Why Clear New Scene When Adding a Character?

dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

When I add any G3 or G8 character to a new scene, DS clears the scene/deletes objects. Why does it waste time doing it? Is it a bug?

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

There are so many things that DS does that don't make sense...  but you're right, this particular bug has been getting worse.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thanks @Cybersox. I'll report it.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

It's not especially a bug, just good house keeping really. But you could Alt drag into the scene I suppose and add too the scene.  I think it's with a figure selected and you Ctrl click or double click, it replaces it.

What's a semi bug, and a definite annoyance, is when you freshly open DS & then go to open a file, it asks you if you want to save changes to your scene. 

Your non-existant scene.  The one you made no changes to 'cuz you never made the scene in the first place.

But that you HAVE to respond to the requestor.

Doc Acme said:

It's not especially a bug, just good house keeping really. But you could Alt drag into the scene I suppose and add too the scene.  I think it's with a figure selected and you Ctrl click or double click, it replaces it.

What's a semi bug, and a definite annoyance, is when you freshly open DS & then go to open a file, it asks you if you want to save changes to your scene. 

Your non-existant scene.  The one you made no changes to 'cuz you never made the scene in the first place.

Thanks Doc Acme. Strange that Customer Service couldn't duplicate the problem, so I'll need to send them a video. I'll try Alt-click.
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844

Chances are you aren't loading a Character Preset, they are more likely to be Scene files.

The problem is likely to be either the people making the character don't know how to add Geo-Grafts to a Character Preset, or the character comes with Strand Based Hair

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

Doc Acme said:

It isn't necessarily a bug. If the scene has been changed (by having something set to load on start up or new scene, or by having the Viewport set to Filamanet or Iray Drawstyle so that it creates the settings nodes) then it is properly asking if you want to save changes. Still annoying, I realise, but it is doing what it should if those or other similar conditions apply.

edited May 2022
    Richard, it happens right after opening Daz Studio. So no changes to the new scene, and Texture Shaded is the drawstyle.
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited May 2022

dawnblade said:

When I add any G3 or G8 character to a new scene, DS clears the scene/deletes objects. Why does it waste time doing it? Is it a bug?

I am confused, I load characters all the time and have never had DS reset or clear a scene. How are you adding characters? from the characters section or are these saved characters? Also, if it is a NEW scene, there should be any objects to delete.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339
    edited May 2022

It's always done it that way for me. Always says this in dialogue box, even on empty scene

Untitled-1.jpg
    1737 x 1039 - 461K
    Post edited by RL_Media on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,451
    edited May 2022

FSMCDesigns said:

dawnblade said:

I am confused, I load characters all the time and have never had DS reset or clear a scene. How are you adding characters? from the characters section or are these saved characters? Also, if it is a NEW scene, there should be any objects to delete.

Does the same with me. (claims to be clearing the scene and deleting objects)

My default scene is completely empty, no lights, no camera, no HDR, no nothing. 

Post edited by PerttiA on
    RL_Media said:

It's always done it that way for me. Always says this in dialogue box, even on empty scene

Yep, That's what I get too.

dawnblade said:

I load them from the characters section, and it is a new scene, right after DS opens.

Ah! now I see what you mean

Afaik DS4 has always done that when you load a DSON asset into an empty scene, it could be a "failsafe" to make sure RAM is cleared, but only the dev team will really know.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

I see what you are saying now, but it is just dialogue. if you have objects in the scene before loading the figure, it does not delete them, at least not for me.

Bejaymac said:

Ah! now I see what you mean

Afaik DS4 has always done that when you load a DSON asset into an empty scene, it could be a "failsafe" to make sure RAM is cleared, but only the dev team will really know.

Thanks, that could possibly be the case. I don't recall this happening in prior versions of DS 4 though. It wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't take so long for figures to load anyway. I guess I shouldn't have bought so many morphs. :) I'll update this post when I get another response from them.

I see what you are saying now, but it is just dialogue. if you have objects in the scene before loading the figure, it does not delete them, at least not for me.

That is a good workaround, thanks! I'll just add a primitive or simple prop first.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,451

dawnblade said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That is a good workaround, thanks! I'll just add a primitive or simple prop first.

That does work, the dialogue does not show "Clearing the scene... Deleting objects...", but doesn't speed up loading the figure.

An other thing I noticed... When it does show those, it also writes "Scene cleared" into the log.

PerttiA said:

dawnblade said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That does work, the dialogue does not show "Clearing the scene... Deleting objects...", but doesn't speed up loading the figure.

An other thing I noticed... When it does show those, it also writes "Scene cleared" into the log.

Thanks, saw that in the log file too. I sent it to them along with a video they requested. Daz recommended Screencast-O-Matic, and the free version worked fine. To me it seemed the character loaded a little faster when I had a primitive in the scene.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

dawnblade said:

Richard, it happens right after opening Daz Studio. So no changes to the new scene, and Texture Shaded is the drawstyle.

It doesn't matter whether you've just booted DS or not. As stated, it happens because you aren't loading a character, you are loading a scene (most likely). Hover your mouse pointer over the icon for that character and it will tell you what you are loading. Chances are it will say 'Scene', which means one scene is trying to replace another scene and why it tries to clear the current one, even if it's empty. I had this same confusion when I first started using DS.

If you want to avoid it, you can load the scene/character you want, then save it as a scene subset with every option ticked. Or as a character preset and individual items, depending on what you're trying to load. That should do the job I think. smiley

lwaves said:

dawnblade said:

It doesn't matter whether you've just booted DS or not. As stated, it happens because you aren't loading a character, you are loading a scene (most likely). Hover your mouse pointer over the icon for that character and it will tell you what you are loading. Chances are it will say 'Scene', which means one scene is trying to replace another scene and why it tries to clear the current one, even if it's empty. I had this same confusion when I first started using DS.

If you want to avoid it, you can load the scene/character you want, then save it as a scene subset with every option ticked. Or as a character preset and individual items, depending on what you're trying to load. That should do the job I think. smiley

The OP got a response back from CS, it's basically what I said it might be, a "failsafe" check DS4 does when you load a DSON asset into an empty scene, it's just DS4's way to make sure it is an actual empty scene.

Doesn't happen if there is something already in the scene, just when it's empty.

Bejaymac said:

lwaves said:

dawnblade said:

The OP got a response back from CS, it's basically what I said it might be, a "failsafe" check DS4 does when you load a DSON asset into an empty scene, it's just DS4's way to make sure it is an actual empty scene.

Doesn't happen if there is something already in the scene, just when it's empty.

Looks like my post was taken down, probably because I quoted customer service. I should have known better. Anyway, you were right, thanks. It's not considered a bug. Thanks All for your help!
  • lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

Bejaymac said:

lwaves said:

dawnblade said:

Ah okay. At least they got an official response, along with all of ours. Cheers for the info.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,740
    edited May 2022

I read this, this morning and when I opened two computers to download new products, I tried on one to 'Merge' the new character Memphis for G8M into the scene. It still needed to clear the scene and about 9 minutes to load the character. On the other computer, I loaded the suggested primitive, a sphere, and then clicked on Memphis and it took less than 2 minutes. Now, I have no idea if this will help with the females or not, but I thought I would share, for what it is worth.

Edit to add: An 8.1 Female took 5 minutes.

Post edited by memcneil70 on