What shader/render is used in new viewport windows?

ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
edited October 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi gang!

Up until now I've always used 1 viewport window to set up my scenes and that was usually enough for me. This time however I noticed that while a posed figure looked decent enough on their own they still looked somewhat out of place within the entire scene. So I started using 2 viewport windows side by side; one using my intended camera view with the Filament render and the other the easier texture shaded setup.

However... I noticed that after I had added this new window it used a shader / texture setting which acted like a mixture between Filament & texture shaded, yet was obviously neither. To make matters more confusing this selection (a ball with a 'stripe' in the middle) is also no where to be found in the drop down menu with presets and once you changed the setting in one of the extra windows then this ball also never comes back again.

See my screenshot...  on the left is Filament, the upper right corner uses the texture shaded setting and the bottom right... I really don't know. Trust me: it's nothing like the texture shaded setting, you can clearly see this when comparing the goblin in the upper and lower right viewports. But it's also nothing like Filament either; demonstrated by the missing backdrop (Iray sphere).

Does anyone know what this setting is and maybe better yet: how you can re-select it after you changed the setting to someting else? It seems like a really useful mixture between quick renders.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me!

(edit: update)

In the mean time I also started looking at the "Aux viewport" pane which I plan to detach & place on my second monitor. I started going over the settings ("F3") when I noticed that in the 'Viewport DrawStyles" section the exact same icon (ball with white 'seperation' in the middle) is used to indicate the texture shaded draw style. However, as demonstrated in my screenshot, the texture shaded setting in the options menu has a completely different icon. Confusing for sure! :)

PS... (offtopic!)

If you ever need a good looking dragon in your renders and you don't fancy using pre-made poses then I can highly recommend "Blue dragon for Daz Dragon 3", this figure is amazing! It poses easily (I even have little issues setting up its wings!) and it looks... the blue/reddish combination and overall looks of this figure... Just look at the screenshot and know that I merely used a pre-made pose. But that majestic look... One of my favorites I'll tell you! Sorry, had to vent a little :)

viewport_windows.jpg
1920 x 1040 - 305K
Post edited by ShelLuser on

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited October 2021

It looks like you've got Filliment going in the big window, that's the icon for cartoon shaded on the top right and texture shaded on the bottom right.  It also looks like none of them are displaying quite the way the should.  I'm going to bet that it's got something to do with having three viewports open at the same time and the fact that Open GL is trying to process two of them simultaneously.  Open GL, is notoriously flaky, but boy is it fast!  It also seems it could be some sort of Open GL / Filliment compatibility issue within DAZ, but I really only guess that because I'm unsure of how stable the implementation of the Filliment renderer is.  I've always found that using it at all seems to hurt iray performance in the same DAZ session so I never use it.  To be clear, this is all just speculation.  Hopefully someone else comes along and we'll both learn something.

(Edited for spelling and grammar I propbably missed some more)

Post edited by Spacious on
  • I'm having a similar issue with Filament switching back to Texture Shaded mode.  Also, observed different icons in Viewport DrawStyle options menu.

Switching the Viewport from Filament (PBR) back to Texture Shaded turns the background black. - Daz 3D Forums