Volumetric liquids in 3delight

Greetings,

I have been trying to see if it is possible to make actual volumetric liquids in 3delight but I haven't figured out how. Some pointers in the right direction would be very very appreciated.

Comments

• Are you wanting more than uberVolume will do?

• Hello yes Ubervolume seems lack some key features like refraction,reflection, etc so making it the base of volumetric liquids like say juice, milk,etc doesn't seem possible(to me). I could be completely illinformede though.

• Could you use two matching geometries, one for the surface properties and oen for the enclosed volume?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,204

Take a look at the AoA Subsurface shader, part of the default resources. It doesn't have any presets, but there are a few products that do, notably Subsurface Toolbox. Good for external views of translucent substances, like milk, for example. Mainly it was used for skin, but there are many settings to play with, including index of refraction and reflection.

• That is certainly something I can try but I have a feeling it probably won't look like the real deal. Fingers crossed though.

• Oh yes AoA and awe shaders are great for most surface properties.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Yes the awe SSS is way more physically accurate than the AoA SSS, but the AoA can produce some really nice "jellyfish" type surfaces if you start overdoing values:) And dont forget that aweSurface also has physically plausible transmission absorption topped with transmission roughness.

But yeah, North is right, SSS is probably the way to go with stuff like milk etc. It's a true volumetric effect.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,204

Ah, yes. I had forgotten about AWE Shader. I presume you found AWE Surface Shader - a new physically plausible shader for DAZ Studio and 3delight - Daz 3D Forums

...coming to think of it- the pwGhost shader can be fun to play with, and it supports reflections/refraction + a bunch of other things...

Also you could make a custom shadermixer network using for example the blend edge brick to kind of simulate volume. Will probably render quite fast even when using raytraced reflection/refraction...

• LordGeneralLordGeneral Posts: 106
    edited November 2021

Yes Sven diected me towards the awe shaders. And they are great.

Whoops yes I had forgotten about the absorption property of volumetric liquids. 

Have you guys tried to do volumetric liquids in 3dl though. I would really love to see some examples.

Post edited by LordGeneral on

Alright, a couple of quick tests...milk and juice use subsurface no transmission, coffee and perfume use pure transmission no SS. I also dialed in some transmission rougness in the perfume just to show the effect. I don't recommend using both SS and transmission (or transmission with opacity), rendertimes skyrocket and will possibly produce fireflies, but feel free to experiment;)

• I think the orange one has too much shadow on the sides, which makes it look more like sand or wax, but the others look great

• That perfume and coke look sublime.

• I used to use the shaders in this product

https://www.daz3d.com/liquid-pack

dragonoake said:

I think the orange one has too much shadow on the sides, which makes it look more like sand or wax, but the others look great

Tks, yeah not too happy about it myself, but it's just a matter of tweaking diffuse- and SS colors, saturation, and SS scale, -phase etc. 

edited November 2021

LordGeneral said:

That perfume and coke look sublime.

Tks mate:) I might give the SS stuff another go later, unless you come up with something nice:)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited November 2021

New larger version with more pixelsamples, SS samples, diffuse- and specular depth...question seems to be use translucency or not...guess it depends on the effect you want and of course the lighting. Not to mention using props with proper topology.

Milk Coke and Juice awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on