MetaMixer

marblemarble Posts: 7,449

The email promo for this new toolkit just appeared so I took a quick look. First impression questions:

1. Doesn't "MetaHuman" infringe the already existing MetaHuman from Unreal?

2. Is this only for the head or is there a full body version coming "soon"?

3. What exactly is a compatible figure? Is this only for 8.1 and later?

Comments

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,018
    It doesn't look like they're actually using anything related to MetaHuman--the video title it appears in is on the developer's personal channel and it's phrased as a question. It's still something I'd change to avoid confusion but I don't think it's a legal issue.
  • I was looking at some of the example videos on the main page (https://www.daz3d.com/introducing-metamixer-toolkit).  Kjaer 8 was one figure that I noticed, so it looks like it supports Gen8.  Haven't tested it on the previous ones, however.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Watch out for bugs. I haven't loaded 4.16 or tried MetaMixer, but the first video seems to show an interface bug. There is a Topsy face labeled Holt 8HD. sad

I've already submitted a bug report.

Holt HD looks like Topsy.jpg
    2197 x 1900 - 261K
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037
    edited November 2021

The MetaMixer Toolkit comes with everything you need to begin using MetaMixer in Daz Studio. While owning a base character will always be the best way to benefit from full-body features, MetaMixer Add-Ons allow you to use that character's head shape in MetaMixer whether or not the character is in your library. This toolkit includes 4 add-ons to get you started:

Holt 8 Add-On for MetaMixer
        The Brute 8 Add-On for MetaMixer
        Nida 8 Add-On for MetaMixer
        Twosret 8 Add-On for MetaMixer

Additional character add-ons and HD add-ons for MetaMixer are sold separately.

Sounds for me, that they want us to charge again for Chars which we already own.

Post edited by Hurdy3D on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

barbult said:

Watch out for bugs. I haven't loaded 4.16 or tried MetaMixer, but the first video seems to show an interface bug. There is a Topsy face labeled Holt 8HD. sad

I've been glancing at the 4.16 thread and I think I will hold off for a while. I'm still on 4.15.02 which is getting old now but I'm cautious about the reports of later versions being slow, etc.

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

barbult said:

Not a bug. That's Topsy 8 face combined with Holt 8 HD details. Everything is explained in the tutorial file.

gerster said:

The MetaMixer Toolkit comes with everything you need to begin using MetaMixer in Daz Studio. While owning a base character will always be the best way to benefit from full-body features, MetaMixer Add-Ons allow you to use that character's head shape in MetaMixer whether or not the character is in your library. This toolkit includes 4 add-ons to get you started:

Sounds for me, that they want us to charge again for Chars which we already own.

I don't have any of those characters so it looks like I can forget this. Looks quite nifty for those who have the required content but not enough to tempt me to buy characters I wouldn't have bought otherwise. 

Are all these additional MetaMixer morphs, which are added to the data folder, going to slow down the loading of all G8F and G8M characters, as we've discovered happens everytime we install a new character or morph pack?

barbult said:

Are all these additional MetaMixer morphs, which are added to the data folder, going to slow down the loading of all G8F and G8M characters, as we've discovered happens everytime we install a new character or morph pack?

Yes but I managed to find a workaround. On my machine Genesis 8/8.1 loads in 10 seconds so MetaMixer only accounts for a few seconds of that.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

marble said:

gerster said:

I don't have any of those characters so it looks like I can forget this. Looks quite nifty for those who have the required content but not enough to tempt me to buy characters I wouldn't have bought otherwise. 

Did neither of you actually read that post? You can use a character in MetaMixer if you own that character, but you can use those four listed characters WHETHER OR NOT you own them.

Faux2D said:

barbult said:

Yes but I managed to find a workaround. On my machine Genesis 8/8.1 loads in 10 seconds so MetaMixer only accounts for a few seconds of that.

What is this workaround? My Genesis 8 loads much slower than that. The only workaround I've heard of is to move morphs out of the data folder or rename them so they aren't seen. But of course then you can't use them either. Any better performance workaround you can share that makes the morphs still available, would be very valuable!

Gordig said:

marble said:

gerster said:

Did neither of you actually read that post? You can use a character in MetaMixer if you own that character, but you can use those four listed characters WHETHER OR NOT you own them.

Yep, you're right - I missed that bit.  

barbult said:

Faux2D said:

barbult said:

What is this workaround? My Genesis 8 loads much slower than that. The only workaround I've heard of is to move morphs out of the data folder or rename them so they aren't seen. But of course then you can't use them either. Any better performance workaround you can share that makes the morphs still available, would be very valuable!

It's not the morphs that slow down the loading process that much. As far as I can tell the morphs are loaded in as a list and only when you apply them do they get actually loaded inside Studio. This is why there's a lag sometimes between moving a morph dial and seeing its effect.

What slows down the loading process mostly is the morph dependencies meaning all the other parameters which are controlled or control the morph. The version of MetaMixer I worked on had 3000+ morphs (comprising 36 characters) none of which have any dependencies with the Genesis figure therefore they're all loaded in as a simple list (which takes some time because there are 3000+ of them). Assuming you own 100 characters, most likely MetaMixer would probably add half a minute to the load time.

• Yeah, but what did you exactly do that G8/8.1 load in 10 seconds on your machine? How many morphs/characters still active?

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Yeah, but what did you exactly do that G8/8.1 load in 10 seconds on your machine? How many morphs/characters still active?

The workaround is applied to MetaMixer itself so it doesn't add to the load time like a regular Daz character does.

On my machine I try to keep as little assets installed as I can. I use several base directories so I can disable them as needed to keep everything simple. The workaround I described could be used on future characters but not older ones.

• RaketeRakete Posts: 88
    edited November 2021

This is a really a nice tool. How can other shapes then the default shapes be used with Metamixer?

Post edited by Rakete on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited November 2021

...kind of moot here as I primarily use G3.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Rakete said:

This is a really a nice tool. How can other shapes then the default shapes be used with Metamixer?

What do you mean by other shapes? Other faces?

4 Character presets (the faces) come with the tool. More presets can be added if you own a character (Gen 8/8.1). However even without any character presets MetaMixer can still be used but only with the universal controls as in you'll still be able to move parts of the face around, rotate them, scale them, etc.

• RaketeRakete Posts: 88

Faux2D said:

Rakete said:

What do you mean by other shapes? Other faces?

4 Character presets (the faces) come with the tool. More presets can be added if you own a character (Gen 8/8.1). However even without any character presets MetaMixer can still be used but only with the universal controls as in you'll still be able to move parts of the face around, rotate them, scale them, etc.

Yeah, other faces. How can I put one of my characters into one of the slots? Just use a shaping preset and apply it somehow? 

• Faux2D said:

The workaround is applied to MetaMixer itself so it doesn't add to the load time like a regular Daz character does.

On my machine I try to keep as little assets installed as I can. I use several base directories so I can disable them as needed to keep everything simple. The workaround I described could be used on future characters but not older ones.

Exactly how I do it. I have DAZ installed regular main library but all G, G2, G3, G8 males and female /morph folder are in a seperate "Creation Forge" library. Then I have a shared library with morphs shared between multiple ones I use all the time named "Base Character Data." FInally each seperate, dialspun that I put together, character has his own morph library named by the character with only morphs for that character not in BCD. I only load those I am using at the time, and Creation Forge only when making something brand new. Took time to set up but I also save a lot of time loading so ... worth it :)

• kyoto kid said:

...kind of moot here as I primarily use G3.

You could always build it in G8 and then use Riversoft's converter to translate it to G3.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2021

Where is Metamixer?

Something happened when I was installing 4.16 through DIM. It massively borked my installation of Daz Studio (it was loading in white). So I've had to manually download and install 4.16. 

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • GuyGenesisGuyGenesis Posts: 142
    edited November 2021

N_R Arts said:

Where is Metamixer?

Something happened when I was installing 4.16 through DIM. It massively borked my installation of Daz Studio (it was loading in white). So I've had to manually download and install 4.16. 

Store Link: https://www.daz3d.com/metamixer-toolkit
    (free to Daz+/PC+ members)

In program located under People/Genesis 8 Male/Female/Shape

Post edited by GuyGenesis on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415

GuyGenesis said:

N_R Arts said:

Where is Metamixer?

Store Link: https://www.daz3d.com/metamixer-toolkit
    (free to Daz+/PC+ members)

In program located under People/Genesis 8 Male/Female/Shape

Thank you ^^

I just wish other characters outside of Daz could be used with Metamixer (at least, I assume they can't). I've got a few characters that I'd love to blend together.

• videoninja719videoninja719 Posts: 343
    edited November 2021

Any documentation or video guide on how to use metamixer, wheres the start button? sorry im a bit of noob here

Post edited by videoninja719 on
  • Guardian Angel 671Guardian Angel 671 Posts: 213
    edited November 2021

Ok I'm feeling very dumb here.I can't even find it inside the DS program.  - nevermind just found it:) now to learn it.

Post edited by Guardian Angel 671 on
  • I'm gonna need a full refund. 

1: It doesn't work

well that's about it really. Just doesn't work. Running 4.16 update, and followed the PDF tutorial, and nothing happens. 

• AHArtAHArt Posts: 202

How do you add characters? Also I noticed that in the tutorial the characters show up as wearable presets? Mine show up as shapes?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

Just another toy.  If we could load any of our owned characters, I'd use this, but in its current form it's of no interest.  Uninstalled.

• I don't really understand how this is any better than using the pre-existing parameter sliders? Can some official daz person explain that?