How to print a part (torso) of a character?

Hi everyone,
I would like to make a 3D print of a part of my character.

When the printing service converted the file (.obj) into (.stl) then the measurements are not the same at all.

Do you know how to do to have the same measurements? Thanks

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 226

Full disclosure - I know nothing about 3D printing but I did do an .stl conversion for a colleague at another company as a favour and it worked perfectly, I'm told.

Export your geometry as an .obj but set the scale to Blender in the options. Import the .obj into Blender (File -> Import -> Wavefront), after first having deleted the default cube, camera and light, and  then simply export it (File -> Export -> Stl) as an .stl. If you've used Blender before then you'll know what you're doing but, if not, you can do this with absolutely zero knowledge of how it works.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the measurements not being the same as I assume you're not trying to print out a life-size human torso! Do you mean the geometry gets compressed in one or more axes, something like that?

• food.plus13food.plus13 Posts: 76
    edited May 2022

TimberWolf said:

Full disclosure - I know nothing about 3D printing but I did do an .stl conversion for a colleague at another company as a favour and it worked perfectly, I'm told.

Export your geometry as an .obj but set the scale to Blender in the options. Import the .obj into Blender (File -> Import -> Wavefront), after first having deleted the default cube, camera and light, and  then simply export it (File -> Export -> Stl) as an .stl. If you've used Blender before then you'll know what you're doing but, if not, you can do this with absolutely zero knowledge of how it works.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the measurements not being the same as I assume you're not trying to print out a life-size human torso! Do you mean the geometry gets compressed in one or more axes, something like that?

Thanks a lot for these explanations... I will convert with blender...

Yes, I want to print in real size (it's a gift for my wife), the height of the torso is 95 cm on Daz. 

On Daz studio, when exporting the file (.obj)
    Daz => 1 unit = 1 cm
    Blender => 1 unit = 50 cm

But in the software of the 3D printing service (Materialise software) the torso is 95 mm. 

How to make the 3D printing service have 95 cm and not 95 mm?

Thanks

Post edited by food.plus13 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Blender unit is 1 meter (100 centimeters), DAZ has never fixed this mistake.

• food.plus13food.plus13 Posts: 76

jestmart said:

Thanks, I didn't know. Blender is 100cm even if it says 50cm?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736

food.plus13 said:

jestmart said:

Thanks, I didn't know. Blender is 100cm even if it says 50cm?

Blender says or the preset in the Daz Studio options dialogue says?

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 226
    edited May 2022

Jestmart is correct and I omitted the conversion error from my explanation. I've had my own Blender preset set up in Studio for ages so completely forgot about it. Studio says (in the dialogue) and actually does use 1 unit to 50cm when it should be 1 unit to 100cm. It exports at twice the size and imports at half the correct size if you don't fix it.

I've just finished sorting out a model in Blender using actual blueprints for its dimensions. According to photo references an average person's head will be just lower than the height of a main wheel and this is the result imported using 1 unit = 100cm. It's spot on.

Import 1 Unit @ 100cm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by TimberWolf on