Creating pressure morphs in the absence of HD morphs

AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 639
edited May 2022 in The Commons

Please don't turn this into.a speculation / complaint thread. We don't have HD morphs for reasons we cannot know. laugh 

And actually, don't think HD morphs are something that's desirable in many situations, as it's far easier to work on a low-res mesh, but there is an excaption in my art: pressure morphs, as I've shown below.

I am pretty obsessed with getting clothes to fit realistically, and my renders feature tight clothing almost exclusively (my ladies are always dressed - it's not like that!).

Tight clothing doesn't sit on the surface of the skin, it pushes into it. The Slay Lingerie I pictured has this, but it's rare even on Daz, and of course unheard of in other stores' products. I can create SD morphs to simulate this in some situations, for example around the leg, it really depends upon how the garment aligns with the G8 mesh, but it's rare I can get anything very good in anything but the simplest cases.

On one occasion, I subdivied the figure, sculped it, transferred it back, and then reapplied all the surfaces, but then everything was baked. It's not a good solution. I've also tried to get dForce to do it, but even with no gravity, poor Genesis went a bit blobby! (I actually think the best solution isn't an HD morph, it's for dForce to understand the physical properties of the garment and the skin / muscle and perform the simutation, but if that's possible, that's way beyond my level of dForce knowledge!)

I'm really after any better workarounds, or pointers as to how I might get this right with dForce, as I feel this is an element of photorealism my art lacks. I know there are people that know a lot more than I do, so maybe there is a better way.

Thanks for any ideas!

Post edited by AndrewJJP on

Comments

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 639

Ascania said:

https://www.daz3d.com/grasp-helper-for-genesis-8-and-genesis-81

Thanks! I thought that only worked when it was the hand doing the deforming. I can also use it for other things?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

I use Mesh Grabber...not sure if you've tried that. It's still not perfect, but at least its something. 

MelissaGT said:

I use Mesh Grabber...not sure if you've tried that. It's still not perfect, but at least its something. 

Thanks Melissa! I do have that, but I tend to find Blender gives more precistion, although I do use MeshGrabber to correct things.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

AndrewJJP said:

Ascania said:

https://www.daz3d.com/grasp-helper-for-genesis-8-and-genesis-81

Thanks! I thought that only worked when it was the hand doing the deforming. I can also use it for other things?

Sorry, forgot the other one: https://www.daz3d.com/ghost-dynamics

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834

For somethign like this,  working inside DS, a weight-mapped Push Modifier would be an obvious choice - if there were vertices in the right places - since it moves the surface in/out along the normals.

Richard Haseltine said:

For somethign like this,  working inside DS, a weight-mapped Push Modifier would be an obvious choice - if there were vertices in the right places - since it moves the surface in/out along the normals.

Thanks Richard. Do you know if that will let me modify the subdivided mesh? That would be idea.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

It's way simpler with HD morphs. frown

I just installed Unreal Engine 5, gotta give it a look.  

Gator said:

It's way simpler with HD morphs. frown

I just installed Unreal Engine 5, gotta give it a look.  

But I don't think I have that option as I understand it? I think it's what I need really, but for reasons I am not going to speculate about, it's not there. (Enjoy UE5!)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834

AndrewJJP said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Thanks Richard. Do you know if that will let me modify the subdivided mesh? That would be idea.

No, hence my comment about if there were vertices in the right place. There are no in-DS tools that will let us move the SubD virtual vertices, for those out only option is displacement.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited May 2022

Until DAZ makes available somehow HD for non-PAs, most often you're stuck with Geografts that can have denser (their own) meshes. Geografts course have their own issues like go into some DS tools/then back out and have all your Geografts turn white again as surface vibility is reset yet again.  And of course morphs are made for the geografts though based-body morphs impact in their own way too.

The current base res of mesh and their positions of Verts are too much compromised-based.  Vertices in right place often means compromise and close enough must do.

Would be nice if DAZ found a way to modernize mesh to the next level with maybe some mod availability so they make money and it can work easier for more users.  /Friendly Hint as a DS-reg user.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • I have also been interested in this, tried my ownD-Force weight maps, and more recently the new Squishy Humans, which got some results, but not as well as I hoped due to still being LD. Will be watching to see what other ideas folks may come up with. TD

edited May 2022

Thanks everyone, there are plenty of things to try there! Maybe I will post the results (when my PC has been repaired). I tend to edit in Blender for the precition it gives. In many cases you can move the vertices into the right place, but not every case. But perhaps I could even combine some of these approaches...

When I filled in the survey, this was my number 1 request for DS going forward, but I don't hold out much hope as I think relatively few users would benefit.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • AndrewJJP and any other interested Parties, previewing my WIP Pressure Morphing using Squishy Human for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female | Daz 3D. As I stated earlier, I had some limited success with weight mapping, but have been intrigued by the possibilities this new product brings to the table. Basic steps for these results:

1.Load a new Squishy G8F (Don't worry the morph will work on the G8.1F also!). Turn off Mesh Smoothing. Set the Mesh Resolution to at least 2.  I unhid the X and Z scale Parameters and favorited them for easy access.

2. Load the clothing separate from the figure, this will give the Squishy body and D-Form an obstacle to form around. Also turn off any Mesh Smoothing that may have loaded depending on the clothing.

3. In the Simulation tab, set Gravity to 0.0, and  turn off Start From Memorized Pose. Frames to Simulate should be set to Custom,(Note: it defaults to 1-30, which is fine)

4. Go to the timeline frame 15, and expand the G8F Squishy Human into the static clothing, it will look terrible, but that's OK! (Note: I used the Previously unhid X and Z scale properties, but any expansion or heavy morph will also work, I also added a bit of breast uplit for this Bikini top)

5. Set the animation frame to Zero, and hit Simulate. The 15 frames gives the Squishy body time to adapt to the static clothing, and then 15 frames to settle in. I ended up liking frame 17, only 2 frames after the max morphs were finalized. (Note: if you left the Start From Memorized Pose ON, the Squishy Body will sag unacceptably!)

6. Run the timeline arrow back and forth to find a frame you think is acceptable. Hide everything in the scene except the G8F (all internal structure, clothing and eyebrows), set the Resolution Level to Base, then export as a morph. This is where my WIP comes in. If I took out the morphs at that frame, the whole body shrinks back, but takes the areas under the clothing with it. I used Shape Splitter | Daz 3D in an attempt to isolate just the areas affected, The Hips worked well, but still got a bit of shoulder and armpit expansion. Also exported versions with and without the morphs applied, and tried a 50/50 split. All liveable at this point to get some Pressure morphing. So the three files are the Blaze Bikini Baseline Fit, My X-Splitter attempt, and the 50/50.

Hope that inspires some more experimentation, and look forward to seeing others results! TD

P.S. I could create a detailed Screen captured PDF of this basic process, but that may take me a couple of days to get too.

Blaze Bikini Baseline.jpg
    800 x 800 - 309K
    Blaze Bikini Compression.jpg
    800 x 800 - 309K
    Blaze Bikini 50-50.jpg
    800 x 800 - 302K