Asset management and workflow question: sharing figures across multiple workflows

I've been using DS for a while now (since V4 was the rage, anyway), and I've always wrestled with the best way to address the following issue:

I have a ton of custom designed figures. I use them in multiple projects. I tweak one, and if I want to use that updated figure in an existing project I have to go in and save the position and pose of the existing instance in the scene, remove the old version of the figure, add the new version of the figure, and apply the preset(s) to bring the scene up to date.

After all this time, it's beginning to get old. :)

So, the question: is there a process by which I can define a figure within a scene such that when the figure gets updated outside of the scene, the metadata for that updated figure is used within the scene rather than the "moment in time" instance as it was when the scene was first created?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated, even if to say "no, 'fraid you can't do that".

Thanks!

Comments

• ZiconZicon Posts: 164

I tend to save characters I need to reuse as shaping presets. Whenever I tweak the character, I update the preset. Then, when I go back to an earlier scene, I can simply apply the updated shaping preset to the character, no replacing required.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

jahochberg said:

is there a process by which I can define a figure within a scene such that when the figure gets updated outside of the scene, the metadata for that updated figure is used within the scene rather than the "moment in time" instance as it was when the scene was first created?

No, there's no way to do that automatically.

• You could create a morph slider for your character. Every time you change or update the character, just zero its pose and do an ERC freeze, then save the modified asset. A previous project will simply have that slider dialed in at 100% so it will dial in the morph at its current state. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

I haven't tried it, but as the save files are mostly links to assets that you have installed, it should be possible to create a scene file that links to characters saved as Scene Subsets instead of the geometry files in ...\Data\

Characters saved as Scene Subsets could be updated as needed and whenever you open a scene that uses that character, you would always get the latest version.

This may need editing the scene file (.duf) manually though