4.20 Causing BSOD

Upgraded to 4.20 a couple of days back.

Virtually every render that I attempt is resulting in a BSOD with the error code "clock_watchdog_timeout", which apparently references a cpu problem.

System specs:

i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz,

32gb ram

RTX 3060 12gb

Updated W11

All drivers fully updated (nvidia driver was a clean install)

I have never experienced this error until 4.20, & no other software causes it.

Any suggestions other than uninstalling 4.20?

Comments

• There are so many possible issues here.  I would start with display drivers, then move on to motherboard drivers, then perhaps to motherboard bios/firmware (if you're comfortable with that kind of thing).  I would do a CPU performance test - something designed to make it HOT (AVX512 tests are good for that) and maybe a memtest too.  Your CPU cooler may need reseating, though probably not if it's a commercial build (they soak test them so things like thermal paste shouldn't be an issue).

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

Too many variables, too many updates (DS/GPU drivers/OS/CPU) - The latest is not necessarily the best working and most compatible, that's why the updates should be done in stages one at a time.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Narrowing it down because no other software causes it is not the best idea.

Firstly, Studio doesn't run on it's own.

What does the error code from your BSOD tell you?

Studio does, however, use more resources than most for many users; in other words it taxes systems, which can highlight problems with sytems.

What sort of Clean Install? Nvidia clean or DDU clean?

Are there reports of issues relating to the driver you're using.

clock_watchdog_timeout", which apparently references a cpu problem.

Seriously, a CPU problem and you're blaming Studio?

In all honesty, it could be related to Studio - but as others have said, too many variables. I would look at finding out if the CPU problem the error code indicates is a red herring or not.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest for it to be Studio related though, there is a software or hardware issue that Studio accesses. (I hate going out on limbs tho.)

• edited May 2022

nicstt said:

Narrowing it down because no other software causes it is not the best idea.

Firstly, Studio doesn't run on it's own.

What does the error code from your BSOD tell you?

Studio does, however, use more resources than most for many users; in other words it taxes systems, which can highlight problems with sytems.

What sort of Clean Install? Nvidia clean or DDU clean?

Are there reports of issues relating to the driver you're using.

clock_watchdog_timeout", which apparently references a cpu problem.

Seriously, a CPU problem and you're blaming Studio?

Yes, I'm blaming Studio because the issue only started after upgrading to 4.20, & Studio is the only software that causes it.

In all honesty, it could be related to Studio - but as others have said, too many variables. I would look at finding out if the CPU problem the error code indicates is a red herring or not.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest for it to be Studio related though, there is a software or hardware issue that Studio accesses. (I hate going out on limbs tho.)

I run plenty of other very demanding software on this PC - 3D rendering, fractal generators, MSFS, & none of them have ever caused any issues, so I do not believe that it is hardware  related.

Thanks for the help so far - I'll continue looking for a solution.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862

Different applications may stress the system in different  ways, but it does sound as if you have a marginal hardware issue that shows up in some Daz Studio actions. This really isn't a fault in the software, it may be the proximate but is not the underlying cause of your problems.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited May 2022

If you look on google this seems usually resolved by turning off the ram overclock, or by lowering the ram clock. You may also have a defective ram module that only shows when stressed. It may be that 4.20 with the new iray is stressing the hardware "better" than previous versions.

Post edited by Padone on