Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

IceCrMn said:

That's not fair to the people that preordered at the higher price.

Someone from Daz needs to address this.

Agreed.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I am sure it is addressed in the FAQ.  surprise

• the FAQ comes together with the complete manuals wink

• AllenArt said:

IceCrMn said:

Agreed.

This was not the intent nad has now been fixed. Sorry.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

Thank you Richard.

Richard Haseltine said:

AllenArt said:

IceCrMn said:

Agreed.

This was not the intent nad has now been fixed. Sorry.

Thank you.

• AllenArt said:

Some of the things you mention (like soft body physics) are probably better implemented in the software rather than the figure. Maybe when DS5 is released?

That is a common belief.

Reality is Softbody physics needs more bones/weights, which are part of the figure.   So then the weighted mesh can deform. 

Software is step 2.  Provides the instructions for how the figure/mesh are deformed.  But needs figure weights first in place.

Anything else would require a level of innovation that does not exist so far.   Though i like to be surprised angel, the Odds of a surprise are very miniscule, especially given DAZ scale & resources. 

• @wendyluvsCatz

thkx by the way in other thread (think it was G8 relevance vs new G9), where you posted about Carrara and bullet physics.  My previous post was so long, that forgot to thank you for that. Was a good tidbit.  Never knew that being still fairly new to DAZ (less than 4 years).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

AllenArt said:

IceCrMn said:

Agreed.

It's been in my cart from Day 1 and is still the same $78 & change as from Day 1

• Saxa -- SD said:

AllenArt said:

Some of the things you mention (like soft body physics) are probably better implemented in the software rather than the figure. Maybe when DS5 is released?

That is a common belief.

Reality is Softbody physics needs more bones/weights, which are part of the figure.   So then the weighted mesh can deform. 

Software is step 2.  Provides the instructions for how the figure/mesh are deformed.  But needs figure weights first in place.

Anything else would require a level of innovation that does not exist so far.   Though i like to be surprised angel, the Odds of a surprise are very miniscule, especially given DAZ scale & resources. 

That sounds like fake soft body physics, using a single bone or bone chain with springs to mimic the effect (frequently in a highly exaggerated manner, from what I have seen). True soft body physics requires a way to model volumes, calculate the forces and constraints upon them, and derive their distortions over time. That would require new code ("dForce rebound" or the like).

• Dumb question, but does V9 come with the V9 Bundle or do you have to buy both the bundle and V9 to get the character? Thanks in advance.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

Calliope23 said:

Dumb question, but does V9 come with the V9 Bundle or do you have to buy both the bundle and V9 to get the character? Thanks in advance.

V9 should be part of the preorder bundle.

• Thank you for your response, Leana. smiley I don't know if my comp is powerful enough for V9 but I am a sucker for new and shiny, so I decided to at least give it a try.

• SnowSultan said:

Can someone remind me why normal and displacement maps aren't a suitable replacement for HD details? Based on the few that I own, I feel like I could get more detail out of a very high resolution normal/displacement map exported from Zbrush. 

edit: I said morphs before, and I do notice HD expression morphs (although I don't like them, they make everyone look old). For skin detail or such though, I'd like to know why HD morphs are better. Thanks.

For one thing, you can only use one of each type of map per surface. I can use Artist A's nipple morphs and Artist B's rib morphs on the same figure; with maps, I have to pick one or the other. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

murgatroyd314 said:

SnowSultan said:

Can someone remind me why normal and displacement maps aren't a suitable replacement for HD details? Based on the few that I own, I feel like I could get more detail out of a very high resolution normal/displacement map exported from Zbrush. 

edit: I said morphs before, and I do notice HD expression morphs (although I don't like them, they make everyone look old). For skin detail or such though, I'd like to know why HD morphs are better. Thanks.

For one thing, you can only use one of each type of map per surface. I can use Artist A's nipple morphs and Artist B's rib morphs on the same figure; with maps, I have to pick one or the other. 

well technically you could use the layered image editor  

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Good point, I guess a lot will depend on whether new HD morphs add actual fine detail or behave more like the current HD morphs (which appear to me more like watered-down high-res normal/displacements).

• Richard Haseltine said:

That sounds like fake soft body physics, using a single bone or bone chain with springs to mimic the effect (frequently in a highly exaggerated manner, from what I have seen). True soft body physics requires a way to model volumes, calculate the forces and constraints upon them, and derive their distortions over time. That would require new code ("dForce rebound" or the like).

In today's 3D world, what your post labels as "fake" physics is - what is available today - still.  
    Arguably it can give "true" physics a real run for the money.  Users decide.
    Is auto-calculated.
    In fact can look pretty darn good arguably.  
    Yes, absolutely can be exaggerated greatly, and some love that (user choice), but doesn't mean it has to be.
    And can facilitate very variable responses for every different body part, if set up.
    Especially compared to making endless morphs and dialing them in which is not time-friendly at all.

Agree real (true) physics is the next step.  Is what i referred to as the next innovation in my 1st post in this thread.  
    When that comes who knows?  Have heard nothing about that.  
    If anyone has heard something, post it please. Would be so grateful.

So would argue the "fake" system, that some may call it, is actually a pretty good compromise. User decides how realistic or exaggerated they want.
    And may be the system for years going forward.

Would say, just like the Genesis iterations and V-generations before, it's all about iterations and gradual improvement.
    And I support not worrying about achieving perfection first like "true" physics, before releasing a version.

Am saying this because developing a true physics system that allows huge variabity is no small task.  
    It's huge and requires physics fans.
    If the current bullet systems was not user-friendly, I wouldn't bother anyone with posting this.

With current bullet physics, the mesh can be affected by multiple bones and weights all controlled extensively by xml documents where tons of options can exist to define movement, like spring speed, distance, sensitivity etc.
    The fact multiple bones (each can be made with different settings) can control a mesh through that xml makes it a pretty good compromise for any craftsperson.

And indeed saleable as a DAZ product for end-users.  Lots of different xmls with quick easy labels for end-users to plug in.

Not a fan of Havok.
    Bullet physics was inherently better with mesh weights variable and much simpler yet more variables defineable in much simpler xml format.

Also, nice to see someone provide an interesting statement on physics.
    To me, future figures will be tied to physics.
    Question is when and who.
    And what form will that take.

"dForce rebound" is a cool name.  
    Though, am skeptical that dforce will allow the level of customization for variable body parts having totally different physics responses.
    Though admittedly that skepticism ties in more with DAZ's committment to developing all this in house.

dForce weights may work for one aspect, but there is still the matter of different spring types/movements/ranges.  
    One thing i do find interesting is the volume preservation aspect.  Bullet physics has this as well in a way, but could be improved.
    Also "dF rebound", how to adjust this and make it easily changeable/editable?  Bullet physics xmls can be a dream to edit pretty much everything.

Also dforce is slow.  Not realtime.  
    Not sure where the issue is there to be exact.
    And in timeline still can't save a snapshot of vert deforms. Which shows DAZ still has other priorities ATM.
    Instead have to morph (thank you for the millionth time PA: Riversoft for dF2Morph).

So to me the current physics bullet system is still superior in reality and theory to any potential "dForce Rebound".  Love to be proven wrong soon (TM).
    And bullet physics exists as a pretty good iteration.  Today.
    That said, freely admit, am not up on current situation.  Because have other focuses atm.

Anyway, please excuse the long reply, but felt it was needed as a longer discussion to highlight "fake" vs "true" and "today" vs "some time in future - maybe".  
    And could have proabably edited this post for more brevity and organization, but RL is calling, so this draft will have to do sadly.

To wrap this overly-long post up, would prefer more an iterative approach to physics, like Genesis.
    Cause it could be a long time before "true" physics that is highly customizable is actually made.
    Heck, for example, speaking of iterations, we're back to uni-mesh again with G9. 

• I hope there is an update to the Face Transfer Utility for G9, I'd like to see what that could do!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

kevindmccoy_313efcf192 said:

I hope there is an update to the Face Transfer Utility for G9, I'd like to see what that could do!

What really should be much improved is Face Gen Artist Pro whose prior exports from FenGen to Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, and Genesis 8 were noticably reduced in polygon resolution because the DAZ models didn't have it to now much more equitable polygon counts between the two. 

No ideal if that will involve buying an upgrade to FaceGen Artist Pro though. In the past, it's been all free upgrades (which is probably a boone folr sales but won't be when market saturation is reached).

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

I resisted the Genesis 8.1 characters because I had a feeling Genesis 9 would come around in short order. It appears I was right. Also, I fail to see the logic of preordering something, sight unseen. What is the incentive here?

• Make sure the PAs are encouraged to finish the outfits etc to be coming out about the same time :-)

• marth_emarth_e Posts: 172

So, it seems still no proper IK unless that would be some of the new features Daz Studio has to offer. But for the moment, no mention about it. So frustrating. Is it really that hard to make Daz Studio figures really have an IK system that works as it is meant to be?

• marth_e said:

So, it seems still no proper IK unless that would be some of the new features Daz Studio has to offer. But for the moment, no mention about it. So frustrating. Is it really that hard to make Daz Studio figures really have an IK system that works as it is meant to be?

Changes to IK would primarily be a Daz Studio feature, not a Genesis figure feature.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

Can some one explain what come's with G9 Base.

- Do we finally get HD morphs & tools to build new genesis figures as community or is the HD morph stuff PA only "again"?

- Do we get Gen included in base V9 or only in pro bundle? I prefer a full complet figure, without clothes and hair i mostly don't need or find somewhere else.

- Do we need to buy external morphs for muscles and new bone rig or will there a muscle & bodyphysics system in dazstudio 5?

Fixme12 said:

- Do we finally get HD morphs & tools to build new genesis figures as community or is the HD morph stuff PA only "again"?

- Do we get Gen included in base V9 or only in pro bundle? I prefer a full complet figure, without clothes and hair i mostly don't need or find somewhere else.

- Do we need to buy external morphs for muscles and new bone rig or will there a muscle & bodyphysics system in dazstudio 5?

We don't know any of that yet. Only Daz knows.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

Fixme12 said:

Ability to create HD morphs would bea feature of DS, not of the figures. Nothing has been said by Daz so far about that.

The gens have only been included in bundles since Genesis 1 and I doubt it will change (I might be wrong though).

Daz Studio 5 is not coming at the same time as G9, and no one beside the people working on the project knows what's included in it (beside changing the version of Qt framework).

• AllenArt said:

Padone said:

@PixelSploiting As I see it the nipples and navel for G9 will be made with HD, thus will be available only with figures on the daz store. Sure you can use geografts instead, but consider that geografts will lose the HD details when mixed with HD figures. Also having to use geografts to get the basic body features is a nonsense, I agree with @PerttiA on this.

@Leana The G9 unimesh is very limited in body features topology, so non-HD figures will be of restricted use. Essentially while G1-G81 can preserve the basic body features with the base mesh, G9 can't and needs HD for that.

The fact that there will be merchant resource hd morphs in the store confirms what you've been saying. You'll need them to base any morphs you make off of, because those contain the morphs not present in the base mesh. I don't know if they'll be available generally to the rest of us or ONLY PA's, but from the copy I've read so far, it states that they are for the Daz PA's. Talk about cutting the other sites off at the knees....

There is already a set of merchant resource HD morphs in the store, for G8 if I recall correctly. I returned them to the store because one needs to have the PA tool in order to make changes in them.

• Leana said:

The gens have only been included in bundles since Genesis 1 and I doubt it will change (I might be wrong though).

The critical question here is whether they are included in the preorder bundle. If they aren't, then buyers of the preorder bundle will have to either buy the pro bundle as well, or wait for another character with a pro bundle. 

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

murgatroyd314 said:

Leana said:

The critical question here is whether they are included in the preorder bundle. If they aren't, then buyers of the preorder bundle will have to either buy the pro bundle as well, or wait for another character with a pro bundle. 

I hope not, that would be really how is a forum friendly way to say it?  Not smart anyways.

I bought the bundle, and would definitely return it if it doesn't turn out to be the pro bundle.  I think many other customers would too, and sour a LOT of customers on any idea of future pre-orders.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

Gator said:

murgatroyd314 said:

Leana said:

I hope not, that would be really how is a forum friendly way to say it?  Not smart anyways.

I bought the bundle, and would definitely return it if it doesn't turn out to be the pro bundle.  I think many other customers would too, and sour a LOT of customers on any idea of future pre-orders.

I posted this earlier also.

If the preorder bundle doesn't include all the necessary geographs,morphs,,etc,etc to have an anatomically complete female character when it's released it will be the last G9 product I ever buy.

I would also want a refund.