New video card, new problem

I can't find any information on this.  Perhaps I'm not searching the right terms or maybe I just need to submit a ticket, but I thought I'd ask the community first.  I have an RTX 3060, was working great.  Decided to upgrade by adding an RTX3090 to it.  Now the problem, the iray engine isn't using it because of errors.  Relevant section of the log below.  This was generated when I disabled the 3060 in render settings to see what would happen.  I shutdown DAZ and cleared the studio and dson cache directories, but that didn't seem to help or change anything.

Anyone have a suggestion?

2022-11-29 19:17:00.866 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - OPTX:RENDER ::   1.0   OPTX   rend error: COMPILE ERROR: Failed to compile module from cache data for key ptx-1076937-key93c70b947f0a2c0832e10845a517691d-sm_86-rtc1-drv526.98
2022-11-29 19:17:00.866 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - OPTX:RENDER ::   1.0   OPTX   rend error: Invalid subModule data for key ptx-1076937-key93c70b947f0a2c0832e10845a517691d-sm_86-rtc1-drv526.98
2022-11-29 19:17:00.866 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: optixModuleCreateFromPTX( m_optix_context, &module_opt,&pipeline_opt, ptx.first,ptx.second, nullptr,0, &module) failed: Invalid data in disk cache
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) is no longer available for rendering.
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: optixModuleDestroy(pop_ptr(m_ptx_module_wf)) failed: Invalid value
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) is no longer available for rendering.
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.
2022-11-29 19:17:00.867 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Device initialization failed, will not be used

Comments

• Maybe it's a driver issue, but why did you do this? If you want to render bigger scene that need more then 12gb vram the 3090 can deliver but not when the 3060 is also installed. They don't work together vram wise. You are limited with the 3060, Install another 3090 with nvlink and have 48gb vram.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I'm not sure but I believe both cards must have equal amounts of VRAM. Also, do you have both GPUs checked in the Advanced tab of the Renderer tab?

• JimbotiniJimbotini Posts: 44
    edited November 2022

I've tried both checked and only 1 checked at a time.  The 3060 works, but the 3090 fails with the messages above.  As far as a driver issue, I can verify it at least drives a monitor.  I'm at a stopping point again so I was going to pull the 3060 card and see what DAZ says with only the 3090 installed.

I also uninstalled DAZ and removed all files that weren't removed from that process, then reinstalled.  Miraculously, it didn't have to recompile iray drivers for 3060.  I don't know if it compiles those drivers on every render or if it stores them somewhere under my nose.

Post edited by Jimbotini on
  • With only the 3090 card installed, I still get the errors.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll put in a ticket.  As a side note, other things like games run fine on it.  So far, DAZ Studio is the only thing that doesn't seem to work with it.

• I just got a 3060, previously had a Quadro rtx4000. I gave the rtx4000 to my hubby, because the 3060 wouldn't fit in his tower (We bought it for him). So, I got his Quadro k5000 back (Which used to be mine before I got the rtx4000. So, I thought it would be clever to run my dual monitors on the Quadro, and use the 3060 strictly for rendering, in Daz Studio, NVidia Canvas, Blender, etc. And this is where things went sad.

I got them both installed, I got both monitors to run on the Quadro.But I can only get the Quadro drivers to load.
    When I try to load the 3060 drivers, the monitors quit working, and then Windows switches everything back unloading the drivers and re-installing the Quadro drivers.

I've tried running one monitor on the 3060 and one on the Quadro, and that works...but still no drivers for the 3060 working, so it doesn't work for Daz or anything else that I can tell. Even though Daz "Sees" both graphics cards, it's only rendering on the Quadro (which is WAY slower!).

I'm waiting on an adapter for one of the monitors which has an HDMI cord, so doesn't work on the 3060. So, until then I'm open to suggestions to how to get the 3060 to load the correct drivers and still have working monitors? Any ideas? As I only want the Quadro for running the monitors, I don't mind if it doesn't have the correct drivers, as long as it works.

Is this even possible? From research, I've found yes and no as answers, but no "how to". Thanks

Jimbotini said:

I've tried both checked and only 1 checked at a time.  The 3060 works, but the 3090 fails with the messages above.  As far as a driver issue, I can verify it at least drives a monitor.  I'm at a stopping point again so I was going to pull the 3060 card and see what DAZ says with only the 3090 installed.

I also uninstalled DAZ and removed all files that weren't removed from that process, then reinstalled.  Miraculously, it didn't have to recompile iray drivers for 3060.  I don't know if it compiles those drivers on every render or if it stores them somewhere under my nose.

For dForce simulation is recompiles the 1st time either:

1) Newer version of DAZ Studio is installed.

2) A new video card of a model never used before is installed.

3) In most cases when you upgrade the GPU drivers I'm thinking that doesn't cause the dForce code to recompile.

For renders I think it recompiles some low level stuff everytime but I am not 100% sure. Blender I think does that as well. I think it's DSP code being compiled for the various specialized compute units on the GPUs.

To more systemically test although it sounds like you've already organized it well enough, do it piece by piece to elimate the good configurations and write down the bad ones.

1) Take out the 3060 & put the 3090 in the 3060's slot.

2) Test render iRay in DS.

3) Work?

i)  yes - put the 3060 in the slot the 3090 was in before & test render in DAZ again.

a) Renders?

A) 3090 used & 3060 used? Good, you are done.

B) 3090 used & 3060 not? You bus does not support the two. Maybe you need a BIOS update. Check PS power distribution. Check Cards seated.

C) 3090 not & 3060 used? Shouldn't happen if i) worked. BIOS update. Check cards being seated. Check PS, maybe you need a bigger one.

D) 3090 not & 3060 not? Shouldn't happen if i) worked. Check cards seated. Check PS power. BIOS Update.    

ii) No renders?

a) uh-oh - If you've not already install Blender 3.3.x and download one of their free example scenes. Configure Blender to use both CUDA / OptiX in preferences (I think it will auto turn on these options). When you render make sure the render uses the nvidia GPU so you can test it.

b) Blender Renders?

a) Upgrade nVidia drivers to the newest studio version not the gaming version (a recent nVidia studio driver had dForce simulation bugs it is known but nvidia recently released new drivers to fix that).

b) Upgrade DAZ Studio

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

Jimbotini said:

Check device manager on the video cards and see if the 3090 is showing a driver error. Or install GPU-Z and check what it shows about the card. If the 3060 is working it may be a bad 3090.

• the_untold said:

Maybe it's a driver issue, but why did you do this? If you want to render bigger scene that need more then 12gb vram the 3090 can deliver but not when the 3060 is also installed. They don't work together vram wise. You are limited with the 3060, Install another 3090 with nvlink and have 48gb vram.

nonesuch00 said:

I'm not sure but I believe both cards must have equal amounts of VRAM. Also, do you have both GPUs checked in the Advanced tab of the Renderer tab?

There is no need to have two cards of equal size, nor does the samller card limit the memory available on the larger - Iray will, if both cards are enabled, use both if the scene fits on each; if the scene fits on the larger card but not the smaller then the smaller wil be dropped but the larger will still render.

Richard Haseltine said:

the_untold said:

Maybe it's a driver issue, but why did you do this? If you want to render bigger scene that need more then 12gb vram the 3090 can deliver but not when the 3060 is also installed. They don't work together vram wise. You are limited with the 3060, Install another 3090 with nvlink and have 48gb vram.

nonesuch00 said:

There is no need to have two cards of equal size, nor does the samller card limit the memory available on the larger - Iray will, if both cards are enabled, use both if the scene fits on each; if the scene fits on the larger card but not the smaller then the smaller wil be dropped but the larger will still render.

Oh, OK. I know there was some catch at using cards with 2 different vRAM sizes.

• nonesuch00 said:

Jimbotini said:

For dForce simulation is recompiles the 1st time either:

1) Newer version of DAZ Studio is installed.

2) A new video card of a model never used before is installed.

3) In most cases when you upgrade the GPU drivers I'm thinking that doesn't cause the dForce code to recompile.

For renders I think it recompiles some low level stuff everytime but I am not 100% sure. Blender I think does that as well. I think it's DSP code being compiled for the various specialized compute units on the GPUs.

To more systemically test although it sounds like you've already organized it well enough, do it piece by piece to elimate the good configurations and write down the bad ones.

1) Take out the 3060 & put the 3090 in the 3060's slot.

2) Test render iRay in DS.

3) Work?

i)  yes - put the 3060 in the slot the 3090 was in before & test render in DAZ again.

a) Renders?

A) 3090 used & 3060 used? Good, you are done.

B) 3090 used & 3060 not? You bus does not support the two. Maybe you need a BIOS update. Check PS power distribution. Check Cards seated.

C) 3090 not & 3060 used? Shouldn't happen if i) worked. BIOS update. Check cards being seated. Check PS, maybe you need a bigger one.

D) 3090 not & 3060 not? Shouldn't happen if i) worked. Check cards seated. Check PS power. BIOS Update.    

ii) No renders?

a) uh-oh - If you've not already install Blender 3.3.x and download one of their free example scenes. Configure Blender to use both CUDA / OptiX in preferences (I think it will auto turn on these options). When you render make sure the render uses the nvidia GPU so you can test it.

b) Blender Renders?

a) Upgrade nVidia drivers to the newest studio version not the gaming version (a recent nVidia studio driver had dForce simulation bugs it is known but nvidia recently released new drivers to fix that).

b) Upgrade DAZ Studio

I appreciate the different debugging procedures.  Blender works with the 3090, just like the games running with high graphics at 100+ fps.  I don't think I can enable/disable specific cards in Lightwave and/or Maya, but they seem to be working as expected.  DAZ dForce simulations work, and it did show a popup about compiling drivers for the 3090.  So this really seems like the only thing not working is DAZ's iray render.

• In case this helps someone else, some combination of completely removing DAZ Studeo (https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055963392-How-do-I-uninstall-delete-Daz-Studio-) and switching back to the game-ready nvidia drivers did the trick.