EULA question

Bryan SteagallBryan Steagall Posts: 233
edited November 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion
I have a customer that wants me to do some facial mocap for a video project. They sent me an fbx file for me to retarget to and lo and behold, it is a Daz Genesis 8.1 character. They supposedly commissioned this from a freelance artist. I immediately deleted the file and informed them of this. But it raises a question Is there a way that is permissible in the eula for me to work on a project like this? If I had the exact character and other assets in studio, would that satisfy the requirement? Thanks in advance
Post edited by Bryan Steagall on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

If you do the mocap on a figure that you own, render the video and send it to them, you're in the clear. 

• I don't think that is something the forums can handle - Daz might allow it on a case-by-case basis, but they certainly wouldn't want to risk setting a general precedent that could be exploited.

• Thank you Richard, do you have a contact that I could address this question to? Thanks
  • Bryan Steagall said:

Thank you Richard, do you have a contact that I could address this question to? Thanks

Try a Sales Support ticket, since it is essentially a usage question.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358

Bryan Steagall said:

Thank you Richard, do you have a contact that I could address this question to? Thanks

In case your not sure where to submit a ticket https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited November 2021

Bryan Steagall said:

They sent me an fbx file for me to retarget to and lo and behold, it is a Daz Genesis 8.1 character. They supposedly commissioned this from a freelance artist.

Isn't that what the interactive license is for ? I mean to share assets for game creation. Otherwise how is it supposed to work, if you have to ask daz every time then what the interactive license is for. Not that I do games or need to share assets myself but it seems just to make sense.

As I understand it in this case your customer, that's the one making the game or movie, must have the interactive license for the required items to commision both you and the other freelance artist to do your jobs.

edit. Forget what I wrote before. I did read the EULA carefully and I understand that the daz license is strictly personal. So in a team every single person must own the required licenses to work with the items. That includes both your customer, you, and the other freelance artist. Items cannot be shared in any form to people who don't own the license for them. This of course doesn't work well for a company who wants to commision works to others.

https://www.daz3d.com/eula/

Post edited by Padone on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

Padone said:

Bryan Steagall said:

They sent me an fbx file for me to retarget to and lo and behold, it is a Daz Genesis 8.1 character. They supposedly commissioned this from a freelance artist.

Isn't that what the interactive license is for ? I mean to share assets for game creation.

No. It gives you the right to distribute a game which includes Daz content, in a format which prevents extraction of said content. It doesn't give you the right to send a fbx version of a Daz figure to someone else.

• Bryan Steagall said:

I have a customer that wants me to do some facial mocap for a video project. They sent me an fbx file for me to retarget to and lo and behold, it is a Daz Genesis 8.1 character. They supposedly commissioned this from a freelance artist. I immediately deleted the file and informed them of this. But it raises a question Is there a way that is permissible in the eula for me to work on a project like this? If I had the exact character and other assets in studio, would that satisfy the requirement? Thanks in advance

I do think it's smart to inform the client that the "freelancer" may have simply re-sold something they had no right to, since using the asset under the false impression that the end client now owns it may land him/her in trouble later on. If possible, the client should try to get his/her money back.

• @FenixPhoenix

That is exactly what I did, let them know that the "commissioned" character was a daz studio asset, not an original, and therefore could not work on the project until clarification.  I think this is all because they had a very tight deadline of this December 3rd for this project and cut a whole bunch of corners.  I think the "freelancer" got away with it because unless you regularly work with daz characters, as I do, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  It was not a large customer anyway and highly decentralized, meaning, the producers were here in the US, the "freelancer" in EU and the animation team in Russia.  Lots of red flags, and this was the biggest

Thanks to all for your responses

• Bryan Steagall said:

@FenixPhoenix

That is exactly what I did, let them know that the "commissioned" character was a daz studio asset, not an original, and therefore could not work on the project until clarification.  I think this is all because they had a very tight deadline of this December 3rd for this project and cut a whole bunch of corners.  I think the "freelancer" got away with it because unless you regularly work with daz characters, as I do, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  It was not a large customer anyway and highly decentralized, meaning, the producers were here in the US, the "freelancer" in EU and the animation team in Russia.  Lots of red flags, and this was the biggest

Thanks to all for your responses

I can imagine. Bad practices when it comes to design are very prevalent. Even if your customer decided not to heed your advice and proceed anyways, at the very least you have covered your bases. When I used to work as a freelance, that's what I tended to do. Inform my client of any red flags I see and then see what happened. If they wanted me to work off of a premade asset, I always wrote up a contract and made them sign it (basically making them sign that the product I was given was rightfully own by the customer and that I would not be held responsible if that wasn't the case). But there were only very few cases when I was made to work off of a pre-made design.

• @FenixPhoenix

I've never had to worry before, as most of the customers for which I do this type of work are larger studios, but that is a good practice that I'll implement, thanks Fenix.  They also wanted about 10 minutes of facial animation done in 3 or 4 days, which is doable, but only if the character was pre-rigged, which in this case, was not (they exported it out without blendshapes)  It was one of those deals where my gut told me to run away from the very start