

Rendering times are same as usual. Everything else goes smooth and fast.

My rig

Ryzen 5 5600x 3.7Ghz at 4.2Ghz

Zotac RTX 3060 twin Edge 12 Gb

16 Gb Ram 3200 Mhz

M.2 nvme 480 Gb + 2 Tb HDD

The Windows 10 Task Manager dosn't show CUDA activity in the main view - you can set one of the perfomance tab graphs to show it, or add a column in the Details tab. It sounds as if they have tweaked the algorithm for deciding usage values in Windows 11.

• SaintSaint Posts: 59

I've noticed a lot more CPU fallback since upgrading to Windows 11, it really sucks, but my only complaint otherwise with the OS.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570

...does it's WDDM still take a major chink of VRAM like 10

Far as I can tell the difference in VRAM consumption is trivial at best. I rolled back to Windows 10 and all's well and good now. Would be curious to know if anyone else experienced similar issues on Windows 11 (lag going into Iray for previews or renders, increased CPU fallback).

...still on 7Pro here looking to make the jump straight to 11.

Which GPU do you have and which verson of Daz are you using?

A very modest 2060, and I'm running 4.15.0.30 currently. Probably try again next year whenever Version 5 is released.

..wonder if it is a conflict with the driver and W11 as the OS is still fairly new. . Whiich driver are you using?

Trying to get a 3060 working on my older W7 rig but so far all I an get is a standard VGA feed on just one of the two displays. Running with driver 472.39.  

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

I have a 3090 and found that I was getting a lot of freezes/crash to desktop with the Nvidia Game Ready drivers. Things seem to be a lot better now with the Studio drivers and disabling 'Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling' (which the Windows 11 update seemed to have re-enabled).

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406

Following since I'm getting a new computer soon, I'm still on Win7 atm going to Win11. On the downside I'll have to wait for my 3070+ when they don't ask rediculous prices +2000 euros

edited November 2021

...doing the same, upgrading my rendering system for W11 (currently on W7). Was fortunate to pick up an RTX 3060 12 GB at a very reasonable price direct form the manufacturer (EVGA). As I mentioned above, it doesn't seem to like to talking to my old PT-6 X58 MB so just holding on to it until I make the hardware upgrade.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited November 2021

There was a time when I would upgrade my PC every two years. That was when I was working and had a steady income. Now I have to raid my dwindling savings so the last two upgrades have been 5 years apart (each) and I've had welcome help from family. The prices of GPU hardware is now frightening and I can't see how I will be able to upgrade for a long, long time. Thankfully that family generosity stretched to a 3090 so I may not need to.

Not sure I want to go to Windows 11 yet - maybe in a year or so.

Post edited by marble on
    edited November 2021

..as i've mentioned elsewhere, better to deal with one learning curve than two (W7 to W11).  Will really miss 7, so simple, reliable, unobtrusive, and elegant  They just don't make OS's like they used to anymore.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Have been using Windows 11 for a couple of weeks, I waited for the fixes for AMD.

It needed a new BIOS, new motherboard drivers and a couple of Windows updates.
    No problems to report. Some improved HDR handling.

All this coincided with a new Studio Beta, which had noticeably slower benchmark results and no longer loads the test scene correctly, but it looks like that's nothing to Windows 11.

Had some crashes caused by me pushing the GPU overclock that little bit more.

Tried switching off the 'GPU Hardware Scheduling', it made no difference so I leave it enabled.

It looks like the 3060 is not as sensitive as the 3090 with the various driver issues!

edited November 2021

...OK still doing some research on the W11 upgrade as I discovered there was an issue with the Ryzen 5900X and all 450, 550, and 750 AMD chipset AM4 MBs regarding the BIOS version (really not into messing with upgrading that). Also most of the CPU coolers I looked at required a special mounting bracket for the CPU hat doesn't come with the cooler unit and had to be purcahsed seperately. So looked at what I could cobble together on an Intel.build.

Ended up with the following:

• CPU:  Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor:  $418.48
    • CPU Cooler:  ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler:  $49.99
    • Motherboard:  MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard $209.99
    • Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory :  $204.99
    • Storage  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $64.98

TotalCost: 948.43$ so pretty much in the same ballpark of the AMD build

The two caveats are the motherbaord and memory. I tend to prefer ASUS for the MB as well as GSkill or Corsair for system memory, but many of the LGA 1700 MBs were out of the park price wise (500$ - 800$) and the i7 12700K only supports DDR4 3200 through DDR4 4800 with the prices for my two preferred suppliers closer to and in excess of 300$ for dual 32 GB sticks.  Also, Intel apparently changed how the core and thread structure is set up in the Alder Lake series as two cores no longer add into the total thread count, So, while the CPU has 12 cores, there are 20 instead of 24 threads. From what I gather those two cores are reserved for certain tasks, so in a sense I'll have a 10 core CPU when it comes to rendering in Carrara and 3D.

It's an AMD 5800X on a B550M motherboard that I updated. Turned out to be a trivial thing and completed without a hitch. Just needed a quick run though the BIOS settings as some things had gone back to the defaults.

It's the same with Windows 11, I'll have to go through it again to shut off some of those 'phone home' features that somehow got turned on again.

I'd stay away from the new Intels till they get a couple of problems sorted out.Those 'energy saving' cores are causing performance problems. Some programs have their main thread end up on one of those cores and everything starts to crawl. The other thing was thermals but I didn't pay much attention to that, I just put that down to business as usual for Intel. LOL

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,457

I went with X299/LGA2066 as none of the chipsets on LGA1200/1700 motherboards impressed and the next gen HEDT is rumored to be still about a year away.
    Now, if I could just find time to prepare for the change and get the update done...

edited November 2021

prixat said:

It's an AMD 5800X on a B550M motherboard that I updated. Turned out to be a trivial thing and completed without a hitch. Just needed a quick run though the BIOS settings as some things had gone back to the defaults.

It's the same with Windows 11, I'll have to go through it again to shut off some of those 'phone home' features that somehow got turned on again.

I'd stay away from the new Intels till they get a couple of problems sorted out.Those 'energy saving' cores are causing performance problems. Some programs have their main thread end up on one of those cores and everything starts to crawl. The other thing was thermals but I didn't pay much attention to that, I just put that down to business as usual for Intel. LOL

...so it didn't require a BIOS update then.  Always a bit apprehensive of that as one misstep and the board is bricked.  

Before updating to the Xeon 5660, I had an i7 930 that pulled 130w TDP base  The CPU cooler is a CoolerMaster GeminII S and never had an overheat issue with it.  The 5900x I first considered has a base TDP of 105w and peaks at 142 w while the i7 12700K starts at 125 w can peak at around 190.  The Arctic 34e is one of the recommended non-water cooled units (not into messing around with water-cooling as it is more expensive and takes away the two top exhaust fans that currently help to vent the case interior).  

I was wondering about those two cores that don't figure into the thread count do, thanks

Going back to the 5900x will let me drop back to DDR4 2666 .(getting what I consider better quality memory for about the same price).  It also gives me a full 24 threads fo rendering in Carrara and 3DL.  Still wondering about the fit of the Arctic cooler to the CPU though given I keep getting a message on PC Part Picker about needing a special mounting bracket. for the 5900x. even  though the CPU fits the standard AM4 socket. Again this seems to be the case with just about every AM4 board I looked at.

One more configuration with a couple slight changes based on reviews that I researched:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  $483.98
    • CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler:  $48.98
    • Motherboard:  ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard: $131.99
    • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 CL18 Memory:  $209.99
    • Storage:  Samsung 980 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive:  $59.99

Total: 934.93$

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Petra said:

I wonder if anyone here is running Windows 11 and can tell us if Daz Studio is working fine?

Windows 11 is a work in progress for Microsoft and Windows 10 is still very much supported by them. Personally if you're not testing Windows 11 right now you may get yourself into hot water upgrading to it at the moment.

edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

...so it didn't require a BIOS update then.  Always a bit apprehensive of that as one misstep and the board is bricked.  

It did need a BIOS upgrade, and new motherboard drivers, and a couple of Windows 11 updates!

No problems at all! laugh

I went with an ASUS motherboard, that might make a difference. Last time I used an ASRock motherboard it was in a system with a Celeron, that was back when ASRock used to be 'cheap and cheerfull'.

AMD went through the same teething pains whenever they made radical changes to the CPU architecture. They had to wait several months for Microsoft to alter Windows Scheduling for example.

Post edited by prixat on