Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited September 2015

Glad y'all like taffy! yes

Horo, your recent terrain is beautiful!

Hansmar, I love coloured blobs!  Very liquidy, smooshy, hot glass! Great work.

Looks like someone (looks around and spots Vivien) has dabbled with Wings and will become addicted! LOL  You did a great job on your model.  Shameless plug: I also have a few Wings 3D videos available if you're interested (https://www.youtube.com/user/fencepost52/videos).

I'm not sure if anyone here enjoys hidden object stereograms, but I'll post one I made yesterday with Bryce and Stereogram Suite (http://indasoftware.com/stereo/).  If there's no interest, I understand and won't post anymore.  Plus, there hard to do and get right, but I love these things! laugh  This particular style is called a Mapped Texture Stereogram and, unlike the random dots or repeating texture types, you are given a clue to what you're looking to find.  For whatever reason, I called this one weirdo.   I've included the regular render too.

WeirdoMTStereogram.jpg
    750 x 750 - 402K
    Weirdo.jpg
    750 x 750 - 300K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited September 2015

Another way to represent depth is to create an animation called a "Wiggle" using frames rendered at different camera angles.  It's not perfect, nothing is, but it doesn't look too bad and doesn't require special glasses, crossing your eyes, putting a spoon in your mouth while standing in the bathroom, or other superhuman measures! yes Here's a Wiggle I created of one of my Bryce renders.

https://app.box.com/s/jigp56ufgtr1fqhn3wrz4x6xd17t93q1

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited September 2015

Art - thank you. The stereogram works very well for me. I had bought the book "Magic Eye" (http://www.magiceye.com/) when it came out and also my daughters loved it. There's a tute how to create them in Photoshop, but it didn't work well for me. I haven't completely understood how the effect is accomplished. The Wiggling is a cool idea, alternately show the view of each eye separately in short sequence. It can be also done by moving the camera a bit horizontal. Never thought it could be done as a repeating animation from two frames. Might give that a try ...

Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,893
    Horo said:

Hansmar - thank you, but I don't understand your question, seems a word is missing. Great colourful abstract.

I was speaking to myself, asking myself why I got two comments, when I wanted to make only one. Not a real question or comment, I think.

And, thanks, of course!

@vivien1 and @mermaid010: thanks so much!

And @vivien1: nice render of that rusty 'thingy'.

• Horo, yes, that's what I did in Bryce. Set a keyframe at time 0.  Moved the camera just a little horizontally. Set a keyframe at 1 sec. and rendered 4 frames for this particular animation.  2 images will work fine. The more you use, the smoother the animation, but at the cost of render time.  Glad you got the stereogram to work.  I love them too.  I manually created some in GIMP using repeating textures and the displacement tool, but when you do it that way, the result often creates unwanted "ghosting artifacts".  Creating them with algorithms helps clean up the artifacts.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2015

Mermaid - cloud around the mountains... right, thank you.  With this topic I am happy to accept more feedback.  Even though I live by the sea, I find it one of the most tricky topics.  The look of the sea, The North Sea, here can vary so much, due to the shallow beach it is often quite opaque, but even still some light gets into the surface and that is one of the most challenging aspects to capture.  And also, being a flat coastline, the view of the sea is almost always shallow so the reflection of the sky plays a prominent role, indeed on rare occasions the sea blends so exactly with the sky it vanishes entirely and instead takes on the appearence of a wall of fog.  This is a strange illusion since things at sea remain visible, but it is so featureless and such a perfect reflection of the sky, if the sky lacks distinct features itself it tricks the brain.

Art - very nice to see these anaglyphs, I think for my eyes they are a bit strong at a normal viewing distance from the monitors (but then again, I use large monitors and sit quite near to them).  From a greater distance they fall into play nicely through the 3D glasses.  The Taffy model is very good too... but unlike many I don't feel inclined to lick it (feeling a bit sea-sick still).  The Stereogram defeated me.  Though I also struggle with the cross eyed method of viewing 3D and binoculars to me show me two images side by side which always feels confusing and doesn't seem to be what other people see.  So maybe I have some slight missalighment in my eyes though the optician has never commented on it.

Horo - The terrain all look good to me, and indeed, as you can see, I am enjoying them myself.

Hansmar - while I enjoy abstracts, I find it difficult to offer any verdict on them.

Vivien - well done on following the tutorials.  Wings 3D is a fun program to make these shapes with.  Modo, the modeller I use almost exclusively now (andis very good don't get me wrong) but it is far less suited to this kind of modeling (but it is far better suited to the more practical projects I am attempting).  In terms of fun, I'd say Wings won hands down.

So... these examples are more about atmospherics than seawater, since it seems most of you are happy with the look of the sea.  Though feel free to comment on the sea if it looks wrong.  Since to a great extent the appearance of the sea is dependant on the sky.

Sea_island5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 351K
    Sea_island6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 337K
    Sea_island7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 358K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

In that last image David I could feel the wind howling down through there :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,383
    edited September 2015

Art- thanks for sharing these 3D artwork.  Hidden object stereograms, crosseyed,  Wiggles are all new to me.  I'm going to check out the links and also the Magiceye link Horo posted this weekend. I like the "Wiggle" of your lsland render.

David - All your renders are looking great.

Here's another attempt at anaglyphs using an earlier render. One gray and the other colored. I used the AnaMaker for the anaglyphs.

Btw Horo and David’s Bryce 7.1 Pro - Environments - Beneath the Waves is in the store

http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-beneath-the-waves

ssynth-ana.jpg
    600 x 600 - 71K
    ssynth-ana-color.jpg
    600 x 600 - 71K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

@David Brinnen - your sea/island is looking better and better - if a little blue for Grimsby or Skeggy! (And I see the undersea stuff hit the store today - hope to pick that up in a few minutes)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2015

Gorgeous sea...second one in particular. I recall, at one time in the old thread, about getting water to merge with a sandy beach (where the wave met the beach - think it was Rashad's beach), but creating crashing waves (white horses etc.,) would be even harder.

There is some depthness, Mermaid, but I'd say more could be gotten out of the two. Anaglyps, aren't simple: I usually end up discarding several before finally accepting one, and even at that, it may not always be correct.

Playing around with my street scene again...this time at street level (note, the Bryce store on left...always worth a visit wink).

CityStreet.jpg
    1100 x 704 - 651K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited September 2015

Mermaid - Thank you. I'm missing out on many anaghyphs, need to get 3d glasses

Horo - Thank you for your comment and sugestion , I went back to it and use a 2d face and terrains instead of a wall.. I think it worked.

Hansmar - Thank you

David - Thank you, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy learning Wings 3d. I will have a look at Modo as well. As for your sea renders. I can't imagine how you can improve them, they look fabulous.  I can also understand the variance of the water. If you don't mind I'm sending you 3 photos from my place to show the effect the atmosphere has on the water. And  I would love to see you recreate the clouds.

Jay - That is some fancy street. Very nice

Art- You are not wrong when you say addiction. I had quick look at your tutorials, thank you I'll certainly use them. The stereogram did not work for me, I remember when magic eye had first come out I use to spend a long time trying to work them out.  maybe I don't poke my tongue out enough. Lol. But I do like the main object and it's colours.

This is the revised image after Horo's suggestions and the second I used a technique I use very often called ( I wonder what would happen if I press this)

rusty wings.jpg
    800 x 800 - 69K
    wings 2.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 41K
    small 1b.jpg
    800 x 800 - 133K
    small 3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 156K
    small 2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 109K
    Post edited by vivien on
    edited September 2015

David - great watery scenes.

Mermaid - the anaglyphs don't work for me. I have to swap the goggles to get red right and cyan left to make them work. I don't know AnaMaker. Anaglyphs from photographs I assemble manually in HDRShop (retains contrast better than Photoshop) like I did renders before we came up with the ALS.

Jay - I understand that you lost patience. I was in the shop when you took the shot but I stayed quite long. Buildings, street and POV are great, very believable. Cars and people give it away that it's an artificial picture. Nevertheless, I like it.

vivien - the rusty object became an appropriate place to rest. The second object is very nice. The weather pictures were all taken at the same place. Very dramatic clouds.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2015

Cheers, Vivien...the 'clean' streets of New York...heh he.

Yeah, Horo, the cars look dinky-like...you just gave me an idea to throw in a high-rez car into the city scene. Will work on it to see how it turns out. PS. sorry, I missed you in the Bryce store...had just popped over the road to McDonald's for a burger wink

Jay

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited September 2015

Just thought I'd try an Anaglyph as they seem to be popular at the minute.

Does it work for you?

ExcavatorAna.jpg
    748 x 542 - 312K
    Post edited by StuartB on
    edited September 2015

Super, Stuart...and I'd say you could get even more depth out of it with the shovel part extended out and right over to the left margin (but not over-shooting it) of the image.

Jay

Stuart, I agree with Jay. Works absolutely great. You were very considerate (or lucky) that the knee (or elbow) on top just doesn't hit the upper frame, because it comes out to the viewer.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Thanks Jay, I just need to ungroup the object and move the arm out a bit more.

Thanks Horo, and yes it was more luck than judgement. :)

@Fencepost52: Thanks. Very nice object in your stereothingy.

@David Brinnen: No verdict needed, of course. I really like your last sea scene. The first one is a bit too misty for my taste.

@Jamahoney: Great street. I should visit that shop! But I hope to look more lively when I come out then those people :)

@vivien1: rusty wings are great. Eh, are the last three also full Bryce scenes? If so: wonderful!

edited September 2015

That's true. Hansmar, the people look, in general, boring/static - nothing, of course,  to do with the offers in the Bryce store...hehe he. Perhaps, some half-naked, fully-breasted female models in the windows would attract 'certain' eyes.

Ja

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2015

Great work still continuing all... David's patience with the ocean materials are yielding super results wow!

I'm hoping the forum is a bit more stable now and that I can upoad some of my recent stuff. A lot of it has been generated in Adobe Illustrator because I've been doing a lot of Escher style tesellated repeat patterns for a collection of cloth I'm having printed. But for every one I've made a Bryce render of samples of it (mostly to double check the step & repeat was accurate, but also to make some interesting abstract type renders).

But I'll post this one first. The tin enameled sign, I dug up in the garden of the house I lived in back in the 80's. I love the sign and it's been on my various walls ever since. This morning I photographed it and made it into a 3D model with trans map and bump map. The wall material is from David & Horo's Seamless Tex Mix product and the ivy was made in the Ivy Generator application.

SoapSignIvy.jpg
    975 x 975 - 514K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2015

And a taster for the Escher type tesellations.

MaterialSamples.jpg
    1200 x 573 - 836K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited September 2015

Dave - beautiful wall render with the picture and the ivy. Great Escher patterns, too.

I've been "wiggling" a bit, inspired by Art's example. I only made 2 repeating frames and also played fith the FPS value. I have them on my website under anaglyphs as a less common 3D example https://www.horo.ch/raytracing/how2ana/sys/index_en.html > 8.Wiggle. Since the beginning of this month, the Google Chrome browser doesn't support MOV files anymore. Firefox 40 and MSIE 11 still do.

EDIT: I now added Flash "wiggles" as well.

Post edited by Horo on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511

here is an update for the previous image i shared, its no where near completed...but i am liking how its turning out so far :)

And when will the tutorial series be coming out? :)

c-ram said:
    Great renders from everyone! Just to let you know that in august, I'm going to display some of my work in a showroom in my town. I have printed 9 pictures on canvas and here's the result.

Can I ask what resolution you rendered them in? Did you haved to do enlarging of the rendered image to print?

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@ Milo, thank you smiley ...tutorial series ? ....I do not think i am anywhere near good enough to tutor any one about bryce, i am happy to try my best and answer any questions you may have though smiley

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2015

Thanks for the feedback and comments on my last sea images.  Getting the right level of mist seems to be difficult thing to get.  Here I've had a go at replicating the atmosphere from one of the photo's supplied by Vivien.

Dave, super render with the rusty sign, everything is top notch.  The Escher tesselations look interesting too.  Nicely presented.  The "Shrooms" look almost 3D themselves.

Stuart B.  The anaglyph worked mostly for me.  In some places, like the top of the mast though, it seemed to help if I tilted my head over to the left for some reason.

Sea_island8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 279K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on

Hansmar - Thank you,  The last three scenes are photos from my place. I wish I was that good, but have a look at David's reproduction and you'll understand talent.

Dave - Beautiful render, it looks like a photo, and I like your Escher as well.

David - Wow!!!! I knew you were the right person for the job, Love the threatening clouds, you match their color to the water very well. And the white mist on the water at the background gives the impression that the rain has reached that part, maybe you can add some of your rain.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@ viven1, just a guess...but from those pictures are you Australian ? ...and from the northern beaches area of sydney ? laugh

@ viven1, just a guess...but from those pictures are you Australian ? ...and from the northern beaches area of sydney ? laugh

Yes Tim, I'm in Australia, but south of the Harbour Bridge, Brighton-Le-Sands in fact, do you come from this part of the world as well?

This discussion has been closed.