VRAM Issue (Rendering)

Hello, there.

I hope y'all doing good.

So, I had GTX 1660TI which is 6GB of VRAM and obviously when trying to render some bigger scenes I had some issues, but recently I have upgraded to RTX 3080TI which is 12GB.. I'm doing a render in front of a building with 4 figures. I have reduced everything possible (which I know that it can be reduced), also I am using the "Scene Optimizer" and I divided everything by 4. Doesn't matter what I do it's still taking 3 minutes to process the render and then it just cancel it. Inside the "log" it always says "Unable to allocate 8.184 GiB from 4.491 GiB of available device memory​". My question is am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else that I have to change somewhere? I know how people are rendering scenes with more than 4 figures inside with lower VRAM. When I'm rendering the same scene with only 2 characters there is no issues at all, it takes roughly 15-20 minutes or so. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Do you have anything else open using VRAM, like a game or something?  If you have a render window open from a previous attempt, that means that Iray is still holding all that stuff in memory so that you can extend render time or whatever and continue rendering.

In any case, DS/Iray sometimes don't clear memory.  Shutting down Daz Studio, and waiting for it to do its post-shutdown memory clean-up, and then restarting usually clears that up.

• Hey, thank you for your response.

I don't have anything else opened that can use VRAM, even I have my task manager always open as well with HW. Couple of times restarted DAZ before I start rendering and it is still the same. Double-checked characters subdivision levels are reduced to minimum and I even deleted some things of the building. Still can't manage to render this.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,647

Have you any dForce (SBH) hair on any of your characters? That can also require a lot of geometry.

• No content used from dForce.

You said you could render the scene with 2 characters. Try to measure your VRAM usage with Task Manager or GPU-Z, and see how high it goes.

• Thank you for your reply. So what happened. After many tries (Don't know how, becuase I changed literally nothing), but I was able to successfully render the scene without any issues :O. After it was successfully rendered, I closed DAZ and decided to try again literally the same scene. Guess what happened? Yup not enough memory :D I have closed daz with Task Manager started DAZ and loaded the SAME scene. Can't render it 2 times now... Don't know what is going on. Nothing is running on my background.

edited July 2022

Try to look at your VRAM usage before starting DS, when the scene is loaded and when you start rendering.

It sounds like you have borderline enough VRAM, and smoething else might be the tipping point.

If the characters is closed you can hide bodyparts, by expanding them in the scene tab and click the eye-icon for the bones you want to hide. Then these parts won't be sent to the renderer.

Post edited by felis on
  • Thank you for that advice. As I mentioned above I had the same issues when I was with the 1660TI but that was more understandable, however I believe there is something to do with "Killing the process" so the VRAM can become "free" after the render. If it makes any sense.

• Managed to fix it. You can close the topic, thank you very much.

• s_j_gregorys_j_gregory Posts: 103

Perhaps related or maybe I should have a different thread.  I have an RTX 2070.  I am very familiar with renders defaulting back to the CPU; but recently I have been encountering crashes.  I tried looking at the Windows 'crash log' but didn't see anything there.  But what I found at the end of my DAZ Studio log file was about 300 'NUL' statements.  Has anyone seen that before or know what it is telling me.  Thanks in advance.  

If you are talking about a windows crash caused by DS, then I would guess either you are running out of RAM, or your powersupply has given up.

• vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 112

masonblackf said:

... I know how people are rendering scenes with more than 4 figures inside with lower VRAM.

Maybe those people have more RAM

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

vectorinus said:

masonblackf said:

... I know how people are rendering scenes with more than 4 figures inside with lower VRAM.

Maybe those people have more RAM

Yep, one should have at least about three times the amount of VRAM

Good old lady RAM. Everyone is trying to jump her ;-)
  • rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

masonblackf said:

Managed to fix it. You can close the topic, thank you very much.

Before asking to close the topic, mabe you could explain how you managed to fix your problem, could be helpful for others. Thank you!

• Hello, yeah sorry about that. So I saw the previous comments, as I mentioned I have 12GB of VRAM and 32GB of RAM. So I don't believe this would be a problem :D. Anyway what I did to fix my issue was to remove the characters from the scene and "merge" them to the scene again, after the DAZ was restarted. Then without even changing the subdivision levels of the characters I was able to complete my render how it supposed to be (with 4 characters).

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358

rosseliani said:

masonblackf said:

Before asking to close the topic, mabe you could explain how you managed to fix your problem, could be helpful for others. Thank you!

We don't close threads just becaues they were solved so no worries there.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

frank0314 said:

rosseliani said:

masonblackf said:

We don't close threads just becaues they were solved so no worries there.

Thank you Frank and mods!

Yes, thanks to masonblackf for fighting to the end. For finding a solution and describing it. And also for drawing our attention to the problem of the RAM size, which is important not only for rendering, but also for the normal functioning of the entire computer.