Eyes in renders

Hi everyone, I'm here for a little help, I'm looking for some advice regarding the eyes, in all my renderings the eyes are not very visible, especially in renderings where the model is far from the lens due to a full body render, i have also tried to add pointlights to the eyes but unfortunately i hate the effect because it compromises the other lights and shadows, and the point is that even if i can try to make them look ''better'' they're not like in the preview, the result is too ''cartoonish'' and not much realistic, the eyes i currently use are G8 or G8.1, but the problem is always that lil visible or cartoonish effect, could you give me some advice to avoid or improve this problem, please? i also tried to add the reflection to the eyes, nothing has changed.

Comments

• Are you saying that they are not lit well, or is there some other problem?

If it's lighting, you may want to experiment with simulating a photographic reflector, where you have a light pointing at the face from a slightly different angle than the main light to soften or eliminate shadows.

If you have an example render to post, that would be helpful.

• Not sure about G8.1, but imo the G8 base eyes are way too dark. More often than not, I find many of the characters from the G8 line have eyes that are too dark, too light, and/or lack appropriate detail on the textures, particularly for the Sclera surface. I've found that many of Mousso's characters have the best default eye textures + settings. Another thing you want to check is the Cornea & other surfaces on the eye that use water or thin water(they typically won't have any textures on them except for maybe a bump map and/or normal map) as this can cause the textured surfaces underneath to appear too dark or light.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

Can't tell what you mean, you have to post examples.

• Chezjuan said:

Are you saying that they are not lit well, or is there some other problem?

If it's lighting, you may want to experiment with simulating a photographic reflector, where you have a light pointing at the face from a slightly different angle than the main light to soften or eliminate shadows.

If you have an example render to post, that would be helpful.

I've never thought about this, but it makes sense... would it be as simple as creating a plane, adding a reflective texture, angling the plane just so, and then aiming a spotlight at it? Or would one be better off with simulating that effect by placing a spotlight at just the right angle and intensity? 

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505

Blando Calrissian said:

I've never thought about this, but it makes sense... would it be as simple as creating a plane, adding a reflective texture, angling the plane just so, and then aiming a spotlight at it? Or would one be better off with simulating that effect by placing a spotlight at just the right angle and intensity? 

Personally, I either use a spotlight, ghost light, or simple emissive plane (if it won't be in the camera's view). It's easier than trying to get the reflections right (though that may be a fun thing to try at some point).