"File does not exist..." when i'm looking right at it.

clivewil2clivewil2 Posts: 128
edited May 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

as above, i have several times had DS complain about being unable to find a file, when the file always exists and in the very same path DS specified

this time it's SASE's Welda character (can't find the eyes bumpmap, even after being shown it via Locate button) but i've had it happen with quite a few other characters too, specifically which though i don't recall right now.

why is DS having a hissyfit?

----> just checked the character surfaces, the bump *is* there, in the right channel, for what it's worth.

Post edited by clivewil2 on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

How do you install your products?

Do you log in to DS, or have you allowed DS to log in automatically?

• clivewil2clivewil2 Posts: 128
    edited May 2022

PerttiA said:

How do you install your products?

Do you log in to DS, or have you allowed DS to log in automatically?

all products are installed via DIM (except for those i make myself, or i buy from Rendo etc.)

i usually let DS login by itself. Welda was installed quite a while ago, e.g. DS has been quit/restarted several times since the package was installed, in fact the entire PC has been, at least twice.

----> maybe helpful - every time i load the basic figure, i get the error. BUT every time i load my ' v2 ' version, i.e. one that i've added hair and makeup to and saved as a subset, that loads without error every time.

Post edited by clivewil2 on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211

A number of products have a syntax error that had previously been overlooked, but since a few revisions ago, Studio has become less forgiving. Specifically, there is a "//" in the path for some texture bitmaps. The simple fix is to edit the files and remove one of those "/". Some PAs are actively updating their products, but, any errors of this kind need to have a help ticket raised so that the right people are made aware.

NorthOf45 said:

any errors of this kind need to have a help ticket raised so that the right people are made aware.

i'll write one soon. thanks!

Letting DS log in is the most likely culprit, as the only reason for logging in is to use DAZ Connect inside DS to update and install content.

If one uses external installers (DIM/DAZ Central/manual installation), the user does him/herself a huge favor and saves oneself from a lot of problems by never logging in to DS.

As you are letting DS to log in, you probably have that product installed into two separate locations, and the one installed by DAZ Connect within DS is corrupted (not uncommon with DAZ Connect installed content)

1. Set your Startup settings as in the attached sample.

2. Show us the content directories specified in Content Directory Manager, and we can tell you where to look for the DAZ Connect installed content (expand all the trees as in the attached pic.).

StartUp.jpg
    522 x 244 - 14K
    PathToContDirMan.jpg
    564 x 532 - 51K
    ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K

ok, here it is. slightly different to yours.

DSPaths00.jpg
    462 x 262 - 114K

Ok, the first problem is having "I:\DAZ_3D\Applications\Data\Daz 3D\My Daz 3D Library" specified under all three "Daz Connect Data", DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" as that makes any and all DAZ Connect installation "nested" directories, which DS does not like - DAZ Connect does not use the same locations for content installations as DIM/DAZ Central/Manual installations do.

To get some kind of idea, how much content you have installed by DAZ Connect, navigate to "I:\DAZ_3D\Applications\Data\Daz 3D\My Daz 3D Library\Data\Cache\" How many folders do you have there named "1_XXXXX"? (XXXXX is the SKU number of the products)

SKU for Welda is 78953 and the name of the folder should be "1_78953" if it was installed with DAZ Connect.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

There's a problem with some SASE characters in DS 4.20 due to an extra character in the path to some textures. Older versions of DS used to ignore that character but 4.20 doesn't.

The PA is aware and said they'd update the characters, not sure if some of the fixes are already available. In the mean time you can fix the presets yourself if you need:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7357316/#Comment_7357316

no cache folders, and i used Agent Ransack to confirm and also checked the user library on E: too just in case it was there instead. zero.

just for the record, i've never used 'Connect the application', but i figured maybe i was using 'Connect the service', as DS sometimes echoes something about receiving data from Connect. but i never installed Connect.

one of the first things i read in my early days was that it was bad news, so i only use DIM or manual install.

Leana said:

There's a problem with some SASE characters in DS 4.20 due to an extra character in the path to some textures. Older versions of DS used to ignore that character but 4.20 doesn't.

The PA is aware and said they'd update the characters, not sure if some of the fixes are already available. In the mean time you can fix the presets yourself if you need:

thanks, i did that and everything seems to load properly now.

a few other PA's characters came up too, which also got fixed (Imogen, Evlin, Rozy, Sheridan)

clivewil2 said:

just for the record, i've never used 'Connect the application', but i figured maybe i was using 'Connect the service', as DS sometimes echoes something about receiving data from Connect. but i never installed Connect.

You are talking about DAZ Central - DAZ Connect is the one inside DS and doesn't require any installation, the only thing it needs is the user logging in to DS.

If you do not have any folders named "1_XXXXX", you have dodged the bullet so far.

Good to hear that the SASE problem was solved.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737

PerttiA said:

Ok, the first problem is having "I:\DAZ_3D\Applications\Data\Daz 3D\My Daz 3D Library" specified under all three "Daz Connect Data", DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" as that makes any and all DAZ Connect installation "nested" directories, which DS does not like - DAZ Connect does not use the same locations for content installations as DIM/DAZ Central/Manual installations do.

No, the Connect library is meant to be the folder that cotnains the data folder, as with any other kind of content directory - the CMS handles the extra /data/cloud/1_SKU/ part of the path so that it is never seen by other parts of the system.

To get some kind of idea, how much content you have installed by DAZ Connect, navigate to "I:\DAZ_3D\Applications\Data\Daz 3D\My Daz 3D Library\Data\Cache\" How many folders do you have there named "1_XXXXX"? (XXXXX is the SKU number of the products)

SKU for Welda is 78953 and the name of the folder should be "1_78953" if it was installed with DAZ Connect.

PerttiA said:

You are talking about DAZ Central

aha! right you are. that's the one i was told to avoid.

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

No, the Connect library is meant to be the folder that cotnains the data folder, as with any other kind of content directory - the CMS handles the extra /data/cloud/1_SKU/ part of the path so that it is never seen by other parts of the system.

But if the same path is specified for DAZ Connect Data as well as DAZ Studio Formats, the Connect installed files reside also in the DAZ Studio Formats Data folder - Not a good idea, if not otherwise, it will make troubleshooting more difficult, especially over the forums.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 468

Leana said:

Over the past several weeks, I’ve been uninstalling and reinstalling content that generate pop-up windows in Daz Studio because one or more files cannot be found.  I’m usually given the option of locating the missing file, skipping the missing file, or not looking for any additional missing files. The missing files issue was caused in large part by how I manually installed a lot of content from Renderosity or old content from the Daz store, Runtime DNA or Content Paradise.  In most cases, the missing files were not missing from my computer but in a location other than where the file for the product expected them to be.  Reinstalling content exactly as organized in the product zip folder solved that issue.

In a few cases, the content files had a path that stated with double forward slashes (“// …) instead on one (“/ …) but several had paths that would never work in Daz Studio, such as “/Download/Runtime/textures/ …” because there was no such directory path.  Initially, I created the bad directory path and moved folders and files into it to resolve the issue.  Lately, though, I have chosen to open the offending product file in Notepad and correct those lines in the file to the actual location of the folder/file.

In one product file, there was an extra space before the word Runtime in the referenced file path – something like “ …/ Runtime/…” instead of “ …/Runtime/…”.  I removed the missing space from each of the several lines that contained it and that solved the issue for that product.

The most annoying case, though, was the one I encountered yesterday with a product file from a major Daz3D vendor (more than 150 products in the store) that I bought in December 2020.  It came with separate installers for Daz and for Poser.  The Daz scene file opened in Daz Studio with no issues.  The Poser scene file kept throwing missing file pop-up windows for textures and bump map files when I tried to open it in Daz Studio.  I had to correct more than 100 offending lines in the 64 Mb scene file.  All of those lines began with “"D:/Users/John/Documents/Poser Pro 2012 Content/Runtime/Textures/ …”

PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

But if the same path is specified for DAZ Connect Data as well as DAZ Studio Formats, the Connect installed files reside also in the DAZ Studio Formats Data folder - Not a good idea, if not otherwise, it will make troubleshooting more difficult, especially over the forums.

It's true that the files will be found regardless as long as their parent folder is set as a Daz Studio Content Directory, but if no files are being installed through Connect its actual location is not crucial and in any event I have had no issues with using the same folder for both installation methods - there is no overlap in paths used within the content directory.

• I had the same issue where loading from Genisis 9 Figure from Daz3d UI wasn't working.
    I went to the folder where "Genesis 9.duf" file was present, double clicked it and it opened.

easyscraping said:

I had the same issue where loading from Genisis 9 Figure from Daz3d UI wasn't working.
    I went to the folder where "Genesis 9.duf" file was present, double clicked it and it opened.

Which strongly suggests the installed-through-Connect-and-then-the-files-were-deleted-or-the-directory-was-changed scenario, as discussed above.