Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Rogerbee said:

Well, the 'free copy' of Photoshop was CS2 and that turned out to be legit! If malware were to be a problem, I suspect the Linux crew would create something to combat it.

CHEERS!

No,  The copy of CS2 that was taken to be free was actually only supposed to be free to people who already held a CS2 license.  Technically it is not a free copy of Photshop if you don't own a CS2 license

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    Rogerbee said:
    kyoto kid said:

...been with Windows since 3.0.  Tried Linux years ago and went back to MS because I also didn't like having to programme instructions to do tasks.

With the new policies enacted by MS however, Windows has now become just as complicated if not more if you wish to permanently to remove (not just turn off) the undesired features. A friend who is in systems development sent me an article that mentions even if you think you have defeated all the privacy invading "features", 10 still continues to collect information on your routines and habits. The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers.

This is what is prodding me to look more into Linux and why I'm hoping that by the time Win7 reaches it's EOL in four and a half years, something will have come along to allow Daz and other graphics software to run on it without issue. That is a long time given how quickly the tech curve is moving.

Yes, Macs are expensive but in effect so is downtime caused by a buggy update (which has occurred twice now only a few weeks apart), paying what effectively amounts to a monthly ransom to not be bothered with ads when using OS features, being spammed about things you don't want, and possibly having your private information be put at risk of being compromised.  Nothing is "hack proof" not even Wall Street as occurred just this past weekend.

If we can get the current DS working with WINE then Linux will be all go. There's something to try, but, I don't know if anyone has yet. The only thing that worries me is that all the hackers might wonder why there's nobody left to hack, find we've all gone over to Linux and go after us there!

CHEERS!

Very true. I think that two of the reasons there is less malware on Linux are that the hackers don't think it's worth the effort for so few people, and a large percentage of Linux users are techies and less likeley to be caught. If the Linux user  base starts filling up with people who will go for stuff like "click this link for a free copy of Photoshop" the hackers will move to Linux. And I expect they'll all be complaining on the dark web how difficult it is to maintain Windows and Linux versions of their malware.

After doing a bunch of research into win10 and how to hack its core. I say your right , sort of...  Linux and Unix do not have enough users to make it worth the hackers time to code for it. Hackers tend to go after the OS that is most popular. , and from what I have been reading the hackers are all looking for work around on windows 10 as well, they don't like it either. ..  If you have membership to participate in the Hackers forum.. this is HTTP version of what they have been discussing.. the hackers HATE win10 as much as we do..lol  http://www.hackforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=347 ; I can't say if that is good or a bad thing..lol

Though there is a torrent browser version of the hackers forum which is the only access for the the dark web resources, where there is actually  some really good hacks for win10 power consumption. shutting off windows10 features  etc. but those links are not sharable on regular browser that use HTML.& besides I would  not be allowed to post such things on the Daz forum because of the morality & Illegality of such forum which are not allowed by Daz TOS.

But my guess is it wonl't be long before windows 10 is no better or safer than the rest of the MS OSs   Yea just have to give the hackers a little time to figure it out..  Hackers love them or hate them , they are what drive the movitvation into developing a more secure OS system. so my guess is Linux would still be be safer than windows.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    edited August 2015
    kyoto kid said:

...The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers....

If you are totally disconnected from the Net you don't really need updates to AV and anti-malware software since your computer won't be exposed to malware unless you install it yourself. And most system updates are to protect your computer from malware that comes browsing the web or getting emails. Basically you need an internet connection to protect yourself from the effects of an internet connection.

Of course not being able to get the latest content from Daz would be a problem smiley

...you still need protection even if you plan to transfer and install anything to it downloaded to a USB stick on another system. Also, driver updates are usually performance rather than security oriented. Depending on the vendor, you may still need a connection for them to verify your system's setup/compliance before the update can be installed. That cannot performed via a USB stick.

Actually you can install Daz content with the DIM without a Net connection.  All you have to do is go into Users > Public Documents> Daz3D > Install Manager > Downloads and copy or move the .zip there from whatever transfer media you are using. You can then run the DIM in offline mode to instal it.  True, you won't get any future updates or fixes to content or plugins posting in the DIM unless you are connected (so you'll have to keep an eye on the Updates Thread).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Hopefully someone can post when its safe to try 10. I know I can upgrade and roll back if not happy, but its alot of hassle..

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers....

If you are totally disconnected from the Net you don't really need updates to AV and anti-malware software since your computer won't be exposed to malware unless you install it yourself. And most system updates are to protect your computer from malware that comes browsing the web or getting emails. Basically you need an internet connection to protect yourself from the effects of an internet connection.

Of course not being able to get the latest content from Daz would be a problem smiley

...you still need protection even if you plan to transfer and install anything to it downloaded to a USB stick on another system. Also, driver updates are usually performance rather than security oriented. Depending on the vendor, you may still need a connection for them to verify your system's setup/compliance before the update can be installed. That cannot performed via a USB stick.

Actually you can install Daz content with the DIM without a Net connection.  All you have to do is go into Users > Public Documents> Daz3D > Install Manager > Downloads and copy or move the .zip there from whatever transfer media you are using. You can then run the DIM in offline mode to instal it.  True, you won't get any future updates or fixes to content or plugins posting in the DIM unless you are connected (so you'll have to keep an eye on the Updates Thread).

Well, actually - no, not in my experience. My main system is permanently off-net as my home internet is dial-up and I refuse to install a modem on it. So I drag my old XP laptop off to Starucks frequently to fire up DIM and do my downloads. Also, any other downloads larger than 10 to 12 MB.I download to a 1 TB USB drive; when I get home, I copy the content to one of three systems depending on what it is. Doing it this way, DIM can tell me about updates even if nothing installs on the laptop, as long as the USB drive is up andx running (showed 3 today).

I've also not run into any drivers that need to validate a system before download - and that includes Nvidia and the drivers for my Epson scanner.

I do not run active AV tools on the laptop - and today's MalwareBytes scan just came up clean (again).

The biggest problem I run into is tracking down full installers for some softwsare and not just the bootstrap installers.

...I'd do the same myself, however my notebook is beginning to show it's years as last week I started to experience the display simply blanking out on me. I've been looking on various tech forums for a solution, but in all the suggestions I read and received so far, haven't found one that works on a permanent basis yet. The display doesn't go completely black as the backlight still gets power so it has to be something else than the wiring. If I can get it to stay on for at least a good part of a day, I can dump everything to a 1 TB USB HD backup I have (only about 250 GB worth).  

As to having Net service at home I still find it is more cost effective than paying 4 - 5 $ to sit at the corner Starbucks every day to DL and get caught up on emails (which I need ot do on a daily basis for jobs and dealing with finding a new place to live). In less than two weeks worth of visits I'd have a full month of home Net service (useable any time of the day, not just when SB is open) paid for.

kyoto kid said:

...I'd do the same myself, however my notebook is beginning to show it's years as last week I started to experience the display simply blanking out on me. I've been looking on various tech forums for a solution, but in all the suggestions I read and received so far, haven't found one that works on a permanent basis yet. The display doesn't go completely black as the backlight still gets power so it has to be something else than the wiring. If I can get it to stay on for at least a good part of a day, I can dump everything to a 1 TB USB HD backup I have (only about 250 GB worth).  

As to having Net service at home I still find it is more cost effective than paying 4 - 5 $ to sit at the corner Starbucks every day to DL and get caught up on emails (which I need ot do on a daily basis for jobs and dealing with finding a new place to live). In less than two weeks worth of visits I'd have a full month of home Net service (useable any time of the day, not just when SB is open) paid for.

I understand completely. My laptop is pushing 8 years old at this point and already had the MB replaced once - luckily, under the corporate service contract from my former employer (I bought out my work laptop when I retired). Also, I'm lucky in that my income, although 'fixed' is not really 'limited' even though I lost about half the value of my 401k between the time I picked my retirement date in June of 08 and walked out the door in May of 09.

But dial-up from home is my only home option - with a 3.5 hour connect limit on any one call, so downloads much over 40+ MB need to be restartable to even be attempted. But I do most of my email, all on-line banking, and most forum browsing from home. I'd really prefer to stay home, but 3D art and low bandwidth limited-time connections just do not mix.

...ugh, it's been ages since I dealt with a dial up connection.  Had one of those "budget" wireless services several years ago that really wasn't much better. No download or usage limits but excruciatingly slow and not always stable either.

Also the local Starbucks in my neighbourhood changed their seating arrangement so most of the wall plugs are by tables where someone can sit right next to you and easily look over your shoulder at what you are doing (which can be embarrassing given some of content promos that appear in the store).

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

how about this -

Apple squashes serious security bug with update to Mac OS X

The latest version of Mac OS X -- 10.10.5 -- fixes a serious security hole that was first reported in early July

nothing is safe !

kyoto kid said:

...ugh, it's been ages since I dealt with a dial up connection.  Had one of those "budget" wireless services several years ago that really wasn't much better. No download or usage limits but excruciatingly slow and not always stable either.

Also the local Starbucks in my neighbourhood changed their seating arrangement so most of the wall plugs are by tables where someone can sit right next to you and easily look over your shoulder at what you are doing (which can be embarrassing given some of content promos that appear in the store).

Yeah, dial-up sux - I've too many trees in the way to even try satellite, and the two wireless providers have their nearest antennas on the other side of the trees. I'm in a rural area and half the neighbors are either Amish or Old Order Mennonites so the phone company hasn't been interested in upgrading services.

My local Starbucks is mostly round tables just slightly larger than a laptop with two straight-back chairs each, with two longish tables (6 and 10 seats), two relatively nice armchairs and two older wing-backs whose springs gave out years ago - and the furniture fairies come in early every six weeks or so to re-arrange the seating. Just to be on the safe side I carry a 9 foot extension cord with me.

I used to do the local library, but they changed wireless access to an intercept and I could never get connected after that - even working with the tec h support guy. And I've 20 years of IP networking experience. Quite frustrating, that was. On the bright side, Starbucks is now google fiber so my downloads are quite fast when I'm there.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Sorry if this has been covered extensively, but... is there a way to stop, suspend, or block nightly updates? Kind of a problem when I like to run long renders overnight.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

There is an advanced option for HOME users to schedule the updates .... Settings> Windows Update section (lower right side of the panel) and then click the Advanced Options> Choose how updates are installed..... there is a drop down with the option to schedule there. 

Thank you, another friend just linked that, too. Heh. Awesome.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Does that allow one to stop them permanently, or is it only deferred for a while?

Can you choose to block just one update, or is it all or nothing?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395

Security updates can't be stopped only feature updates can be deferred and only for a month but only in Pro and Enterprise versions

You can schedule the restart by having windows notify you that a restart is needed 

Settings-update and security-advanced options-choose how updates are installed select notify to schedule restart

Yeah, I set it to notify on restart. I have no problem with automatic updates, I'd just like my 8 hour render not to get lost 7 hours in.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970

Still not got it, so I asked a friend who has and he had created an ISO on a USB stick which he has lent me.  So later today, probably after lunch, I shall give it a whirl!

Yea, that's how I got it installed.  The actual "update" path kept failing on me so I downloaded the 3 gigs to the USB Flash stick and did it that way.  I like it so far.  It's not that different and so far all my programs work.  Only had to re register ONE so far.  That's it.  ZBrush, DS, Photoshop, Poser... all work... no reinstall.  That sort of upgrade is a step in the right direction! 

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

And I dressed my win8.1 pro in new T-Shirt , since I work on touch screen much easy to navigate stuff  cheeky

new-win-81.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 402K
    new-win-81-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 375K
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

And I dressed my win8.1 pro in new T-Shirt , since I work on touch screen much easy to navigate stuff  cheeky

Nice. I wonder does anyone here use QTTabBar? It provides tab navigation in Explorer.

Something nice happened to me that seems to have been fixed during the last few Windows updates. My Windows 10 now boots faster than my previous Windows 7! Before it was taking about 5 times longer.

Update: I had the wrong link to QTTabBar.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    MEC4D said:

That's interesting, that theme looks a lot like Ubuntu.

CHEERS!

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

No it is Yosemite Theme . They have also win10 theme for win.8.1 and many other great styles .

Btw did you read the news today about M$ taking control over pirated software and hardware  running on your win10 ? as the EULA you agree with while installing win10 allow them to uninstall anything they find suspicious , hardware included . Nice move especially if they remove and block something by mistake lol talking about control , also soon there will be no option to when download updates what will hit the users on a limited internet access hard, the only option you will get soon will be when to reboot as all updates will download automatic . 

You KNOW that's going to happen. Sooner or later it WILL happen.

Want your critical software from which you earn your living uninstalled without your permission?

Get Windows 10. wink

[EDIT: Actually that policy reminds me an awful lot of the disastrous Norton Anti-Virus "Download Intelligence" - you know, the system that deletes a downloaded file automatically if nobody else has downloaded it before. Maybe the coders who worked on that have joined the 10 Team at the Top Table. If so ... this is just the beginning]

Post edited by acanthis on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

No it is Yosemite Theme . They have also win10 theme for win.8.1 and many other great styles .

Hmm, I wonder who nicked it from who then!? Look at this pic of Ubuntu.

CHEERS!

th.jpg
    480 x 298 - 10K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited August 2015

Not really, you can hide the toolbar menu in windows when you patch it as by default the options are not available to users , you can make and share any themes based on anything as long it is free.

there is not too much you can do with a window frame so they look much a like

Rogerbee said:
    MEC4D said:

Hmm, I wonder who nicked it from who then!? Look at this pic of Ubuntu.

CHEERS!

Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

they going to target first fake game software in first place and not authentic hardware  , but that can be risky so total agree ..  the doors was not for you but for them 

Autmatic removal of software if M$ thinks it is suspicious? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. It reminds me a bit of the old days on the Amiga. Back then no-one had hard drives, eveyone booted from floppies and most viruses installed themselves in the boot blocks on floppies. Then someone thought it was a good idea to create a helful virus that wouldn'y do any harm but would re-write any non-standard boot blocks it found. Only problem was most games used non-standard boot blocks for copy protection so their helpful virus made peoples games unusable. Whenever someone thinks they know better than everyone else it usually ends badly. Haven't they seen any of those old films where they give a supercomputer control of the nuclear deterrent?

And I mostly ignore Norton's so called "insight". I do a bit of programming and usually if I compile a program on my desktop and put it on  memory stick, Norton on my laptop tells me it is suspicious and I should remove it immediatly. If this was non-overridable it would be a real problem.

...hmm, like open source software maybe...?

As to Norton Insight.  It was spot on concerning AdobeAir. Over the last couple weeks I kept getting a popup to update and when I finally decided to click on it,  Insight flagged it as a risk and removed teh installer.  So I did a little looking into things and yes, AdobeAir is actually very vulnerable and not recommended. So I uninstalled the previous version. This resulted in a "0x0000000" BSOD after which I reset the system and then I checked the event log.  Sure enough, the shutdown was due to AdobeAir. I also notice since removing it I no longer get lags when online in FF which had become increasingy worse as time went on that not only impacted scrolling and opening pages/new tabs, but entering text as I am doing right now.

If I remember correctly Adobe Air or a Flash update also auto installed all the "AskToolbar" rubbish (recommended by several sources to be removed from your system as it too is vulnerable) that I removed last night with MalwareBytes.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

@Kyoto ... not exactly , here is the statment exactly

===============================================

Microsoft Windows 10 comes with yet another caveat. If you are running any pirated games or counterfeit software on your Windows 10 machine, then according to the latest addition to the European License Agreement terms of conditions Microsoft has the power to remotely uninstall such software.

This statement was spotted by PC Authority in the EULA and lets Microsoft not only disable counterfeit software but also hardware. According to Section 7b or “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms,” part of the Microsoft Services end user license agreement (EULA)

===============================================

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

Hmmmm, how would they know if a software was used with a stolen serial number or one the user actually paid for?  Or here is a hypothetical question, what if someone used pirated software but activated it with a serial that they paid with real money?  I am not avocating piracy at all but just wondering how would Windows know?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395

Have you seen this in the M$ EULA

To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content 

They can't do that.  Gotta research that a bit more. 

usually each software copy has unique serial so that is not big deal to track, a years ago there was already software to track even zip files that include hidden code .

if the serial number does not reflect the sold serial numbers provided by the reseller or seller  it will be blocked no matter how you pay for, that why expensive software makers tell you to purchase software only by own authorized dealers to avoid fake copies . But the total content is not bad as it will fight the piracy , as long they do it right and don't mess with the good guys computers .

Hmmmm, how would they know if a software was used with a stolen serial number or one the user actually paid for?  Or here is a hypothetical question, what if someone used pirated software but activated it with a serial that they paid with real money?  I am not avocating piracy at all but just wondering how would Windows know?