Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• I have a hard time with Expression and geoshell,geograft products not working when I change generations.
    Perhaps G9 will not change that.
    I'll wait and see for a while until that is resolved.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569
    edited September 2022

I fully understand that it was not demo'ed yesterday, but will there be anatomical elements on the same reality level as the G9 sculpt and textures? Male clothing looks kind of wierd sometimes because of very "empty" pants. 

Post edited by Mark_e593e0a5 on
  • I really like the idea that geometry is cross gender, PA will make less but focued products, users only need to buy one product for all instead of for both genders. Nice improvement.  

Hope G9 won't be a system resource hog, even with the fastest PC hardware money can buy, load up scene with a couple G8/8.1 takes an eternity, let's see how that 8k texture and new UV map fair.   

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    edited September 2022

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

I fully understand that it was not demo'ed yesterday, but will there be anatomical elements on the same reality level as the G9 sculpt and textures? Male clothing looks kind of wierd sometimes because of very "empty" pants. 

that is the last reason why male clothing on Daz store looks weird.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • SDevSDev Posts: 158

... and now we have to wait for the 4090TI with 48GB VRam :P 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited September 2022

outrider42 said:

The unified sex is actually pretty simple if you look at what they did. The base Genesis 9 is neither male or female. It is halfway between. So the shift to full female or full male is not as jarring as it was from the original Genesis 1 shape, since either way the PA goes for clothing they are halfway there!

Kind of brilliant to be honest.

See, I am not always a negative Nancy! I call it how I see it.

As for textures guys, Scene Optimizer has been around since 2017. 

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

It can automate the whole thing for you. Aside from that, I used to the Power Toys add on for Windows that can resize textures wholesale in a flash. You can save them as new files or overwrite the originals. Just overwrite the originals and boom, it is done. The tool was so fast that I could do entire folders with dozens of textures in seconds. And this was when I had a 4690k, not anything special. How easy is it to use? How does right clicking sound? The Power Toy menu is added to your right click. That's it. You can highlight a few textures or highlight them all, and right click. Select the size and quality. It really is a fun tool! It has other fun tools as well, which you can pick to use or not, like "Always on Top" and "Text Extractor".

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/image-resizer

Just look at how easy and fast this is.

Okay, so how does one download this resizer? I tried the + link, that wanted me to sign in first, so okay, I signed in. That wasn't good enough, next it wanted to play some kind of cat and mouse game to find out if I'd ever had another account there. AND that they would be tracking everything about how their utility there was going to be used. For a powertoy, toy, this is ridiculous. They also wanted a user name which would be publically visible, to download something? Again, why and not happening. So unless I totally missed some detail, there are no download buttons for these powertoys.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited September 2022

bluejaunte said:

Hotaru0124_071fd6e4c1 said:

I already can't use more than a couple G8's in my scenes unless they are extremely bare bones; not even going to consider G9 until they allow Iray to use system RAM. 

If it's about the poly count, keep in mind that separate eyes and mouth help a bit with that. Previously, if you rendered at higher subdiv levels, the eyes and especially the mouth would get subdivided too and add a lot of useless polygons. This is no longer the case, you can now subdivide a character and just the skin parts (plus nails I guess) will get subdivided while eyes and mouth remain low poly.

Also don't forget, with a higher poly base mesh it doesn't automatically mean that an HD character will have more polys. You could in theory now simply sculpt on a lower subdiv level for the same detail. So the end result might not even have more polys at all. Say if a PA previously had to sculpt on sd level 4, because the base is about twice as dense now they could achieve the same level of detail at sd level 2.

Obviously we might instead just make use of the additional detail. But you can always set at what sd level you wanna render at so... I don't know why it would be an issue. You had a couple of G8 characters rendering at sd2, just set the same number of G9 ones to sd1. Problem solved. Due to separate eyes and mouth you probably then have LESS overall polygons.

If it's about 8k textures, downscale them to 4k if need be.  One 8k is like 4x 4k maps, so that is a lot but then again comparing this to some environments, is it really so bad?

I don't think this is (just) about rendering, but also how many figues you can fit in your scene for posing etc., before rendering. For me, personally, my system will slow down considerably beyond, like, 4 figures. Which is already challenging.

----

I generally don't think "just scale down all the textures in IrfanView" or "just edit the sculpt in ZBrush" is really that big an argument. A lot of DAZ success - in my opinion - is a matter of convenience. It's relatively simple to buy and install, their content loads and works (often) well out of the box. If I have to to edit a figure in 2 different way using several other pieces of software or AddOns - I'm just using a different figure. It's not like - to me, at least so far - Victoria 9 looks particularly good. If you told me this is Maelwenn's or Bluejaunte's next release for Genesis 8 I would believe you without a second thought.

I'm sure Gen9 does a few things better, but none of the proposed features so far is really much of a leap. I'm including the unfied mesh here, because we have been here before. It certainly doesn't give me much hope for the future, considering how much I hated the general look of Genesis 1 characters and clothes.

So I'm kind of doubtful how necessary this switch really is.

It is nice, though, to see DAZ adept even more cool marketing staples of the video game industry, aka the best industry. Preorders are my favorite.

Post edited by Barubary on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 639
    edited September 2022

I've not been on Daz lately. I decided to stop spending money here because I don't like their marketing practices (midnight sales, US exclusive deals and selling things without telling you what they are ). I found out about this from a YouTube recommendation and of course it's interesting.

First, here we go again. I can't understand the logic of selling something without saying what it is. That's gambling isn't it? Maybe they don't know themselves? It's the only reason I can think of.

It looks great, my system can handle it, but from reading the comments here, it's not like previous generations where there's a free base character. You have to spend money to even try it. Is that right? More stupid marketing.

If I understood correctly, I have no idea how much content will work. And my renders almost all need very high heels, which mostly come from other sites, but Daz doesn't ever worry about backwards compatibility of heels, so first, I need to buy them all again, except what will I buy? I can't adopt this until I have a wide selection of high heels that work. And if only people that spend money get G9, will other content creators support it in the way they support G8.x?

i also use morphs extensively. If the base mesh has more geometry, that's good news, although I assume only a privileged few can make HD morphs. Can I finally make pressure morphs for tight clothing? I assume I don't know without spending money because there is no Genesis 9.

So my feeling is it's great technology spoiled by greedy marketing. And ignoring heels again.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    edited September 2022

I've got to ask.... so what was the point of Genesis 8.1?

Post edited by Psyckosama on
  • It took a year or so to save up to get my current computer that I use for Daz. I can see the bright eyes of the pro-artists dance with glee as I read their comments on here. Pros who have the big GPU's and work stations. Now I've got a pretty okay rig for a hobbyist, and it does what I need it to do, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up with the 8k, and I already have thousands invested in Gen 8 and 8.1, both Daz site specific and 3rd party, assets. Very little of which, as I read in many of the comments, will be able to be carried over Gen 9, that is, until someone releases a conversion script. Not sure if my budget can handle it all.

Sorry, it's just the venting of an amateur hobbyist who buys too much and creates too little....

• Victoria 9 promos remind me so much of actress Juliene Moore.
    Julianne Moore – Google Suche

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2022

Seven193 said:

Some people may not want 8k textures, so I hope there is a tool or script to down-convert 8K to 4K.

Two main reasons why I deleted 8k and 16k HDR textures, is one, to save hard drive space (any file over 100MB is scrutinized and deleted), and two, it will most likely crash my graphics card due to its larger size.

You have my "Scene Optimizer" specially dedicated to fit in video cards huge scenes, or scenes with huge texture maps and which will do what you ask (you can choose how much you reduce the texture maps and create new lower resolution maps which are automatically applied where they should be applied on the figures and props you want to process). It was mentionned in the video presentation yesterday. If you want to delete your 8K maps, you just run the optimizer, save your figure with its new maps, and you can delete old maps.

edit : it's not the only things the optimizer does, you can also remove useless maps, store/restore original maps on given objects or surfaces, disable heavy elements, change figure resolutions,  etc, etc, and you have a few options for instances.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • AndrewJJP said:

I've not been on Daz lately. I decided to stop spending money here because I don't like their marketing practices (midnight sales, US exclusive deals and selling things without telling you what they are ). I found out about this from a YouTube recommendation and of course it's interesting.

First, here we go again. I can't understand the logic of selling something without saying what it is. That's gambling isn't it? Maybe they don't know themselves? It's the only reason I can think of.

It looks great, my system can handle it, but from reading the comments here, it's not like previous generations where there's a free base character. You have to spend money to even try it. Is that right? Mine stupid marketing.

If I understood correctly, I have no idea how much content will work. And my renders almost all need very high heels, which mostly come from other sites, but Daz doesn't ever worry about backwards compatibility of heels, so first, I need to buy them all again, except what will I buy? I can't adopt this until I have a wide selection of high heels that work. And if only people that spend money get G9, will other content creators support it in the way they support G8.x?

i also use morphs extensively. If the base mesh has more geometry, that's good news, although I assume only a privileged few can make HD morphs. Can I finally make pressure morphs for tight clothing? I assume I don't know without spending money because there is no Genesis 9.

So my feeling is it's great technology spoiled by greedy marketing. And ignoring heels again.

It was mentioned on the stream that it'll work like the other generations, where you have to buy Victoria but there's free base G9 content. If it's like 8.1, probably any "optional" features beyond the base functionality of the figure (like 8k textures) will come with Victoria 9. 

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

How much workarounds will I need to use in order to get Gen 8 stuff to work with it? Because otherwise, upgrading would be a bit detrimental for me

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

AndrewJJP said:

It looks great, my system can handle it, but from reading the comments here, it's not like previous generations where there's a free base character. You have to spend money to even try it. Is that right? More stupid marketing.

Victoria requires money and always has... The base figures will be free with ds4.21 is my understanding from what was said, what will be interesting is what comes with them. 

For example they showed 4 ethnics maps, will they be a product or come with the base figure? What template and morphs will be included? 

• plasma_ring said:

AndrewJJP said:

It looks great, my system can handle it, but from reading the comments here, it's not like previous generations where there's a free base character. You have to spend money to even try it. Is that right? Mine stupid marketing.

It was mentioned on the stream that it'll work like the other generations, where you have to buy Victoria but there's free base G9 content. If it's like 8.1, probably any "optional" features beyond the base functionality of the figure (like 8k textures) will come with Victoria 9. 

Thanks! It's good to know I can try it, I'm glad I misunderstood!

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited September 2022

Psyckosama said:

I've got to ask.... so what was the point of Genesis 8.1?

Prior to the announcement, I mentioned in another thread that I thought it would probably be a unified mesh figure and that if they hadn't found a way to make it backwards compatible with morphs and 8.1 content it would be a weird way to handle the rollout, since the main concern people expressed around 8.1 was, "Okay, so am I going to upgrade stuff exclusive to the new figure now and then regret it when you release G9 shortly afterward?" Given that it does not look like it would be realistic to expect a figure this different to support backwards compatibility of morphs or textures (and if it was possible I'd expect it to have been mentioned directly or clarified like it immediately was with 8.1, but please correct me if I've missed something), it sure seems like the people worried about that had very valid concerns! And the only time I've seen Daz directly address those concerns recently was to tell people G8 did what they needed it to for the foreseeable future. I don't think it was disingenuous or anything, but I think it's a weird choice to risk people feeling burned, because 8.1 actually is a valuable upgrade to 8 if you don't plan to move to G9. And unlike G3 to G8, it seems like these are figures possibly meant to serve users with different goals rather than an upgrade everyone is expected to take. A lot of what makes G9 significantly different from G8 or 8.1 appears to be geared toward making a Daz figure that's less of an outlier requiring extra steps in other programs' standard workflows.  

There are tons of people commenting that they don't think their hardware can handle G9 so they'll probably need to pass, at least for a while. I don't have any insight into what the development timeline of this figure looked like and sometimes stuff comes together faster than it's expected to, but I think if we had known the planned G9 features/compatibility limitations and hardware requirements when 8.1 came out, there would have probably been plenty of people continuing to buy 8 and 8.1 items if they could anticipate not wanting to or being able to make the leap to an entirely new figure. 

Catherine3678ab said:

Okay, so how does one download this resizer? I tried the + link, that wanted me to sign in first, so okay, I signed in. That wasn't good enough, next it wanted to play some kind of cat and mouse game to find out if I'd ever had another account there. AND that they would be tracking everything about how their utility there was going to be used. For a powertoy, toy, this is ridiculous. They also wanted a user name which would be publically visible, to download something? Again, why and not happening. So unless I totally missed some detail, there are no download buttons for these powertoys.

You can get them from Microsoft's app store here, but Microsoft does like people to have accounts with them for all their services. If you aren't comfortable messing with these I can confidently add my recommendation to the suggestions to try Scene Optimizer, which is very straightforward and will resize maps for you inside Daz Studio. It has multiple included utilities for storing texture info and restoring high res textures, but if all you want is to reduce the file sizes all you have to do is click the green script button, pick the maps you want resized and how much you want them reduced by, and click "Set Lower Resolution Maps for Elements Selected in the List." Then save and restart DS and you should see a performance improvement. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • no noseno nose Posts: 300

no nose said:

How much workarounds will I need to use in order to get Gen 8 stuff to work with it? Because otherwise, upgrading would be a bit detrimental for me

Ok after watching the reveal live stream for a bit, I guess I'll be sticking with 8 for now. While I'm sure some people will be excited for the new features, I already put in an unhealthy amount of money these past 4 years, and am not ready to do that all over again for what feels like little gain. I guess now I know how the people who are still with gen 3 are feeling.

Hopefully, at least this should mean that Gen 8 stuff will go on better sales more often.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,457

bytescapes said:

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

A 4GB VRAM card would be non-RTX, nothing much renders (in Iray) on that even now as almost all of the VRAM is taken by Windows, DS baseload, the emulation of RTX functions and the needed "Working space" with the scene also having some baseload.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited September 2022
    plasma_ring  said:          ... edit ....

Catherine3678ab said:

You can get them from Microsoft's app store here, but Microsoft does like people to have accounts with them for all their services. If you aren't comfortable messing with these I can confidently add my recommendation to the suggestions to try Scene Optimizer, which is very straightforward and will resize maps for you inside Daz Studio. It has multiple included utilities for storing texture info and restoring high res textures, but if all you want is to reduce the file sizes all you have to do is click the green script button, pick the maps you want resized and how much you want them reduced by, and click "Set Lower Resolution Maps for Elements Selected in the List." Then save and restart DS and you should see a performance improvement. 

Thank you. Oh I have account but wasn't getting to a download option - just more questions to answer like I was signing up for I don't-know-what. From the app store, on the sign-in they presented a different "username" they wanted me using so I did. Guess it matches better with whatever they're checking on my computer.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • One thing that I've seen that annoys me is that looking at what we can see of the UVs, they've basically removed all of the nipple geometry, which means that nipples are either going to be completely map based, limited to HD morphs, or require geografts.

On one hand, don't really care because Renderotica is a thing. On the other... well... it just brings forward my deep concerns  about "G9 being an HD figure out of the box" because that would potentally lock a lot of base function behind the whole PA only HD morphs ecosystem.

Ironically, I don't really care about the textures. I like cartoony figures so I'll be using lower res custom maps anyways, nor do I care about mesh density because Daz actually has been reducing poly's in its base figures since Genesis.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Psyckosama said:

One thing that I've seen that annoys me is that looking at what we can see of the UVs, they've basically removed all of the nipple geometry, which means that nipples are either going to be completely map based, limited to HD morphs, or require geografts.

On one hand, don't really care because Renderotica is a thing. On the other... well... it just brings forward my deep concerns  about "G9 being an HD figure out of the box" because that would potentally lock a lot of base function behind the whole PA only HD morphs ecosystem.

Ironically, I don't really care about the textures. I like cartoony figures so I'll be using lower res custom maps anyways, nor do I care about mesh density because Daz actually has been reducing poly's in its base figures since Genesis.

Nipples will be HD morphs and included.

You don't need a Microsoft Store account to get Powertoys

Microsoft PowerToys 

• Catherine3678ab said:

outrider42 said:

The unified sex is actually pretty simple if you look at what they did. The base Genesis 9 is neither male or female. It is halfway between. So the shift to full female or full male is not as jarring as it was from the original Genesis 1 shape, since either way the PA goes for clothing they are halfway there!

Kind of brilliant to be honest.

See, I am not always a negative Nancy! I call it how I see it.

As for textures guys, Scene Optimizer has been around since 2017. 

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

It can automate the whole thing for you. Aside from that, I used to the Power Toys add on for Windows that can resize textures wholesale in a flash. You can save them as new files or overwrite the originals. Just overwrite the originals and boom, it is done. The tool was so fast that I could do entire folders with dozens of textures in seconds. And this was when I had a 4690k, not anything special. How easy is it to use? How does right clicking sound? The Power Toy menu is added to your right click. That's it. You can highlight a few textures or highlight them all, and right click. Select the size and quality. It really is a fun tool! It has other fun tools as well, which you can pick to use or not, like "Always on Top" and "Text Extractor".

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/image-resizer

Just look at how easy and fast this is.

That's Big Brother Comrade Microsoft wanting control 

• prinzeugenprinzeugen Posts: 38
    edited September 2022

Nath said:

Since it hasn't been asked yet, how will genitalia be *ahem* handled in Gen 9? Included with bases, in bundles, ....? 

good question !

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2022

prinzeugen said:

Nath said:

Since it hasn't been asked yet, how will genitalia be *ahem* handled in Gen 9? Included with bases, in bundles, ....? 

good question !

I highly doubt that will change from how it was done for previous Genesis figures.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,436
    I foresee many nude g9 characters in my future.
  • daveso said:

I foresee many nude g9 characters in my future.

I think that's what the other 99% already do with the current figures

blush 

• Okay, I have to ask that.
    First, I have to confess that the G9 with that unimesh system looks better than I expected.
    The future will prove if the new generation can really create male-looking males and female-looking females. I had serious doubts about that, as biological there is nothing like the half-female/half-male they use as the base for Genesis 9.
    But that is not my problem.
    While it was asked in the chat of the stream if there will be gens and it was certified there will be gens coming with G9, I couldn't help but notice that the mesh had NO distinctive polygons for nipples.
    Will the new generation still have them (I am not talking about the texture) or are they removed for good (or worse, for artists who want realistic figures)?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

AbyssalEros said:

While it was asked in the chat of the stream if there will be gens and it was certified there will be gens coming with G9, I couldn't help but notice that the mesh had NO distinctive polygons for nipples.
    Will the new generation still have them (I am not talking about the texture) or are they removed for good (or worse, for artists who want realistic figures)?

From what I've read in another thread, nipples are a HD morph included with the base figure.

• I thought we'd've seen Gen 8.2 for a time before going straight to Gen 9.

Not totally sure what to make of this just yet, though starting once again from hardly anything does suck. A unified body does allow for a bit more flexibility for characters, though I thought that would be a mess for content creators given that male and female bodies and proportions are different.