Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2022

More accurate/anatomically correct (Not the genitals) JCM Bend morphs!

I doubt it though as G8.1 did not have any but thankfully Daz went back to the original Genesis all-in-one format; unfortunately with the asymmetry, creating FBM/limbs will be made much more difficult as you would no longer be able to mirror your morphs without screwing up the entire figure! 

Learned that from trying to create limb morphs for G8.1, so I'm guessing there's a way to create limb morphs to transfer into Daz within Zbrush I just gotta figure out how!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,034

marble said:

Joking, right?

I would never. 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2022

xyer0 said:

Rope in EmmaAndJordi, Rarestone/Ravenstone, & Zev0/Dogz to do Genesis 9 versions of their Genesis 8 head morph products NOW. Get K.H. Image Studio to fix the bends NOW.

YES! Seconded! I rely solely on their morphs, it's just too bad K.H. Image Studio have gone silent with V8.1… 

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • outrider42 said:

bytescapes said:

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

The reason his system would get slow has nothing to do with his GPU. Remember Daz is single threaded, so using a workstation CPU is actually a detriment to the in app performance. Workstation CPUs pack tons of cores, but each individual core is a lot slower than a good consumer desktop CPU. So because Daz Studio is still siingle threaded, he is only using one single core with Daz Studio. I have a 5800X, and I can keep 6 or 8 Genesis 8 charactrs at subdivision 2 or 3  in my viewport without any issues at all. A single HD character in an empty scene like he had would not even make my 5800X's one core that Daz uses sweat. LOL.

The texture resolution of any character is up to the PA who makes them. Victoria 9 has 8K textures, that does not mean every single Genesis 9 character will. And Jay was incorrect that no Genesis has ever had so much detail before. Several characters in the past have used 8K textures. Bluejaunte characters have had 8K spec maps for a long time. George 8 had 8K torso textures. I have made 8K textures myself to a degree. At any rate, while Victoria 9 has 8K textures others may not. That said it is likely that Vicktoria 9 probably sets the standard for other Daz Original 9 Core characters that follow.

Texture data is controlled by Iray's compression settings. So you can limit the data by changing the settings. And you can always downscale textures if you really need to. Textures are by far the easiest thing to deal with. I personally very much prefer having 8K textures, because it is easier to downscale than upscale. I like this move a lot. We have a product that automates downscaling textures for you, too. So this part is a non issue.

The next thing is mesh data. Now this is in question. Until we can see the actual poly counts of the models next to each other it is hard to say how well this translates in practical use. But we can't compress mesh data like textures. The only option I am aware of is Decimate, and I am not sure it even works anymore. In general, I like that we get a better base mesh. But at the same time, why we needed a better base mesh is because Daz refuses to allow its customers to edit a HD mesh.

This brings up a totally different question. In the video Jay said that the new body morphs already have HD included. This is great...maybe. Since the user cannot sculpt with HD, if the user sees something they don't like on a body morph, can they sculpt that out??? Just as an example, what about a big vein on a guy. The vein doesn't show on the base much, if any, but does at HD level. Can the user remove this vein by sculpting, or will the HD part of the morph still retain some form of that vein? The same goes for creases and wrinkles, like aging. Or that crease on the bottom of a glute. I remember this being an issue with Tara 8 and her face scar, which could not be fully removed by sculpting the mesh. Daz eventually updated the character, but that was an outlier. Most characters don't get updated that way.

So while the changes look nice on paper, anti consumer practices may get in the way. If we the consumer could edit HD mesh we wouldn't need these 2 changes to begin with.

Daz Studio is not simply single-threaded, some parts are but others are not.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Richard Haseltine said:

outrider42 said:

bytescapes said:

daveso said:

Are 8k textures going to render on my system? What are the specs?

During the presentation, Jay Versluis described his system -- 48GB RAM, dual Xeon processors, a 3090 and a 2080, which is a pretty beefy machine -- and he also kept saying that he didn't want to do certain things (I think it was turning on SubD for View) or his system would become very slow.

He also said that he thought that if you had 8GB of VRAM, "you'd be OK". And that he'd try to find out whether V9 would render on a 4GB VRAM card, or if you'd need to scale down her textures with an optimizer.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if V9 is going to be resource hungry. We know that she has 8K textures and double the polygon count of previous generations. So I think it's safe to assume that she will want all the resources you can throw at her. If you struggle with G8 figures now, you can probably expect to feel some pain.

The reason his system would get slow has nothing to do with his GPU. Remember Daz is single threaded, so using a workstation CPU is actually a detriment to the in app performance. Workstation CPUs pack tons of cores, but each individual core is a lot slower than a good consumer desktop CPU. So because Daz Studio is still siingle threaded, he is only using one single core with Daz Studio. I have a 5800X, and I can keep 6 or 8 Genesis 8 charactrs at subdivision 2 or 3  in my viewport without any issues at all. A single HD character in an empty scene like he had would not even make my 5800X's one core that Daz uses sweat. LOL.

The texture resolution of any character is up to the PA who makes them. Victoria 9 has 8K textures, that does not mean every single Genesis 9 character will. And Jay was incorrect that no Genesis has ever had so much detail before. Several characters in the past have used 8K textures. Bluejaunte characters have had 8K spec maps for a long time. George 8 had 8K torso textures. I have made 8K textures myself to a degree. At any rate, while Victoria 9 has 8K textures others may not. That said it is likely that Vicktoria 9 probably sets the standard for other Daz Original 9 Core characters that follow.

Texture data is controlled by Iray's compression settings. So you can limit the data by changing the settings. And you can always downscale textures if you really need to. Textures are by far the easiest thing to deal with. I personally very much prefer having 8K textures, because it is easier to downscale than upscale. I like this move a lot. We have a product that automates downscaling textures for you, too. So this part is a non issue.

The next thing is mesh data. Now this is in question. Until we can see the actual poly counts of the models next to each other it is hard to say how well this translates in practical use. But we can't compress mesh data like textures. The only option I am aware of is Decimate, and I am not sure it even works anymore. In general, I like that we get a better base mesh. But at the same time, why we needed a better base mesh is because Daz refuses to allow its customers to edit a HD mesh.

This brings up a totally different question. In the video Jay said that the new body morphs already have HD included. This is great...maybe. Since the user cannot sculpt with HD, if the user sees something they don't like on a body morph, can they sculpt that out??? Just as an example, what about a big vein on a guy. The vein doesn't show on the base much, if any, but does at HD level. Can the user remove this vein by sculpting, or will the HD part of the morph still retain some form of that vein? The same goes for creases and wrinkles, like aging. Or that crease on the bottom of a glute. I remember this being an issue with Tara 8 and her face scar, which could not be fully removed by sculpting the mesh. Daz eventually updated the character, but that was an outlier. Most characters don't get updated that way.

So while the changes look nice on paper, anti consumer practices may get in the way. If we the consumer could edit HD mesh we wouldn't need these 2 changes to begin with.

Daz Studio is not simply single-threaded, some parts are but others are not.

Specifically which parts??? Certainly some plugins may use more threads, but where in the base application does it use more than one?

Has this ever been clarified anywhere?

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 598
    edited September 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

y3kman said:

Ok, I'll gonna be that guy. Since the store already has mature filters, will Daz post nude renders of  the Genesis  9 figures? Buying figures and getting unwanted body hair, tan lines, mismatched torso and genital txtures, etc. is extremely annoying.

That is not what the mature filters are for, they are for filtering out the existing content that is leaning NSFW - there is no plan to change the type of items the store will carry.

I've never seen anything on here I consider NSFW! Maybe I have a high threshold. Out of curiosity, does someone have an example of what is considered NSFW?

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 598
    edited September 2022

PerttiA said:

Sevrin said:

AbyssalEros said:

I couldn't help but notice that the mesh had NO distinctive polygons for nipples.
    Will the new generation still have them (I am not talking about the texture) or are they removed for good (or worse, for artists who want realistic figures)?

Those will be HD morphs (included AFAIK)

Meaning, only DAZ PA's can make or change them and whatever is done, can only be sold here at the DAZ shop... Hmm, doesn't sound that promising?...

I expect we'll pretty soon see grafts to work around this limitation, but it's a little frustrating to see parts of the body that we all have can't be changed by consumers any more. Nipples won't cause me an issue, I don't think I ever made a nipple morph, but I'm sure there are people that do that will lose that ability.

(dupe removed)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Commission Luthbel, Mal3Imagery, & Mada to create clothes for Michael 9's bundle. If you're serious.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

I need photorealism. I'm not seeing anything special compared to Gen 8. Don't care more for updated rigging.

One thing I need is to zoom in on the eye and render a 6k x 6k pixel of just the eye. You can't do that with Gen 8. If I can do that with Gen 9, well...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I'm looking forward to this Victoria 9 & company. The expressions are so extremely improved and the way fat looks too.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

The Girl 9

The Guy 9

Ollie 9

Edie 9

Toon Generations for Genesis 9

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited September 2022

nonesuch00 said:

I'm looking forward to this Victoria 9 & company. The expressions are so extremely improved and the way fat looks too.

Yes, I am looking forward to Victoria 9 and Genesis 9 items, too.

I like expressions a lot, especially animated.

It is a pity, that Daz is not willing to reveal a details of the V9 bundle.

I also wonder, how and if Victoria 9 will transfer to Unity using Daz to Unity bridge.

Anyhow, great work on this new generation of the figures - well done.

Post edited by Artini on
  • I'm certainly going to struggle with the new specs. Really don't care much, the details, imao, worth it. My thoughts on this is that (maybe?) they are pushing us to use a GPU farm on a regular basis. Clever!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

It says V9 is the first figure to come with built in HD. Not true. All Mousso's characters do. The more I think about it, the less I'm interested in the human version of G9 but excited to see what happens with animal & creature morphs. I'll play with the free versions but I have sooooo much content for G8.1, G8 and everything below, I can't imagine a need for it. I do portraits that look fine closeup, the expressions look great (I have zillions to mix & match), I have several asymmetry morphs, and since most women wear makeup, you rarely see actual pores in real photos anyway but it's easy to have pores if I want with existing maps. I do mostly beauty & glamour (as well as heavily painted stylized characters) and skin imperfections would be removed in real photos anyway and skin details can easily be bumped up in Photoshop if needed. I ALWAYS do postwork anyway. I also prefer the old Uber shader to the new PBR ones.

The only thing that interests me is the animal morphs that are supposed to eventually come out and I really hope we can create our own animals and creatures with morph sets and not have to depend on PAs for completed animals only. I would definitely buy a lot of animal morphs and hope there are stylized and toon animal morphs as well. It would be so much fun to play around creating imaginary animals. and this will probably be the main reason I'd use G9. All in all I'm underwhelmed with V9 and have way too much invested in existing characters & content and not going to buy everything all over again. I'll probably get some Mousso characters at some point and maybe some morphs but can't imagine investing heavily into it at all except for animal morphs, fur and textures if they become available. 

I really, really hope that hair creators continue to support G8. I'd be really disappointed if no new hair was available for G8s. Everything else I have enough of to last 5 lifetimes! 

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386

i would like to express my humble opinion on the Genesis 9 presentation we watched the other day...Having a new versatile figure is always a good thing... we shouldnt complain about this...

Generally its a good thing to have 8k textures...which will be only usefull to extremelly close - ups... Major issue is that you need to have a super powerfull computer and that means that you need to pay additional money on pc upgrade parts....

The most urgent thing that Daz needs to adress quickly is Studio's speed optimization...  im pretty sure that even the new figure can "run" quicker if we all understand that we live in a world with real time graphics that are better than our renders... i mean our 2080 cards can render real time super amazing details...

im wondering why iray struggles that much with preview rendering....filament was a great idea...

we live in a world that speed is essential!!! quality for sure....but top priority should be speed....time is something very expensive nowadays....

i want to thank everybody who has worked hard for the new figure!!! Daz is heading always on the right way (im excluding NFT ...that was a small stepback) ...

p.s. Daz people...think about it please... if people are struggling with delayed previews and render of Genesis 9 then that would be a failure for the new figure...everybody would stuck with genesis 8...same story as v4 and m4 for years,...
    if you will be able to optimize daz studio to follow up....that would be a certain success story!!!! anyway...thank you for all the hard work!!!

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,127
    edited September 2022
    No more grey tear geometry in renders, please. AND no more turning into black-eyed children in renders when being far away from the 0,0,0 coordinates, thank you very much.
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2022

I think it's really great to have the opportunity to be able to render realistic closeup renders, with more realistic expressions. On my side, each time a new figure will be out, I’ll keep to original figure for close ups and I’ll create an additional copy :  lower rez preset (if necessary) with lower textures size of the figure for more “distant” scenes, which will be for my GPU ‘as if I was working with G8’. Plus, if I understood well Genesis 9 “base” will basically be free, so it’s not expensive to give a try to the new features!

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,034

Wonderland said:

It says V9 is the first figure to come with built in HD. Not true. All Mousso's characters do.

Mousso's characters are neither core figures nor the base figure. They're add-on characters to G3 and G8, which were not natively HD.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2022

I'd like to see a lot of resources, like morphs, textures and shaders packs for G9. Those would be more useful, than endless characters.
    Base G8 resolution characters for background and environment and one main G9 foreground character is, what I need for a scene.
    All rise or fall with a G8 to G9 character transformer.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • For starters, I hope they find something similar to Rarestone morph packs for next generation. At least I found those really good for current gen. For future, I hope Daz Studio 5 brings some real tech advancements for the figures.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,018
    edited September 2022

AndrewJJP said:

Richard Haseltine said:

y3kman said:

Ok, I'll gonna be that guy. Since the store already has mature filters, will Daz post nude renders of  the Genesis  9 figures? Buying figures and getting unwanted body hair, tan lines, mismatched torso and genital txtures, etc. is extremely annoying.

That is not what the mature filters are for, they are for filtering out the existing content that is leaning NSFW - there is no plan to change the type of items the store will carry.

I've never seen anything on here I consider NSFW! Maybe I have a high threshold. Out of curiosity, does someone have an example of what is considered NSFW?

Mostly lingerie and stuff that's intended to be sexy. The promo images for a lot of those are basically pinups. It's confusing that "NSFW" has become synonymous with erotica, because I think the original definition applies here--it's stuff the average person wouldn't want to have to explain to anyone if they were seen browsing the site at work. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • I want my custom G8 character to be available on G9. Custom as in "Modelled for me by TritiumCG", not custom as in "Tweaked from morph packs". That'll probably require something like RiversoftArt's G3->G8 morph transfer utility. That would be useful.

Regards,

Richard.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,093
    I want that Shape Rigger Plus product for G9.
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

AndrewJJP said:

Richard Haseltine said:

y3kman said:

I guess it depends on where you work?  In our open office layout, I wouldn't have wanted to spend my lunch hour on my work computer browsing the Daz site.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Dartanbeck said:

I mentioned earlier that we may have to up our game when it comes to computers. What I was referring to is the V9's 8K textures. 

Mada said in another thread that G9's texture maps were 4K, but the detail maps were 8K. Also, the detail maps don't load as a default; so, you could just load them for closeups. 

• M-CM-C Posts: 101

Mendoman said:

For future, I hope Daz Studio 5 brings some real tech advancements for the figures.

That´s what I actually expected from a new generation.
    Victoria 9 looks great but I struggle to see that big of an improvement over what Mousso or bluejaunte could give us with their figures. In fact one of the "big new features" - the 8k detail maps have allready been used by bluejaunte before.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

M-C said:

Mendoman said:

For future, I hope Daz Studio 5 brings some real tech advancements for the figures.

That´s what I actually expected from a new generation.
    Victoria 9 looks great but I struggle to see that big of an improvement over what Mousso or bluejaunte could give us with their figures. In fact one of the "big new features" - the 8k detail maps have allready been used by bluejaunte before.

That is why the announcement of G9 at this time with the meager improvements compared to what was expected, was such a disappointment as it also means that the figure people were/are waiting for, just moved 3 to 6 years into the future. 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I actually haven't seen anything in the bending department, how more realistic is the posing in this generation? Anyone who can chip in? I fell asleep during the late night presentation of V9 so if it was shown I might have missed it.

• I want to see Gen 9 turn into a truckyes