Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124

Too many unknowns based on the reveal. I'm going to hold off to until the shoes drop on what will be PA-only features of the G9 ecosystem before I get too excited.

• Like many others, I'm not spending almost $80 on something without knowing what I'm buying. 

The four ethnic groups feature looks interesting to me since I would like to combine the Hispanic facial features with a Black African skin tone. I wonder if this will be possible?

Cheers,

Alex. 

• alexhcowley said:

Like many others, I'm not spending almost $80 on something without knowing what I'm buying. 

The four ethnic groups feature looks interesting to me since I would like to combine the Hispanic facial features with a Black African skin tone. I wonder if this will be possible?

Cheers,

Alex. 

My understanding was that those were part of Genesis 9, not Victoria 9, and so would be free if they were  in Starter Essentials (though it did look as if Jay also had the, presumably non-free, morph packs so we can't take that as read)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

alexhcowley said:

Like many others, I'm not spending almost $80 on something without knowing what I'm buying. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

You could do that now by putting a different texture on a character, so I don't see why not... 

• y3kman said:

Ok, I'll gonna be that guy. Since the store already has mature filters, will Daz post nude renders of  the Genesis  9 figures? Buying figures and getting unwanted body hair, tan lines, mismatched torso and genital txtures, etc. is extremely annoying.

That is not what the mature filters are for, they are for filtering out the existing content that is leaning NSFW - there is no plan to change the type of items the store will carry.

• Seven193 said:

What version of Daz Studio will work with Genesis 9?

Live stream video was using "Daz Studio 4.20 Pro Publishing Build", but I'm just wondering if we will be forced to upgrade to DS 4.21 in mid-October?

4.21.x.x - which, as I understand it, will essentially be what is in the 4.20.1.x branch that is already available as the Public Build.

• Just glad I didn't buy into 8.1

The V9 figure preorder is $42/$30 for Daz+. That's an "I'll wait" for me. I think I will get more value and enjoyment from buying a quarterly Daz+ membership for the fall sales. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

AbyssalEros said:

Okay, I have to ask that.
    First, I have to confess that the G9 with that unimesh system looks better than I expected.
    The future will prove if the new generation can really create male-looking males and female-looking females. I had serious doubts about that, as biological there is nothing like the half-female/half-male they use as the base for Genesis 9.
    But that is not my problem.
    While it was asked in the chat of the stream if there will be gens and it was certified there will be gens coming with G9, I couldn't help but notice that the mesh had NO distinctive polygons for nipples.
    Will the new generation still have them (I am not talking about the texture) or are they removed for good (or worse, for artists who want realistic figures)?

Those will be HD morphs (included AFAIK)

• Richard Haseltine said:

alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

My understanding was that those were part of Genesis 9, not Victoria 9, and so would be free if they were  in Starter Essentials (though it did look as if Jay also had the, presumably non-free, morph packs so we can't take that as read)

This is more or less what I thought. Roll on mid-October.

Cheers,

Alex.  

• Great figure but not for me. If it means getting some super machine to use it then this isn't a hobby anymore.

• Philippi_Child said:

Great figure but not for me. If it means getting some super machine to use it then this isn't a hobby anymore.

Why do you think it will need a super machine? The emsh resolution was said to have doubled - I'm not sure if that is literal or approximate but it should be no mor than one division level, so just knock the Viewport divsiions down to 0 and render to 2 or three instead of three or four. Map size should be avoidable, the Viewport uses reduced resolutioin by default and Iray can compress even if you don't want to use the likes of Scene Optimiser.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Sevrin said:

AbyssalEros said:

I couldn't help but notice that the mesh had NO distinctive polygons for nipples.
    Will the new generation still have them (I am not talking about the texture) or are they removed for good (or worse, for artists who want realistic figures)?

Those will be HD morphs (included AFAIK)

Meaning, only DAZ PA's can make or change them and whatever is done, can only be sold here at the DAZ shop... Hmm, doesn't sound that promising?...

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Masterstroke said:

Victoria 9 promos remind me so much of actress Juliene Moore.
    Julianne Moore – Google Suche

She did to me too. Unfortunately, I never liked the look of Juliene Moore. LOL But, the world contains all kinds and I like my library to as well ;).

V3Digitimes said:

Seven193 said:

Some people may not want 8k textures, so I hope there is a tool or script to down-convert 8K to 4K.

Two main reasons why I deleted 8k and 16k HDR textures, is one, to save hard drive space (any file over 100MB is scrutinized and deleted), and two, it will most likely crash my graphics card due to its larger size.

You have my "Scene Optimizer" specially dedicated to fit in video cards huge scenes, or scenes with huge texture maps and which will do what you ask (you can choose how much you reduce the texture maps and create new lower resolution maps which are automatically applied where they should be applied on the figures and props you want to process). It was mentionned in the video presentation yesterday. If you want to delete your 8K maps, you just run the optimizer, save your figure with its new maps, and you can delete old maps.

edit : it's not the only things the optimizer does, you can also remove useless maps, store/restore original maps on given objects or surfaces, disable heavy elements, change figure resolutions,  etc, etc, and you have a few options for instances.

Not to mention that figures in the distance don't even need subD OR textures at all. Plain, flat colors and they will look just fine ;)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Richard Haseltine said:

Philippi_Child said:

Great figure but not for me. If it means getting some super machine to use it then this isn't a hobby anymore.

Why do you think it will need a super machine? The emsh resolution was said to have doubled - I'm not sure if that is literal or approximate but it should be no mor than one division level, so just knock the Viewport divsiions down to 0 and render to 2 or three instead of three or four. Map size should be avoidable, the Viewport uses reduced resolutioin by default and Iray can compress even if you don't want to use the likes of Scene Optimiser.

Jay Versluis described the machine that he was using (48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, 3090 and 2080 graphics cards), which sounds like a fairly super machine to me. Then he added that he wasn't turning on View SubD because it would make everything too slow. On the plus side, G9 did seem to render quite briskly (it would be disappointing if it didn't with a 3090 under the hood).

Jay said that a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM should be able to cope with V9, but he wasn't sure about a 4GB card. I don't know what most DAZ Studio users have in their machines, but if the entry-level requirement is now an 8GB GPU, that's certainly going to shut out some part of the user base.

No one's forced to upgrade to G9, of course. But it does sound as if it'll have noticeably bigger demands when it comes to hardware resources than the previous generation, so that anyone who wants to play with the New Hotness may need to consider taking their equipment up a level or two.

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365
    edited September 2022

Either nobody has asked or I simply missed the post,,, 

Will the new G9 mesh come with G8-8.1M/G8-8.1F UV options?

If not does someone have a product in the pipeline and will that be released fairly quick after G9 goes live?

EDIT: Looks like this was answered in a different thread.

Post edited by Brugan on
  • bytescapes said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Philippi_Child said:

Jay Versluis described the machine that he was using (48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, 3090 and 2080 graphics cards), which sounds like a fairly super machine to me. Then he added that he wasn't turning on View SubD because it would make everything too slow. On the plus side, G9 did seem to render quite briskly (it would be disappointing if it didn't with a 3090 under the hood).

Jay said that a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM should be able to cope with V9, but he wasn't sure about a 4GB card. I don't know what most DAZ Studio users have in their machines, but if the entry-level requirement is now an 8GB GPU, that's certainly going to shut out some part of the user base.

No one's forced to upgrade to G9, of course. But it does sound as if it'll have noticeably bigger demands when it comes to hardware resources than the previous generation, so that anyone who wants to play with the New Hotness may need to consider taking their equipment up a level or two.

As far I remember, the pc he is using for this video is to slow, the system with the two xeons is his other working system.

There will be the default G9 figure. Let's wait and see. 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited September 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

jjmainor said:

captainalvord said:

Noah LGP said:

Unified Figure ? Does it mean like Genesis (Generation 5) ?

Yes, like Genesis 1.  Both Female and Male in one base Genesis 9. 

With all the complaints about loading times on a base G8F with all the character morphs, imagine how much longer it's going to take when the figure has to load both male and female character morphs.

not long if you don't buy many cheeky 

... and if you don't convert many previous characters frown

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited September 2022

So V9 Male is included ?

I note the return of realistic skin textures instead of the plastic of G3/G8

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Brugan said:

Either nobody has asked or I simply missed the post,,, 

Will the new G9 mesh come with G8-8.1M/G8-8.1F UV options?

If not does someone have a product in the pipeline and will that be released fairly quick after G9 goes live?

Now that the eyeballs and inner mouth are broken out as separate on G9, I don't even know if the G9 mesh CAN have G8/8.1 uv options without some fancy geograft stuff going on.

• I don't have the stones to go through things to find an answer, but did the livestream talk about or show if poses from G8/8.1 are useable with G9 out of the box (and vice versa), or is that another nickle 'n dime 'em thing where a PA has to come up with a pose converter for it to happen?

• no noseno nose Posts: 299

Panzer Emerald said:

I don't have the stones to go through things to find an answer, but did the livestream talk about or show if poses from G8/8.1 are useable with G9 out of the box (and vice versa), or is that another nickle 'n dime 'em thing where a PA has to come up with a pose converter for it to happen?

From what I saw they do partially work, but will need some tweaking. And yeah apparantly there is already a product on the way to "fix" it

• bytescapes said:

Jay Versluis described the machine that he was using (48GB RAM, dual Xeon CPUs, 3090 and 2080 graphics cards), which sounds like a fairly super machine to me. Then he added that he wasn't turning on View SubD because it would make everything too slow. 

Bear in mind that Jay was streaming, maintaining at least one chat window so he could see what the moderators posted, and the YouTube window to see what viewers were posting - all of which can be resource drains.

bytescapes said:

Jay said that a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM should be able to cope with V9, but he wasn't sure about a 4GB card.

When I heard his comment about not "being sure about a 4GB card", I would have commented about it if I had figured how to comment (not a fan of YT/not using it), as 4GB card would be a non-RTX card, which means that almost all of the VRAM is taken by the baseloads of W10, DS, the scene, RTX emulation and the needed Working Space.

Although, in testing I have reduced the VRAM consumption of G8F with clothing and hair down to just 12MB's, that figure would only be usable as a backgroung character (in a crowd), normally a G8 figure with clothing and hair takes 800MB's to 1.5GB's of VRAM and G9 would take more - 4 times more if calculated just by the memory consumption of 4K vs 8K textures and maps.

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 670
    edited September 2022

Autofitting G8 clothes on G9 approx 1:20:00

Post edited by zombiewhacker on

Panzer Emerald said:

I don't have the stones to go through things to find an answer, but did the livestream talk about or show if poses from G8/8.1 are useable with G9 out of the box (and vice versa), or is that another nickle 'n dime 'em thing where a PA has to come up with a pose converter for it to happen?

There was a pose converter in the works by ManFriday that I'm going to assume will be a separate purchase, but that's pretty standard with each generation.

• Personally, can't say Im excited. Gonna stick with G8. This doesn't seem so appealing to me at this point in time especially due to the amount I've invested already. Only time and some really good products of my interests may change my stance on this. In any case, it's good to see that content is still being made and improvements etc.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Panzer Emerald said:

Jay demonstrated a script that would apply G8/G8.1 poses to G9, which had been developed by one of the PAs. It looked as if it worked pretty well (although I did notice that on one of the poses he demonstrated, the hand intersected the figure's thigh).

He didn't say whether the script would be a product sold by the PA or not, but I'd think it would be a smart move for DAZ to buy that script and bundle it with either the figure or with DAZ Studio 4.21. Being able to re-use previously-purchased content will be a big factor in takeup of Genesis 9, and given that DAZ is betting on Genesis 9 as their major breadwinner for perhaps the next 5 years or so, they have an incentive to make the transition as smooth as possible.

• Please tell me the Genesis 8.1 facial pose controls have gone in Genesis 9?! They are inferior on several levels to the Genesis 8 controls. 

Yes, I know there is a work around, but I have never been able to get it to work - and why aren't the Genesis 8 facial controls just available as standard for 8.1 in Studio interface if they are actually still there in the background? 

What I find ridiculous is if you filter by context with an 8.1 figure it still shows you the 8 facial poses even though they don't work on 8.1! Someone please explain the logic behind that one to me? 

For me, expressions are very important in my art, and so far I have not gone beyond Genesis 8 figures for this reason. I don't mind changing to something better, but 8.1 facial poses are worse in my opinion. 

robertsj_aus99 said:

Yes, I know there is a work around, but I have never been able to get it to work

If this does not work, it means you have the dummy files installed in several places (see note1)

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note 1; If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path
    Note 2; Do not remove any files from "FACS" or "FACSExpressions" folders