What can I do for my PC?

Hi all, firstly thanks for all the advice I have gained from these forums so far :)

I have an OMEN 25L Gaming PC - Intel® Core™ i5, GTX 1660 Super, 2 TB HDD and I have 16g of ram. 

I don't do very complex scenes and I get pretty good results after about 35 mins of rendering but if I wanted to increase the speed of iray renders what could I upgrade on my pc to make a significant difference? 

Many thanks. 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,028

An RTX card and more System RAM. 

• Gordig said:

An RTX card and more System RAM

Thanks, How much ram and which card would you reccomend? 

• The HP Omen 25L is not known for it's airflow (thermals), so you're  kind of limited to low tdp hardware.  You probably can get away with an RTX3060 (12Gb VRAM) and 32 GB of System RAM. - 3060TI-3070/TI and higher tdp rated cards probably require a case with better airflow/thermals.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515

...well a 12 GB 3060 is about the most affordable RTX 30xx card available today, particularly if you can get on a contact list with a manufacturer or Best Buy  It would would give you a lot of "overhead" for rendering and room for growth if you begin to become more ambitious with scenes down the road.  Specs wise it is roughly comparable to the Pascal Titan-X with the same number of shading units (CUDA cores) and VRAM  Gaming performance is a bit lower however the addition of RT cores  faster memory and processor should enhance rendering performance particularly over the GTX 1660.  I got my 3060 direct from EVGA for 409 USD. which is around than half what is currently seen on sites like eBay Amazon, Newegg, and others.

The 8 GB 3070 is another route g to go to get more cores but they are well over 1,000 USD even for used ones (original MSRP of 500 USD for the Founders Edition).

The advantage with RTX is that since Daz 4.12, Iray has been optimised for RTX whereas running an GTX card you lose a "noticeable" amount of VRAM for the speed adjustment that Nvidia made (my old Titan-X [Maxwell] was indicated as having only 8 GB out of 12 in MSI Afterburner when rendering in 4.12 and above).  

I looked at the specs for the Omen 25L and if it has the stock PSU (500w) you would need to upgrade that to a minimum of 550 w for the 3060 or 650 w for the 3070.  Personally I would go at least 100 w higher than the Nvidia recommendation.650 for the 3060 w and 750 w for the 3070.   The Cooler Master unit that comes with the Omen is apparently made exclusively for the it so not sure if it can be swapped out for a different model/brand  or you have to stick with the one made for the Omen (which means taking it to an HP tech for upgrading as the PSU units are not sold separately).

To support 12 GB you would want at least 64 GB of system memory  Technically you would need at minimum 36 GB, 48 ideally, but that is not possible with the way memory is configured today. For the RTX 3070, 32 GB would be sufficient..

• JVRenderer said:

The HP Omen 25L is not known for it's airflow (thermals), so you're  kind of limited to low tdp hardware.  You probably can get away with an RTX3060 (12Gb VRAM) and 32 GB of System RAM. - 3060TI-3070/TI and higher tdp rated cards probably require a case with better airflow/thermals.

Thanks for that, I will check my local retailers for prices :) 

• kyoto kid said:

...well a 12 GB 3060 is about the most affordable RTX 30xx card available today, particularly if you can get on a contact list with a manufacturer or Best Buy  It would would give you a lot of "overhead" for rendering and room for growth if you begin to become more ambitious with scenes down the road.  Specs wise it is roughly comparable to the Pascal Titan-X with the same number of shading units (CUDA cores) and VRAM  Gaming performance is a bit lower however the addition of RT cores  faster memory and processor should enhance rendering performance particularly over the GTX 1660.  I got my 3060 direct from EVGA for 409 USD. which is around than half what is currently seen on sites like eBay Amazon, Newegg, and others.

The 8 GB 3070 is another route g to go to get more cores but they are well over 1,000 USD even for used ones (original MSRP of 500 USD for the Founders Edition).

The advantage with RTX is that since Daz 4.12, Iray has been optimised for RTX whereas running an GTX card you lose a "noticeable" amount of VRAM for the speed adjustment that Nvidia made (my old Titan-X [Maxwell] was indicated as having only 8 GB out of 12 in MSI Afterburner when rendering in 4.12 and above).  

I looked at the specs for the Omen 25L and if it has the stock PSU (500w) you would need to upgrade that to a minimum of 550 w for the 3060 or 650 w for the 3070.  Personally I would go at least 100 w higher than the Nvidia recommendation.650 for the 3060 w and 750 w for the 3070.   The Cooler Master unit that comes with the Omen is apparently made exclusively for the it so not sure if it can be swapped out for a different model/brand  or you have to stick with the one made for the Omen (which means taking it to an HP tech for upgrading as the PSU units are not sold separately).

To support 12 GB you would want at least 64 GB of system memory  Technically you would need at minimum 36 GB, 48 ideally, but that is not possible with the way memory is configured today. For the RTX 3070, 32 GB would be sufficient..

Thank you for taking the time to write this :) The RTX3060 (12Gb VRAM) and 32 GB of System RAM has been suggested but I had no idea about the issues my PC might face if I did upgrade. So if I went for that card what would I need to do for it? Or should I go for a lower spec card?

Many thanks

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

You would need to upgrade the power supply if you want a RTX 3060, the one you currently have is too weak for that card.

• 3DBerlin3DBerlin Posts: 105

I have 

• Core i7 10700f8 core 16 thread4.8 GHz Clock16 MB Cache
    • AMD Ryzen 3 3200/AMD Ryzen 9 3900x:ASRock B460 PRO4
    • GPU i5 8500:NVIDIA RTX 3070ti 8 GBPassmark Score: 22588
    • Intel RAM:32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz Corsair
    • Power Supply Options:750W Corsair 80+ Bronze
    • Intel CPU Cooler Options:Corsair AIO RGB 240mm
    • Storage Options:2TB SSD Samsung
    • Storage Options:2TB HDD Seagate 7200RPM

Renders are fast as lightning  

• Leana said:

You would need to upgrade the power supply if you want a RTX 3060, the one you currently have is too weak for that card.

Thank you for that :)

• Well this is the PC that has been suggested to me. What do you guys think?  ASUS ROG Strix G15 Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7, RTX 3060, 1 TB HDD & 1 TB SSD
    ROG Strix G15 Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7, RTX 3060, 1 TB HDD & 1 TB SSD

• tedberlin said:

I have 

Wow cool, how fast is fast as lightning? 

• tedberlin said:

I have 

Just how fast as lightning are we talking about?